[Cypher System] Rifts Conversion?

oktoberguard

Validated User
I have long loved the setting material in the various Rifts books, but I just can't deal with the system anymore. That having been said, I've never really been satisfied with any of my various conversion attempts. It seems that with the release of the Cypher System rulebook, I have what I need to convert Rifts to a system which would be easy for me to use in play, with built in support for magic, tech, and alternate realities. Has anyone worked on this on their own? Thoughts?

BrianBloodaxe

Validated User
Sounds like a good fit to me. Cypher should be able to handle whatever Rifts throws at it and without prior conversion. It certainly sounds more workable than any other conversion suggestions I have seen.

Secret Apprentice

Validated User
This may be the stupidest thing I've said on these forums, but I think a system wouldn't feel right for Rifts without some pretense of being a physics engine. Having said that, I could see cypher being one of the easier Rifts conversion options. As you said, tech and magic are both assumptions of cypher. If I had all the time in the world I'd probably pick hero system or gurps to build a Rifts conversion, but that would be a very time intensive project.

oktoberguard

Validated User
You raise a good point. I'm imagining more of a thematic conversion, for lack of a better word. Not every aspect would be translated via 100% fidelity. I don't have the time or energy for an exhaustive translation like with Hero or Gurps. I just want things to feel "close enough." That having been said, I just noticed there was a character Foci called "Bears a Halo of fire." Bam. Instant Burster. "Rides the Lightning," similarly, could be reskinned with minimal trouble to make a Ley Line Walker.

Von Ether

Validated User
I'd say the easiest way to do with this with the Cypher system would be to use the Superhero genre rules.

I did something like this once with the Marvel SAGA system and the inherent power level of a supers game works. Better yet, most games find a way to approach the Batman/Supes dichotomy.

Perhaps the best way to keep normal humans on the lower end of the scale would be to make them a Level 1 or 2 NPC with and exception of their mental abilities for smarter folks. With an assist, that makes a cop with a gun have a 4, and thus you can put a tank at 5. Thus you can fudge mundane items at a lower rank than usual and let your Rifts characters reach higher levels of power and make Power Shifts even more useful.

The only "downside" for my own experiment was that while it made running the game a dream with a rules-lite/quick combat system, my players wanted the complexity of Rifts. i.e., they wanted to spend the effort of mastering a more complex character build and be rewarded with massive combat bonuses.

oktoberguard

Validated User
true, but I can't find any news about its development either, and that was with them "anticipating a core book for Christmas."

Last edited:

Chris Henry

Validated User
Mark Craddock did some excellent work converting Rifts/NPC critters and a focus for Ley Line Walking in this blog:

http://crossplanes.blogspot.com/search/label/Cryptogram

Check the entries for July and August.

I'd use his work as the base for NPCs, actual Palladium stuff for setting material, and let the players make their characters more or less as they see fit, almost anything would be fair game in that setting.

Top Bottom