[D&D/Any] New Software Map Tool: Hexographer

indyjoe

Validated User
[I figured the best place here to mention this was in the D&D forum since the software creates early 90s D&D style maps. If there's a better place to put it, please move it.]

Over the past month in my "spare" time I've been working on a program that allows a user to create hex maps like those in "The Voyage of the Princess Ark" Dragon magazine article series.

I had previously created hex map brushes for GIMP based on those maps, but the core architecture of this hex map tool came to me and I wanted to do it for a number of reasons. I know there is another tool called "Hex Mapper" but I felt this new software that I'm tentatively calling "Hexographer" has a different approach and I have some other ideas to expand it.

I already/still have a few small things I want to add to this version before adding new, larger features later. The issue I'd like to improve most is to make the map icons look nicer when zoomed in.

I'd love to get your initial reactions, what you would like to see added and if you encounter some bugs.

The software is web-based at: Hexographer

Here's a sample map snippet so you can easily see what it does:

Last edited:

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think the hexes should be broader for their height. Each corner should be the same distance from the centre, or you end up with distortion.

Borogove

quiet desolation
Validated User
hmm. it looks interesting and potentially quite useful.

other thoughts:
a. the default green tile could do with something else. perhaps the traditional small white dots?
b. a remove symbol button would be nice, so you can easily get rid of whales and castles and such that you've added to the wrong hexes. if there is one of these, moving it to somewhere I can find it might help.

Sylvre Phire

Custodian of the Flame
Validated User
Nice!

I agree with the assessment on the hex dimensions – they do need to be a bit broader. There needs to be an item deletion tool to delete city/ocean/whatever icons you put in the wrong place. Also, could you maybe consider doing something for modern/post-apoc/SF gaming too? :D

Pax et bonum

Epic Cave Slime

Passed the TEST OF MEAT!
Validated User
Look good, although I'll have to play around with it some more to give you any useful constructive criticism.

Quick question/feature request: Can Hexographer do numbered hex maps? Cos that would really rock my world.

Save-vs-DM

Knight of Stumptown
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Looks great, but why do I all the sudden have an urge to play Settlers of Catan?

indyjoe

Validated User
Wow, I've never done this many multi-quotes, but I felt the need to reply to just about every comment so bear with me.

I think the hexes should be broader for their height. Each corner should be the same distance from the centre, or you end up with distortion.
I was going for a size that would result in 1 inch wide hexes (where it is one-inch from edge to opposite edge) to facilitate miniatures. You can do that by saving it at 200% zoom, then printing based on the image's resolution. (The hexes are 36 pixels wide, so 200% zoom makes them 72 pixels wide and the image's default resolution is 72dpi.)

But... a major change I'm going to work in is to let the user adjust the size of the hexes in pixels instead of doing the percentage zoom functionality. I'll probably set it up so you can set both the width and height of the hexes separately. That probably won't be done for a couple of weeks though because I think it is a fairly major change.

hmm. it looks interesting and potentially quite useful.

other thoughts:
a. the default green tile could do with something else. perhaps the traditional small white dots?
b. a remove symbol button would be nice, so you can easily get rid of whales and castles and such that you've added to the wrong hexes. if there is one of these, moving it to somewhere I can find it might help.
I haven't seen the "Farmland" hex done with white dots. Can you point me to an example?

The remove function was added just this morning based on your comments. Earlier it wasn't needed because setting a hex to a different terrain didn't keep the symbol on it. Now that the symbol is kept, you're right that a remove button was sorely lacking. I'll probably change the "Remove" buttons to some icon later though.

Pretty cool stuff!

I have a bunch of hex bitmaps that I used with Hexmapper. Maybe you could see if you like these?

http://home.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/Hexes.zip
They look like they are based on the same sources I was using. (D&D maps from the early 90s.) Unfortunately, they aren't large. Plus, I couldn't use someone else's work directly without permission. So I'll be trying to create large versions of the icons I have and hope they look better scaled down than the small ones look when scaled up.

Nice!

I agree with the assessment on the hex dimensions – they do need to be a bit broader. There needs to be an item deletion tool to delete city/ocean/whatever icons you put in the wrong place. Also, could you maybe consider doing something for modern/post-apoc/SF gaming too? :D

Pax et bonum
See above for my comments on sizes and deletion.

What terrain icons/colors would you like for modern/post-apoc/SF? I was already planning on a set of space tiles for starship combat games. I'm also considering a way to import your own icons if there is another one you want to add or if you want to replace one of the default hex icons/colors. But that won't be for a few weeks yet.

Look good, although I'll have to play around with it some more to give you any useful constructive criticism.

Quick question/feature request: Can Hexographer do numbered hex maps? Cos that would really rock my world.
Yep, go to "Options" and choose the "Number hexes" option. The font is very small at the 100% zoom level, but at 125% it is readable if you squint and at 150% or higher it looks good. However, I've already had a request to customize the numbering and format.

Looks great, but why do I all the sudden have an urge to play Settlers of Catan?
Ha!

Thanks again all!

Aaron Stack

Lick My Blinky Diodes
[I figured the best place here to mention this was in the D&D forum since the software creates early 90s D&D style maps. If there's a better place to put it, please move it.]

Over the past month in my "spare" time I've been working on a program that allows a user to create hex maps like those in "The Voyage of the Princess Ark" Dragon magazine article series.

I had previously created hex map brushes for GIMP based on those maps, but the core architecture of this hex map tool came to me and I wanted to do it for a number of reasons. I know there is another tool called "Hex Mapper" but I felt this new software that I'm tentatively calling "Hexographer" has a different approach and I have some other ideas to expand it.

I already/still have a few small things I want to add to this version before adding new, larger features later. The issue I'd like to improve most is to make the map icons look nicer when zoomed in.

I'd love to get your initial reactions, what you would like to see added and if you encounter some bugs.

The software is web-based at: Hexographer

Here's a sample map snippet so you can easily see what it does:
I want this....

Top Bottom