• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Crypts and Things - Seems to have fallen under the radar

Gaudy Scabbard

Validated User
Loved the sound of Crypts and Things when I first heard about it back in January and ordered the hardcover from Lulu as soon as it was available.

Got to say, this has become my favourite OSR game, jumping ahead of Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC, Basic Fantasy and Castles and Crusades, all of which I own.

For me, C&T provides a wonderfully simple, heavily modified version of the Swords and Wizardry rules which produces a swords and sorcery game that has me excited to run it. Only Barbarians of Lemuria gives me that feeling in this genre.

I don' t mean to sound like a shill but I just find it a shame the game doesn't appear to be getting any attention at all since it's release a couple of weeks ago. Is there anyone who has this/playing it? What do you think about it?

Personally, I intend to combine it with elements from Realms of Crawling Chaos, stir until well mixed and then unleash the horror!

akajdrakeh

Pronounced 'akkadrakka'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don' t mean to sound like a shill but I just find it a shame the game doesn't appear to be getting any attention at all since it's release a couple of weeks ago.
I found it by accident. I think the reason that it's not being talked about very much is because the creator/s aren't doing much to promote it.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Got to say, this has become my favourite OSR game, jumping ahead of Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC, Basic Fantasy and Castles and Crusades, all of which I own.
Awesome! :D

I don' t mean to sound like a shill but I just find it a shame the game doesn't appear to be getting any attention at all since it's release a couple of weeks ago. Is there anyone who has this/playing it?
I ran a game in January and had a great time.

Of course, as a 'contributor' to C&T, I'm hardly unbiased. (I ran a S&W campaign a few years ago, and many of my house rules for that campaign were incorporated into C&T. I'm not the author, though, and am not making any money from C&T.)

Claudius

Validated User
Maybe this is the right place to ask. Does Crypts & Things have a skill system? If so, how does it work?

Newtus

Validated User
I don' t mean to sound like a shill but I just find it a shame the game doesn't appear to be getting any attention at all since it's release a couple of weeks ago. Is there anyone who has this/playing it? What do you think about it?
Man, your glass is half empty is it ? Mine isn't. I came up with C&T almost a year ago, started work on it and building up a small but dedicated following over the course of that year via my blog Sorcerer Under Mountain, D101 Games Facebook page and various OSR forums. I then ran a very successfull IndieGoGo.com pre-order which ended in Dec. Some folk who got the the pre-order did reviews on their blogs and there is even two play by post games at Board Game Geek as the result of the pre-order pdf.

Game came out two weeks ago (mid Feb) and I've sold the same amount again as the pre-order which for an operation as small as mine is time to sit down for a big beer and a big cheer :)

Which brings me on to what probably is the nub of the mater a problem of perspective on two fronts.

Crypts and Things has been released at the same frame as a 'similiar' games such as "Adventurer, Conquerer, King", which came out virtually the same time, "Dungeon Crawl Classics", and the Grindhouse Edition of Lamentation of the Flame Princesss, which have had a much longer lead in time before release, has a much bigger buzz because of the name game designers behind it. Besides which yes it can look a bit disappointing......but taken on its own merits its a whole different story ;)

More importantly the game has only be out TWO WEEKS ! Please give people a chance to actually receive and read the book,before berating them for not playing it or chatting about it ;)

Personally, I intend to combine it with elements from Realms of Crawling Chaos, stir until well mixed and then unleash the horror!
DAMNIT Why don't any of you gawdless heathen gamers never play the Games us GOD-Designers write for you AS WRITTEN before mashing it up - or tweaking it - with some hairbrained idea of your own :p

Smithers release the Serpent Lords ;)

Last edited:

Newtus

Validated User
Maybe this is the right place to ask. Does Crypts & Things have a skill system? If so, how does it work?
Very simply. You make use your Saving Throw as a Target number to roll over, and then add +3 if you have experience in that area you are testing against ( for example you where a Sailor and you are trying to swim a fast flowing river ) modified by any Ability modifier that the GM deems relevant ( such as Strength in this swimming example ).

Its all very freeform and can be quickly brought together during play.

Here's the rules in full

Saving Throws as a General Task Resolution system : From Akrasia's Sword and Sorcery House Rules

tsiolkovsky

Retired User
Okay here are my thoughts on Crypts & Things.

For a start I'm not a great fan of most fantasy fiction - such as those generated by Tolkien and their ilk; but I am a massive fan of the fiction of Clark Ashton-Smith and Crypts & Things is so wonderfully CAS like that it is a joy to get into it and dive around.

Which probably explains why I will be running it at Continiuum and probably Furnace.

As to why is it so low profile - remember everyone that D101 games is basically Newt and Newt alone. Yes he has a staff of hard working writers and artists he goes to, but everything else is done by him. It is a labour of love, and mst be fitted in between all the other stuff like holding down a full time job and being a parent. So is it wonder he doesn't have the time to spend plugging and pushing it and the other D101 games.

Tsiolkovsky

Corum

Validated User
Game came out two weeks ago (mid Feb) and I've sold the same amount again as the pre-order which for an operation as small as mine is time to sit down for a big beer and a big cheer :)

Which brings me on to what probably is the nub of the mater a problem of perspective on two fronts.

Crypts and Things has been released at the same frame as a 'similiar' games such as "Adventurer, Conquerer, King", which came out virtually the same time, "Dungeon Crawl Classics", and the Grindhouse Edition of Lamentation of the Flame Princesss, which have had a much longer lead in time before release, has a much bigger buzz because of the name game designers behind it. Besides which yes it can look a bit disappointing......but taken on its own merits its a whole different story ;)

More importantly the game has only be out TWO WEEKS ! Please give people a chance to actually receive and read the book,before berating them for not playing it or chatting about it ;)
Newt, have you considered giving the PDF to people who purchase the dead tree version?

Top Bottom