IC [D&D 5E] Vault of Larin Karr

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Mauri purses his lips in thought. "Possibly better to place them around the enemy. It's better to make them glow brightly than me." He grins a little. "Not like I'm not already easy enough to target..."

Choo Choo

Likes Rocks
Validated User
OOC: The battle wasn't very long, it's not fully dark yet. Almost. Also, thank you for letting me know about the critical damage change from 3.5 - though it didn't end up mattering in this case, that hobgoblin was dead as a doornail regardless.

Medley

Asking for it
Validated User
OOC: How about by the time we reposition? Though IC, the suggestion would be the same regardless. Canthos doesn't like the idea of marching through their open front door.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
Mastema nods to the others, " The enemy is weakened. Do we negotiate from a superior position or murder them in their beds? I will follow your lead. I have little experience in how these things are done in the surface-world."

Medley

Asking for it
Validated User
His blood still afire from the recent battle, Canthos throws Mastema a sidelong glance, regretting his earlier apologies, and in his mind he thinks, be damned, she'll gainsay everything. But he doesn't speak it out loud. Instead, taking care to stay measured, he replies,

"I do not think they are abed, as you might've known from the patrol we have encountered. No, I imagine they are vigilant even now, preparing an attack on the elves in the area. See there, sir Penlemmin loots their dead; he and theirs are ancestral foes, and I imagine he has no qualms about it. Might you stop him and ask why we are not giving our enemies a burial in consecrated ground?

"And I might ask, if drawing mortal blood has you so opposed, why you killed the one hobgoblin at your mercy. It might've been easier for you had you drawn your blade and laid him low with the flat, but you did not." He speaks neutrally, with no accusation in his voice, but the intent is obvious. "I digress, however. If you wish to announce yourself, go to their gate and do so. I will not stop you, and the rest of us might find your distracting them helpful. Here is a lantern: light it, so that they can more easily see you. If you others would continue with our task, then let us go."

Having lodged his opinion, Canthos places an unlit lantern on the ground, then keeps to the woods and goes away to the left side, preparing to attack the keep as he has outlined.

OOC: rules/ic reasoning stuff
Spoiler: Show
To be clear, this is all IC, OC it's all cool.

That said, just in case there's some confusion, here's the reasoning: earlier Mastema fired off an arrow at the last hobgoblin from close range. One of the following should have happened: she attacks with disadvantage because of firing at close range, she takes an attack of opportunity from the hobgoblin as she steps away (there's no 5ft step in 5e), or she uses the Disengage action to not take attacks of opportunity (but this means she can't use that action to attack this turn). So that's one part of the reasoning for it being "easier" IC if Mastema had drawn her sword; she could have dropped her bow (no action) and drawn her sword as part of her attack (free object interaction).

The other part is that doing nonlethal damage in 5e is much easier compared to other editions; if a melee attack, or any other attack which says it can do so, drops a creature to 0 HP, the attack can be declared nonlethal at that time, which means attacked creature becomes unconscious and stable, instead of dying. The exception might be the instant death from massive damage rules (if an attack drops a creature to 0 HP and the remaining damage is equal to or greater than their max HP, the creature instantly dies, with no death saves; "creature" includes PCs), but that's probably a DM decision.

I don't want to pile it on Mastema, so I should note it cuts the same way back. It's just as easy to not kill as it is to kill when in melee, so killing someone in melee is a deliberate act, as supported by the mechanics. As Canthos was the only one using a melee weapon in this fight, the two he killed didn't have to be, and it's entirely legitimate to hold that against him.

Last edited:

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
Mastema was silent, this was a mistake....but where else could she go? Everyone she knew was dead. She missed the cleaness of the Link, someone gave you orders, you executed them, you returned. The Law was given to you and you did your best to follow it, and if you failed you took your punishment and moved on.

This? Snide comments from children and people who both did not have Place and Purpose but were seemingly not bothered by either were beyond her. She ground her teeth with frustration and looked after the creature as it left into the woods. She looked down at her blades, she had made an oath....one made in haste to be sure....but one to be fulfilled....did an oath to a demon even have meaning?

She breathed out heavily and smiled, she would not take the lantern but the approach had a certain simple charm about it.

She pulled up her grey cloak to break up her form in the fading dusk and moved across the treeline and then carefully left it making her way as stealthily as possible towards the base of the outer wall at the front of the keep, 30m right of the gate.

OOC:

Stealth : +2 = 21

GetterBurai

Toyetic Fiend
Validated User
"For as little as my word is worth, I would tell you Canthos should not be taken as 'how things are done in the surface-world'," Galibain murmured to Mastema as she was preparing to set off. "He speaks like a dog with two heads and only one fed: half content and half snapping at every hand."

Choo Choo

Likes Rocks
Validated User
The hobgoblins are equipped well enough, though their things are of no higher quality than your own - simple leather armors, clubs and short swords, likely scavenged from the abandoned keep itself.

Mastema makes it to the wall without raising any alarm.

GetterBurai

Toyetic Fiend
Validated User
Galibain follows after Mastema, keeping about 10' distance.

OOC: Stealth total 23. Quiet as an owl! :)

Speaking of owls, I probably should have specified earlier he currently has one for a familiar, but 'temporarily dismissed'.

Top Bottom