• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[D&D rant] I hate the...

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Validated User
Riffing off the "I hate the Cleric" thread:

The Monk. The monk class is really a damn ninja, and they should have just labeled it as such. He can fight, be stealthy, and not much else. He doesn't get experience for meditating on the secrets of the universe or trying to achieve enlightenment, so he isn't a damn Monk. And he sure as hell isn't one in the Western sense of the word.

The Barbarian and Ranger also annoy me. One "wilderness warrior", please. I mean, what the hell is the difference, background wise? Practically nothing. Mostly because not all barbarians are the Barbarian class.

Druids bug me too. Especially since Clerics of Nature, exist.

But I'd have to say my main annoyance is the Fighter. I never understood the point of the Fighter. Everybody else in the game fights and does something else. Pick a class, it can fight and do something else (well, maybe not the Monk, see above).

"I exist to solve all problems with violence". While this concept is great for dungeon crawls, outside of the combat environment Fighters have nothing to do. And 9 times out of 10, I see plotlines ruined because a Fighter inserted a combat where one need not exist, just because they wanted to have a reason to be sitting at the gaming table. And I'm honestly not mad at players for choosing this route, I wouldn't be able to think of anything else to do as a Fighter if I were in their shoes.

And I'm sure I'm going to hear the old "smart fighter" argument. There's no logic to it, an intelligent person would pick a different profession than randomly killing for money. Plus, playing a smart fighter cuts down their ability (mathematically speaking) to play a _good_ fighter, as in D&D Intelligence has no factor in combat. Put that high score in Int, where does it come out of? Probably Str/Dex/Con. So the fighter becomes less useful at their primary function just to have a secondary function that isn't as good as anybody else's anyway (hell, most of a fighter's skills are based on other ability scores anyway).

I mean, you can roleplay a charming fighter, or a grizzled veteren, or whatever you want to, but you get zero mechanical support when you choose to do so. In the end, a fighter is just a combat guy, hence the name. A flat, one talent, loser character class.

Anyway, this concludes my semi annual rant about something stupid at 2 AM when I'm half awake, half drunk, and mostly bored. I hope you had a good laugh, be sure to tip your waitress.

I'd probably only rate this one a 3.3 or so. Not enough swearing, most of the sentences are somewhat coherent, I used paragraphs and some proper grammar, and I didn't switch topics often enough.

I'll try harder next time. ;)

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
I'll agree with you on the Monk and Barbarian, but not the others.

Fighter is one of my favourite archetypes - the warrior who gets by on their wits and steel.

Last edited:

Lukas Sjöström

Society of Unity scholar
Validated User
Kiero said:
Fighter is one of my favourite archetypes - the warrior who gets my on their wits and steel.
The archetype is great. However, the practical realities of the ability scores often weigh down the "wits" part of the equation.

Silent Wayfarer

貴様らに名乗&#
Validated User
I'll agree with you on the Monk and Barbarian, but not the others.

Fighter is one of my favourite archetypes - the warrior who gets by on their wits and steel.
I'll second this. The man who lives by strength of arm and skill of blade gets disintegrated by the mage who doesn't.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
I'll second this. The man who lives by strength of arm and skill of blade gets disintegrated by the mage who doesn't.
Which is why I prefer sword and sorcery to high fantasy. Instead the rugged warrior shrugs off the insidious, cowardly magic and cuts the foul sorceror's head off!

Dragon_Blooded

Social Justice Main Tank
Validated User
The archetype is great. However, the practical realities of the ability scores often weigh down the "wits" part of the equation.
Well, it's not as popular as the Power Attack or Two-Weapon Fighting build, but Expertise-based Fighters (which include the dreaded Spiked Chain expert) are a hoot to play if you like battlefield control, and require an Int of 13. Sure, not a genius, but pretty smart nonetheless.

Eduardo Penna

Top Bottom