• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Crusader Kings 2] [Let's Play] Succession Game 4: Let the Dice Fall

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's not like there haven't been two adjacent polities claiming the same name in real life. When the Kingdom of Sicily got partitioned in the 13th century or so, the Kingdom of Sicily lost the entire island of Sicily, but still claimed the name (even if their neighbors started calling them the Kingdom of Naples). And even today, we've got two countries calling themselves China, even if most people call one of them Taiwan.

Jondera

For SCIENCE!
Validated User
Well.

Updates!

I'm busy enough dealing with other things that I don't want to go after my neighbor to the south, the Duke of Mari quite yet, but I want to keep an eye on him. And, as spymaster, I can do that.

In the meantime, it seems that Countess Ivanka's conversion to Olemaism was not in good faith! This is unforgivable! Into the dungeons with her!

I haven't turned up much actionable intel on the Duke of Mari, but hey. If I can't find useful dirt on him, I can just make it up. I'm good at this.

I've managed to buy enough support within the kingdom for my plot to have a chance of success. Maybe only a 60% chance of success, but hey.

And it worked! Yay! I now have a legitimate claim on the Kingdom of Nyekicenia

Of course, that claim would be much easier to work with if I were dealing with a 4-year old queen, rather than a 50-year old King. So...

Aside: Seriously, people. NEVER. KEEP. A. SPYMASTER. WHO. DOESN'T. LIKE. YOU.

Well maybe she should have thought about how much she didn't like my dungeons before she decided to be a blasphemous apostate traitor.

In other news, the Duke of Mari is officially boring. My spies can only watch him boning other dudes so many times.

So I'll spy on the kingdom's other duke instead. Surely he's got something of interest in one of his closets.

NOPE! Apparently not. Well, keep looking anyway.

Jondera

For SCIENCE!
Validated User
So, that plot I had cooking is ready to go.

(The astute will note that this screenshot was taken before the final screenshot in the previous post; I reversed them for narrative flow)

While I was busy making some minor adjustments to the staff rosters in the royal palace, the Duke of Mari looked me up with a bottle of wine in one hand and a broad grin on his face, asking to go carousing. I tentatively accept, but pledge to keep from drinking to much, as I am faithful to my wife and have no interest in that anyway.

I was not expecting him to be such an engaging conversationalist.

Anyway, the personnel assignments went off without a hitch, the King suffered a tragic accident, and all that. I am shocked, shocked, I tell you, at how lax the attitudes towards personal safety and building maintenance have been in the royal palace recently.

With the newly crowned queen all of four years old with no surviving family, obviously the realm will pass from her dynasty if she were to tragically die before she came of age and produced an heir (though surely such a tragedy would never occur). Then the kingdom would pass to a most deserving...

Wait, what? The Duke of Mari is both the regent AND the heir?

Sorry buddy. You may be good for a chat, but politics comes before friendship.

I start receiving notices that people in the kingdom are going into seclusion, and when one of my courtiers asks if I plan to close the gates of my fortress, I check around and... oh. Well.

This isn't great.

Going into seclusion does sound like a reasonable decision at this point, yes.

Of course, that means that the food supplies are limited. Cut rations to all nonessential personnel immediately.

Oops. Eh, whatever, maybe her daughter will be less stupid.

The smallpox continues to spread but hasn't quite reached me yet...

Jondera

For SCIENCE!
Validated User
All right, no fuss, we'll just ride out this epidemic and then...

Aw fudge.

And of course, immediately after I open the gates to go get more food, the epidemic finally reaches my county and then...

Wonder of wonders, it's not smallpox. Oh no.

I call upon my physician and ask him to invoke the blessings of the Monolith and all his skill and experience as a healer to purge this disease from my weakened body.

I. Uh. Wish he'd come up with something else, though.

With my strength failing, I order the construction of a hospital in the capital, in the hopes that it will help save others, like my daughter.

And. Yeah. That.

Well. Not dysentery, this time? And she's in a better spot than she was on the last try, because her queen is ALSO a small child and she's got a claim on the kingdom (and enough forces at her disposal that she can probably take it by force if I need to go that route).

Poor Ljubomir, though. That dude just can't avoid catching something.

(to be clear: mercy rule means I continue on with the rule of Duchess Ivet, since it's been only about 3 years and 4 months.)

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Man, just barely out of childhood when he kicked off. Hopefully not an omen of things to come for the Marko Dynasty.

ChariotDriver

Validated User
It's not like there haven't been two adjacent polities claiming the same name in real life. When the Kingdom of Sicily got partitioned in the 13th century or so, the Kingdom of Sicily lost the entire island of Sicily, but still claimed the name (even if their neighbors started calling them the Kingdom of Naples). And even today, we've got two countries calling themselves China, even if most people call one of them Taiwan.
We've also still got a King of Jerusalem, despite Jerusalem not being part of any KoJ for seven centuries plus (more than one claimant, actually, but one current monarchy with KoJ as part of it's claims).

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
We've also still got a King of Jerusalem, despite Jerusalem not being part of any KoJ for seven centuries plus (more than one claimant, actually, but one current monarchy with KoJ as part of it's claims).
And two separate claimants to the title of Principality of Orange, despite the Principality of Orange being both defunct and its only significance prior to going defunct being that it was the title that gave the house of Orange-Nassau claim to being royalty during the days of the Dutch Republic

(The claimants are Princess Amalia of Orange, heir-apparent to the Kingdom of the Netherlands. And Georg Friedrich, Prince of Pussia and Great-Grandson of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Yes, I'm aware that Germany does not acknowledge any German nobility or royalty; but in many countries that haven't abolished their noble class, German nobility and royalty is still very much acknowledged as such.)

On top of which are several places that have been named /after/ the house of Orange but are not part of the Principality of Orange for which they are indirectly named. Such as Orange River and Orange Free State

Arethosemyfeet

Validated User
And how long did it take for the English monarchs to stop styling themselves "King of France"?

Li of Orchid

you will explode.
Validated User
This is why you turn on the game rule for requiring a title holder to have some de jure land of the title, or it gets destroyed upon succession! ;)

Top Bottom