• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

D&D NPC classes

La Maupin

Morrigan's Granddaughter
Am I the only person who's been tempted to run a D&D game using the NPC classes (Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Warrior) from the DMG?

Dorsai

The lazier of two evils
Validated User
Iceberg3k said:
Am I the only person who's been tempted to run a D&D game using the NPC classes (Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Warrior) from the DMG?
I also thought about this before. The problem I ran into was that they are not balanced against each other like the PC classes are. You'd have to be crazy to be a Commoner (other than for RP reasons, of course ;) )

La Maupin

Morrigan's Granddaughter
Technomancer said:
I also thought about this before. The problem I ran into was that they are not balanced against each other like the PC classes are. You'd have to be crazy to be a Commoner (other than for RP reasons, of course ;) )
Frankly, I would love to run a game where the PCs start out as the camp followers of a group of high-level PCs that gets wiped out by an evil wizard...

So: How would you rebalance the NPC classes to make them fair against each other?

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Iceberg3k said:
Frankly, I would love to run a game where the PCs start out as the camp followers of a group of high-level PCs that gets wiped out by an evil wizard...

So: How would you rebalance the NPC classes to make them fair against each other?
You can't, really. You can design new classes from scratch that are *based*on them, but, well, the Commoner is just straight-up screwed when there's an Expert, Adept, and/or Warrior around, let alone the very-nearly-PCable Aristocrat.

I've actually had several PC aristocrat characters and they can virtually hang on equal footing. If they switch to a PC class after a level or two, they're right in teh mix, actually. Elven Aristocrat/Wizards, for example, are just *keen*.

Warriro is close enough to a PC class that you can allow an ECL +1 class to take it in a first level party and be balanced. A human Fighter-1 and a Tiefling Warrior-1, for example, are totally playable out of the gate with neither really overshadowing teh other. The Tiefling will, of course, switch to PC classes ASAP, but can start off in a 1st level party and fit in quite well.

La Maupin

Morrigan's Granddaughter
IMO, Commoners need a d10 hit die, because goddamn if you can't live the commoner lifestyle without an incredibly stout constitution...

La Maupin

Morrigan's Granddaughter
My ideas for the NPC-class game:

* PCs are henchmen from a high-level entourage. Thus; Adept, Expert and Warrior are the most likely classes.

* The party which the entourage was attached to disappears under mysterious circumstances, leaving the players out in the open and under attack by low-level creatures.

* The entourage, finding their gravy train disrupted, must either look for the party or find their way back to town and explain where their employers went.

* Characters must continue to advance in their own NPC class until they can find a way to upgrade themselves to a PC class, usually by finding a PC-classed teacher

Ryan Samuelson

Validated User
Someone a couple years ago on rpg.net suggested that the npc classes would be very good for a near-historical type campaign. I believe a Robin Hood campaign was mentioned.

blizack

ghostmode
Validated User
I played in a 3.0 campaign where all the characters started with three levels of any NPC class (player's choice) and one level of a "standard" class. The idea was that the NPC class was their "day job", what they did before they became adventurers. Needless to say, nobody took Commoner as their NPC class.

Prairie Dragon

Validated User
Iceberg3k said:
I ran one once. It was a lot of fun. Tons of fun. They were villagers who defended their village against a Goblin Tribe.

The Aristocrat was the leader of course. The Expert was his chief advisor. The Adept was his court wizard. The Warrior was his bodyguard. The Commoner was his butler. It worked out because the player who was playing the Aristocrat really wanted to rise up the ranks of the Nobility. He had to be a benevolent, wise leader. They commanded about 20 militia.

The campaign started out as a 'let's do something different' campaign. After a few sessions, it became our main campaign. In fact, we managed to play those characters for about 6 months. The average level when that campaing 'ceased' was around 12th.

Mr. Teapot

Validated User
You should consider just usin the generic Expert class from Unearthed Arcana for any and all of the NPC classes. Just pick the right skills appropriate for the mundane job.

Top Bottom