• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
[video=youtube;8X2kIfS6fb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2kIfS6fb8[/video]

Looks basically like Witcher 3 meets Blade Runner 2049, i.e. sign me right the fuck up. Love how bright and colorful it is, too. Clearly this is gonna be a thematically dark story, but that doesn't mean it has to exist in a world of perpetual night, rain, or dark color filters.

Nissiku

Banned
Gods, I hope playing as this guy is not only option. In this day and age if a game doesn't allow to play as a female character without a good reason it's most likely a pass for me. For example: Last of Us or Vampyr have good reasons for predetermined player characters. Elex has not. What was OK in 2002 is not acceptable for me in 2018.

Last edited:

JustinCognito

Crepuscular
Validated User
Gods, I hope playing as this guy is not only option. In this day and age if a game don't allow to play as female character without good reason it's most likely a pass for me. For example: Last of Us or Vampyr have good reasons for predetermined player characters. Elex does not have. What I excused in 2002 is not acceptable for me in 2018.
There's supposedly going to be character customization and multiple classes.

Dawgstar

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Gods, I hope playing as this guy is not only option. In this day and age if a game don't allow to play as female character without a good reason it's most likely a pass for me. For example: Last of Us or Vampyr have good reasons for predetermined player characters. Elex has not. What was OK in 2002 is not acceptable for me in 2018.
That's where I'm at. I'll reserve excitement until we know more exactly.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Gods, I hope playing as this guy is not only option. In this day and age if a game don't allow to play as female character without good reason it's most likely a pass for me. For example: Last of Us or Vampyr have good reasons for predetermined player characters. Elex does not have. What I excused in 2002 is not acceptable for me in 2018.
Based on Witcher 3, I'd say it is very likely that this game will have a fixed protagonist. Personally I much prefer that. For games of this scale, I think it becomes a lot easier to write a coherent and genuinely satisfying central character arc if the writers can actually write for one specific character. I think games like Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and God of War, just have much more engaging protagonists than quasi-blank slates like Shepard, the Dragon Age protagonists, Bethesda protagonists, etc.

I think pushing the idea that every game should have a blank slate protagonist with no real fixed identity as some kind of artistic, moral or political requirement is bogus. Blank slate protagonists certainly have a role to play in gaming, but they also come with a whole set of storytelling challenges and limitations that simply aren't going to work for games where having a strong central protagonist is core to the story.

JustinCognito

Crepuscular
Validated User
Customizable character creation confirmed.

CD Projekt Red said:
But to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer. - our vision for Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilized life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest of what show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!

Nissiku

Banned
I think pushing the idea that every game should have a blank slate protagonist with no real fixed identity as some kind of artistic, moral or political requirement is bogus. Blank slate protagonists certainly have a role to play in gaming, but they also come with a whole set of storytelling challenges and limitations that simply aren't going to work for games where having a strong central protagonist is core to the story.
I never said that every game should have blank slate protagonist. I said that if a game has effectively a blank slate protagonist, but there's no even a basic customization for some reason, then that's most likely a pass for me*. Now, if there is a well rounded fixed protagonist with determined personality, like in The Last of Us or Vampyr, then I'm OK with it.
Though, I'm personally little disappointed to see another male protagonist in the trailer, but that's just me. IMO, we have more than enough of those.

*It does not make a game automatically bad, however. It just my personal preferences that I could play as a female character.

Last edited:

Ranmyaku

Gone Snake
Validated User
See, I get that, I really do, but. If I'm stuck playing another generic bald scruffy dude who communicates entirely in the medium of GUN like that guy in the trailer I am going to pluck out my eyes, stick them on my fingerbones (which I have also plucked out) and cast them into the tempestuous sea.

Top Bottom