• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[CthulhuTech] Upgrading the NEG?

Conrad Gray

Validated User
Currently reading ANE and getting ideas for a more ruthless, fleshed out NEG compared to canon. My main notion is that to get around Aeon War Syndrome and the whole "Mythos leads to inevitable insanity and maybe getting eaten", the NEG is forced to attempt certain... unsavory methods, with mixed results. How about:

* Lobotomizing and psychologically reconditioning both soldiers and scholars so they would be better able to meet the sanity challenges of prolonged exposure to the Mythos.

* Using people born (sometimes prenatally engineered) with different psychologies for the war effort. High functioning savants and the like. Multiple personality disorders (got more minds to spare!). That's right, let's get some Peter Watts up in this shit.

* LAI-dominant world where anything smarter than a chatbox is banned? Don't be naive. This ain't Mass Effect. The NEG has myriads of Smart AI in storage. They're used as test subjects, to see how simulated psyches can take the stress to various Mythos beings and phenomena.

And some that drastically change the nature of the NEG as we know it:

* The monocultural American suburbia except under domed cities vision of the NEG as seen in Mortal Remains? Wonder why most Nazzadi don't live there? Take the red pill and enter the real world. Three decades ago the government created Haven to evacuate the masses out of realspace. Easier to protect the civilians if they're boxed up in vats and hidden underground. Less cult activity to deal with if they're all living in a VR Dreamland. Certainly, there are still many arcologies with people living day to day activities in the flesh, but many are gone to Haven.

* Transhumanism run amok. If humanity augmented themselves to maintain power plants in the Rifters Trilogy, imagine what sort of posthuman insanities could be created in the Aeon War.

* Taming and uplifting lesser Mythos creatures to help in the war effort. Strategic alliance with the ghouls- not sure what benefits the NEG would get from them, but they can have all the bodies they can eat.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Most of the official setting material has holes so big you can drive whole stories through them. I could see all these working in canon ;P The Engel and Nephilim Projects both hint at the kinds of risks that the NEG is prepared to go to. Just don't fill what is not said with happy thoughts :D

Dave Bowman

Banned
Before I dropped CT I was hoping they'd find a way to being the elder things into the war on humanities side. The Elder things were more scientifically and less magically oriented and even a human who'd seen their work considered them closer to men than the other mythos entities.

The idea of the elder things aiding humanity for various reasons, one being their ancient enemity with cthulhu's race and the mi go, seemed logical.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Before I dropped CT I was hoping they'd find a way to being the elder things into the war on humanities side. The Elder things were more scientifically and less magically oriented and even a human who'd seen their work considered them closer to men than the other mythos entities.

The idea of the elder things aiding humanity for various reasons, one being their ancient enemity with cthulhu's race and the mi go, seemed logical.
It is speculated that we will see exactly this as the Aeon War deepens.

Conrad Gray

Validated User
I want to think more ways to combine the works of Peter Watts with Cthulhutech.

* There really was a rifters program to generate electricity- this version of the NEG has very sophisticated undersea bases. However, this went away after the creation of arcanotech power sources made undersea rift geothermal plants unnecessary. That said, there were several encounters between rifter base staff and Deep Ones... with all sorts of interesting results.

* Vampires. Humanity brought them back as our very own servitor race. But even if they can help us win the war when they finally and inevitably turn on us it will be as terrible as what the shoggoth did to the Elder Things.

* Ever wonder why security in arcologies is so crappy? It's because the entire future-AR-net is completely infested with artificial wildlife. And they've begun spreading actual Mythos memes. We're so fucked.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It is speculated that we will see exactly this as the Aeon War deepens.
I think it has happen in many games already.
Both of my theoretical games thta I will never run, centered around finding lost Elder Things technology. A Shoggoth bomb specifically (a device that triggers a mechanism in the genetic structure of species that where modified by the ET, like say humans, truning them in Shoggoths. It cam form the conclusion that the technology to produce Shoggoths and to genetically engineer spices shard similar roots).

Harrowed

Nyarlathotep's Bitch
Validated User
* Lobotomizing and psychologically reconditioning both soldiers and scholars so they would be better able to meet the sanity challenges of prolonged exposure to the Mythos.
Make a copy of the soldier, dump that copy into a VR simulation after VR simulation. From one battlefield to the next, on fast fucking forward with a 1000:1 time scale. Use LAI's to drop out copies that have gone to too far off the deep end. Take the survivors, and dump them back in with a healthy dose of psychic surgery to block out the trauma.

Meet your average front line NEG grunt, a war criminal a thousand times over in his mind with a river of psychic trauma. It's a good thing that the war has no sign of ending, cause sort of a lobotomy again you sure can't send the new version of Pvt. Bob back home.

Rallan

My Hat Of d02
Validated User
Electric Blanks. Take someone suspected of occult involvement, wire their brain up to a limited AI implant, and let 'em loose without telling them that their free will can be turned off with the push of a button. Weaponise the bastards while you're at it, and you could have something comparable in power and role to Tagers, only hella angstier.

Top Bottom