[D&D rant] I hate the...

MonsterMash

Are you mochrieing me?
Validated User
I have a few pet hates in D&D:

Monks - just don't fit in the assumed setting

Barbarian - not really something I think is a class

half- races (half elves, half orcs, why no half dwarf or half halfling eh?)

in 3 specifically the ability to keep piling on different templates onto one base character or race..

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
half- races (half elves, half orcs, why no half dwarf or half halfling eh?)
I actually explored this once in my "no demihumans" setting. In an effort to make the setting more accessible to mainstream players I stuck all the demihumans on one little island, and figured out all the possible racial combinations (I figured halfbreeds were sterile, which explains why the whole lot didn't just become one homogenized race over time). So I had half-elves, muls (half-dwarves), elflings (elf-halflings), and so on. It got really messy with dwarves and gnomes, though, because apart from muls there's really no precedent for doing anything with those races; you can make a dwarf/halfling, for instance, but what does it mean conceptually? Does a gnome/human even make sense?

I ultimately abandoned the idea, since there was only so many ways you could mix the races before it all became silly. Also, I got distracted by myconids, which were much more fun to mess around with.

deegee

Retired User
Does a gnome/human even make sense?
The reason why I laughed so hard at this post is because MY last name is pronounced "g'nome." Only the hard "g" sound makes my name any different... so to me, a Gnome/Human... sorry, make that G'nome/Human crossbreeding, makes a lot of sense!

Off topic rant done now, I'll go back into my little corner. :D

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One thing that always bugged me is that the Rogue- who did athletic sneaky stuff all the time, and the bard, who travelled around etc., had lower HD than the cleric, a primary caster who lived in temples.

Phasma Felis

Registered Luser
Validated User
Bards of all sorts are a classic archetype in fantasy and legend...but I can't think of any whose role in combat is to stand around and play encouraging music.

Kintara

Twisted and Tied
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bards of all sorts are a classic archetype in fantasy and legend...but I can't think of any whose role in combat is to stand around and play encouraging music.
Yeah. Bards are a lot more magely in D&D than in other source material (mostly). But I do think it's worth noting that Bardic Music is basically just a form of magic (which leads to a different criticism, that Bardic Music could simply be handled with the spell system).

selfcritical

Validated User
Riffing off the "I hate the Cleric" thread:

The Barbarian and Ranger also annoy me. One "wilderness warrior", please. I mean, what the hell is the difference, background wise? Practically nothing. Mostly because not all barbarians are the Barbarian class.

)
That's because they aren't not different backgrounds, they're different playstyle niches. And they've very well differentiated. No one is going to confuse the party's Ranger for their Barbarian based on actions in play, visuals, or how they fight.

Christopher V. Brady

Banned
I hate the way Fighters are ineffective at high levels compared to magic.

I hate the way magic is both limited and automatically successful (In terms of casting)

I hate the way some players use the alignment system as an objective truth when it isn't.

Top Bottom