• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[D&D] Kyuss

pbemplayer

Retired User
Okay, so the band Kyuss...only recently did I hear that they got their name out of D&D, though honestly, given the vibe the rest of their music presents, shocked I was not.

So the question is, what, specifically, is (a/the) Kyuss, and is there any reason that a particularly awesome rock band would pick this thing to name themselves after?

I don't know too much about D&D, but going by time period, there is a chance that this is older, maybe something not around in 3e or even 2e, though like I said, that's just a possibility.

TimsGeekery

Validated User
I'm going off of memory here, but they were some sort of undead horror in the 1st Edition AD&D Fiend Folio.

Matter of fact, I think the monsters were actually called "Sons of Kyuss", but I could be wrong.

Don't remember much other than that. I could go look it up - I have a copy of the FF. But I'm just too damned lazy. :)

Tim.

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
IIRC, the "Son of Kyuss" was in the original Fiend Folio, an undead monster originally from White Dwarf's Fiend Factory articles.

It was updated for 3.0 in the Monster Manual II. Lessee here...

Son of Kyuss

My books are all packed at my house now, but I recall that the worms were part of the monsterness of it. And the MMII has a brief blurb about who Kyuss was -- evil cleric or something.

Don't know anything about the band, but they probably got the inspiration from the Fiend Folio, or maybe from White Dwarf (if they're a British band, I guess).

Nonetheless, they should have chosen the name "Flind", or perhaps "the Flinds", for the much higher coolness quotient.

pbemplayer

Retired User
Kakita Kojiro said:

Don't know anything about the band, but they probably got the inspiration from the Fiend Folio, or maybe from White Dwarf (if they're a British band, I guess).

Nonetheless, they should have chosen the name "Flind", or perhaps "the Flinds", for the much higher coolness quotient.
Not British, so likely out of the Fiend Folio, though if it's that obscure I'm really surprised they knew about it.

I don't know..."Kyuss" sounds really good, especially when you hear the music. "The Flinds?" Might have a higher D&D reference coolness score, but overall, it doesn't have the same sound as Kyuss.

Though really I'm quite glad to have my curiousity fulfilled. Thankyou both.

TimsGeekery

Validated User
Ok, so, maybe I'm not too lazy after all.

Son of Kyuss
Frequency: Very Rare
No. Appearing: 1-3
Armour Class: 10
Move: 9"
Hit Dice: 4
% in Lair: nil
Treasure Type: nil
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 1-8
Special Attacks: see below
Special Defenses: Regeneration and see below
Magic Resistance: Standard
Intelligence: Low
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Size: M
Psionic Ability: nil
Attack/Decense Modes: nil
Level/XP Value: IV/215 + 4 per HP

Truly horrible creatures in appearance, these ghastly undead appear as animated, putrid corpses with fat, green worms crawling in and out of their skull orifices. Kyuss was an evil high priest, creating the first of the creatures under instruction from an evil diety. Since the the 'sons' have increased considerably in numbers.

Each son is surrounded by a spherical zone of fear 30' in diameter; a victim who fails to save against magic when entering this zone will flee in terror.

Each son regenerates 2 hit points per round; its limbs will regenerate even if severed, like those of a troll. Even after 'death' this process will continue, so the only way of destroying these creatures is by fire, lighting, acid, or the application of holy water (or holy objects such as religious symbols, holy swords, etc.) to their wounds.

The sons attack with a double-handed flailing of fists, causing 1-8 hit points of damage. Each successful hit has a 25% chance of inflicting advanced leprosy on the victim. This disease will be fatal in 1-6 months, and each month it progresses the diseased victim loses 2 points of charisma, permanently. It can be cured only by a magic spell, cure disease. The disease negates all cure wound spells. Infected creatures heal wounds at 10% of the normal rate.

In addition, one worm per melee round will jump from a son's head to an adjacent character in melee with a son. It needs a normal to hit roll to land on the victim and will then burrow into him, taking one melee round to penetrate the skin, during which time it may be destroyed by the touch of cold steel, holy water, or a blessed object. If it is not destroyed, the worm heads for the victim's brain, taking 1-4 melee rounds to reach it; during this time remove curse or cure disease will destroy it and neutralize poison or dispel evil will delay it by 1-6 full turns. If the worm reaches the brain, the victim becomes a son of Kyuss, the process of putrefaction setting in without further delay.

Sons of Kyuss are treated as mummies on the cleric/undead table. Like other undead, they are immune to mind-influencing spells.

Tim.

Spiny Vic

Sentient Cactus
Validated User
Kyuss is a historical figure turned demi-god in the
World of Greyhawk setting. It and it's undead servants have been around since 1st edition AD&D.

Malenfant

Reaching for the stars!
Tyma said:
The sons attack with a double-handed flailing of fists, causing 1-8 hit points of damage. [/B]
I have this sudden vision of one of these guys in top hat and tails pummeling someone's chest with both their fists, screaming 'youbruteyoubruteyoubrute!'* :D

*: (Blazing Saddles reference, for the confused among you)

Top Bottom