[D&D 5e rules] A question of X-ray vision and mystics

BarefootHobbit

psychic dog-walker
Validated User
Suppose I'm a mystic who uses the Piercing Sight power from the Third Eye discipline:

As a bonus action, you gain the ability to see through objects that are up to 1 foot thick within 30 feet of you. This sight lasts until your concentration ends

Can I now target a creature on the other side of a wall if I use a power that requires only line of sight, not line of effect? For example, the psychic talent Mind Thrust:

As an action, you target one creature you can see within 120 feet of you. The target must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw or take 1d10 psychic damage.

If I can according to the rules, is it bad form to do this?

Schleiermacher

Validated User
Yes you can. And I don't see why it would be "bad form". That sort of thing is the point of the distinction between line of sight and line of effect.

BarefootHobbit

psychic dog-walker
Validated User
A followup question: if a mystic uses the Tremorsense power from the same discipline, does this count as 'seeing' a creature for the purposes of targeting? The description of tremorsense in the monster manual says that it 'detects' creatures but doesn't use the word 'see.' I'm not sure if that's an intentional distinction.

DavetheLost

Validated User
I did a quick google of Tremorsense, and found nothing official on this question. Tremorsense does not automatically negate Stealth checks, would seem to be affected by Pass Without Trace, but does not seem to be "seeing".

At this point it would come down to DM's call. I would be inclined to allow targeting, but with disadvantage.

BarefootHobbit

psychic dog-walker
Validated User
Thanks! I don't know of another way for a character to get tremorsense (maybe polymorph?), so it probably hasn't come up much. But if it doesn't allow targeting, there's not much point to it.

Schleiermacher

Validated User
Strictly speaking it doesn't count as seeing. Just like you can detect someone by hearing or touch, even pinpoint them well enough to attack them, but that still doesn't let you use spells that require sight.

I disagree that there's "not much point to it", though, even though it doesn't allow spell targeting it is still useful to notice people coming from around corners, detect invisible opponents etc.

Top Bottom