• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Cyberpunk + Magic

g33k

Validated User
Right hear me out: Deadlands, but Cyberpunk. Fast forward Deadlands 150 years.
I'm... kind of having a hard time seeing substantive differences between this and Shadowrun, honestly.

I mean, SR postulates an alt-history / alt-reality that just diverges in 2013 or something, so the setting you propose is that-much-more historically-diverged. But... spirit-gribblies are spirit-gribblies. Manitou, bug-spirits...

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
I'm... kind of having a hard time seeing substantive differences between this and Shadowrun, honestly.

I mean, SR postulates an alt-history / alt-reality that just diverges in 2013 or something, so the setting you propose is that-much-more historically-diverged. But... spirit-gribblies are spirit-gribblies. Manitou, bug-spirits...
Do I need to point out that SR has Tolkien races? Humans just start having elf and dwarf babies who naturally can speak dead forgotten languages, kids going through puberty grow tusks or horns.

If you can't see the difference then you probably don't know a lot about the settings. So your hard times are not universal.

That statement is as ridiculous to me as saying "Doctor Who, and Back to the Future are basically the same cause two guys called 'Doctor' travel through time."

Knowledge is the solution to ignorance.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One game that @coeli; ran was "Cyberpunk, but independent bands started getting magic out of their music." The working-class punks of the world suddenly getting access to a power that let them challenge the power of the corporations and powers that be-- a fun setup.

coeli

Persisting, somehow
Validated User
One game that @coeli; ran was "Cyberpunk, but independent bands started getting magic out of their music." The working-class punks of the world suddenly getting access to a power that let them challenge the power of the corporations and powers that be-- a fun setup.
The ruleset was CP2020 with a very messy, largely ad-hoc set of homebrew magic rules stapled on. Magic worked differently for each individual, so among the PCs we had one voudonista who gained power while being ridden by his patron loa, one who communicated with ghosts and learned skills from them, and one who used a complicated set of directional and elemental associations syncretizing Chinese, Celtic, and Oz (as in "Wizard of") symbol systems.

Dalillama

Validated User
Very true! So why Technomancer?
It takes a complete opposite tack to Shadowrun re: the intersection of tech and magic. They ditched the 'Magic vs. Technology' trope, so you have assembly line magic items, spells prerecorded on mp3s, and in the Zauberpunk version enchanted cyberlimbs that have built-in guns firing flaming projectiles, biomagical grafts, etc.

Stacie.Winters1

Validated User
Check out Karma in the Dark. It's a cyberpunk magic Blades in the Dark hack that takes its main source of inspiration from Shadowrun but it's presented in a way that gives the group a lot of setting creation leeway on how and what the magic is like.

It's really cool and one of the better cyberpunk rpgs I've seen.

And it's free. Just google it.

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
It takes a complete opposite tack to Shadowrun re: the intersection of tech and magic. They ditched the 'Magic vs. Technology' trope, so you have assembly line magic items, spells prerecorded on mp3s, and in the Zauberpunk version enchanted cyberlimbs that have built-in guns firing flaming projectiles, biomagical grafts, etc.
Assembly-line magic items is a neat take. Does it get into branding?

Top Bottom