D&D: What if you put a portable hole in a bag of holding?

Dunthall

Rando the Randy
My group tried to house rule this one. And we came up with the following options:

-A rip in the fabric of the universe
-Instant teleport to a random plane
-You lose the portable hole
-A clown jumps out and smacks you with a fish

But in all honesty we were just joking around and I never thought about it until now.

Fish Priest

Join the Club
Validated User
D20 SRD said:
If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole, a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in that place. Both the bag and the cloth are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, the portable hole and bag of holding being destroyed in the process.
Some parties have used this effect to create "void bombs", devices which drop a portable hole into an open bag of holding...

Valfader

Heavy metal hippie
Validated User
IIRC it was interdimensional screwed-up badness. Don't do it.

I can't remember the exact effect, but it's pretty bad. At least it was in AD&D 2nd.

Dunthall

Rando the Randy
Sejrfader said:
IIRC it was interdimensional screwed-up badness. Don't do it.

I can't remember the exact effect, but it's pretty bad. At least it was in AD&D 2nd.

Oh crap I just did it.

MelanisZbri

RPGnet Member
Kwitchit said:
Some parties have used this effect to create "void bombs", devices which drop a portable hole into an open bag of holding...
Had one of those - two actually: one just wanted to see what happened, the other, a dwarf rogue/trapmaker wanted to use the first character's device (a "void bomb") as a trap.

- Ma'at

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
From 2nd ed. AD&D DMG:

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole, a rift to Astral Plane is torn in the space, and the bag and the cloth are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within bag of holding, it opens a gate to another plane, and the hole, bag and any creatures within 10' radius are drawn to the plane, the portable hole and thebag of holding being destroyed in the process.

Old Geezer

Banned
What would you get?

Almost two years worth of supplemental material in "Knights of the Dinner Table" about three or four years ago.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You'd get a rift in spacetime, a narrow escape through a crumbling castle, and then a hearty laugh before the credits roll.... but just before, the Fighter says "Ah shit, my keys were in that bag of holding!"

-B

Top Bottom