• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

D&D-esque fantasy books with illusionist protagonists?

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm fiddling with a short story with a D&D style illusionist co-protagonist and it got me wondering if there were any books along those lines. None come to mind - help me, if you can!

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are the first few Black Company books. The mercenary company's wizards Goblin and One-Eye are not exclusively illusionists, but they use a lot of such spells, to intimidate, to conceal, and for playful sparring. It helps that they can concure nastily real effects as well, so their enemies never know what to expect.

Lord Shark

Varoonik!
Validated User
Mary Robinette Kowal's "Glamourist" books kinda qualify -- the protagonist has illusion magic, but the world is more Jane Austen than D&D.

There's also Paula Volsky's Illusion.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are the first few Black Company books. The mercenary company's wizards Goblin and One-Eye are not exclusively illusionists, but they use a lot of such spells, to intimidate, to conceal, and for playful sparring. It helps that they can concure nastily real effects as well, so their enemies never know what to expect.
Yeah, they do lots of divination and some warding too. Really they're generalists, but it's a setting where high power damage and environmental control are actually *high power*, and the Black Company is good at trickery even in mundane ways, so the mid-rank wizards they have use illusions and cleverness a lot.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I don’t even think there’s an actual D&D book with an illusionist protagonist.

Kraus

Diligent Procrastinator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The DragonLance novel Weasel's Luck has an illusionist as a villain: it's actually one of the best RPG tie-in novels that I've read.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Again it’s not very dnd at all but Stormlight Archive has an illusionist as one of the main characters. Eventually anyway.

DariusSolluman

Validated User
Sleeve, from Robert Asprin's Myth series, gets by mostly on illusions. They're more on the comic fantasy side of the genre tho.

Top Bottom