• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

D&D 5 art...um

Status
Not open for further replies.

grubman

Grubby Smelly Gnome
Validated User
I just now broke down and got the D&D5 players handbook...in all honest I just figured it's something I should check out because it's inevitable I'll find myself in a "new edition" D&D game sooner or later. I haven't been following this edition AT ALL, mostly for reasons I won't bore you with, but mainly just disinterest and burn-out on new editions. I only tell you this because I don't want to get flamed to death if this topic has come up a million times...I just want to hear the reasoning and opinions that have come already (in a nutshell).

So this post is on the art, as I've only just flipped through the book looking at illustrations (as I usually do in the store...but I got this online)...I have to ask, who on earth is responsible for choosing this art? OMG, this is the worst looking D&D book (IMHO) I've seen in 35 years of gaming (and even worse than the majority of small press stuff I buy these days). There are maybe 10 or 12 illustrations I think are "acceptable", and none I really "love". I certainly don't want this next bit to come out sounding wrong, but I also have to ask what's up with the excess of women? Call me a chauvinist if you like, but it's just...weird. The majority of the class and race illustrations are women. With the human illustrations, they tried to be so politically correctly racial diverse that none of it looks like a part of any coherent fantasy world?

I'm kind of turned off before even starting to read. I've always been a very visual person, and art sets the tone and mood for me, which is ultimately very important to me when choosing what games to play and support. I know art is subjective, but what has been the general feelings on the art from other people, or hasn't it really come up?

Last edited:

Tactless Armiger

Zvegdoooooor!
Validated User
I wasn't aware that having black people and women made a fantasy world incoherent? Maybe I am just not tuned in to what a real man's fantasy world requires to be coherent, tho.

Crothian

Validated User
If you look in the credits you will see six people listed under Art Director. I imagine those are the people who picked the art but it is possible that other people were consulted on art choices as well. I think the art is fantastic. I have seen threads here and other forums that discuss how much people like the art except for the pictures of halflings. That's where I see more complaints.

Lars Dangly

Validated User
Is this serious or some sort of attempt at trolling? It is perfectly understandable for you to love or hate the artwork for aesthetic reasons, but the only particulars you mention are the noticeability of female and non-caucasian characters. You can't seriously think you can offer that as a critique without getting called on it. I suspect if you counted you would conclude there is nothing odd about it at all. There are something like a dozen races represented in the game, several of which vary in pigmentation, and all of which have a 50:50 chance of being female. Artwork that samples randomly across that spectrum will return to you something like 1 or 0 white human men. How many are there?

rakehell

Validated User
And it's certainly more plausible to see elves, dwarves and gnomes all hanging out than it is to see humans with varying coloration, am I right? It's not like adventurers tend to travel widely and meet people unlike the people they grew up with, either.

Jonas Albrecht

Spides.
Validated User
I have a question. I haven't seen the PHB, but does the art actually feature a lot of women, or is it a case of maybe 1 in 3 illustrations being women, and people treating it like a gynopocalypse.

Lightning Lord

SocialJusticeSupervillain
Validated User
I just now broke down and got the D&D5 players handbook...in all honest I just figured it's something I should check out because it's inevitable I'll find myself in a "new edition" D&D game sooner or later. I haven't been following this edition AT ALL, mostly for reasons I won't bore you with, but mainly just disinterest and burn-out on new editions. I only tell you this because I don't want to get flamed to death if this topic has come up a million times...I just want to hear the reasoning and opinions that have come already (in a nutshell).

So this post is on the art, as I've only just flipped through the book looking at illustrations (as I usually do in the store...but I got this online)...I have to ask, who on earth is responsible for choosing this art? OMG, this is the worst looking D&D book (IMHO) I've seen in 35 years of gaming (and even worse than the majority of small press stuff I buy these days). There are maybe 10 or 12 illustrations I think are "acceptable", and none I really "love". I certainly don't want this next bit to come out sounding wrong, but I also have to ask what's up with the excess of women? Call me a chauvinist if you like, but it's just...weird. The majority of the class and race illustrations are women. With the human illustrations, they tried to be so politically correctly racial diverse that none of it looks like a part of any coherent fantasy world?

I'm kind of turned off before even starting to read. I've always been a very visual person, and art sets the tone and mood for me, which is ultimately very important to me when choosing what games to play and support. I know art is subjective, but what has been the general feelings on the art from other people, or hasn't it really come up?
I'm not quite sure if this is a real post, so I'm unclear on how to respond.

rakehell

Validated User
I'm not quite sure if this is a real post, so I'm unclear on how to respond.
Well, it seems pretty clear the art is not what the OP expected. I'm having trouble coming to grips with the notion of "coherence" that's in play here- none of the humans in the book have a coloration you wouldn't see somewhere in the real world, so... reality is incoherent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom