IC [D&D5] Adventuring for Fun and Profit!

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Woosh. Woosh. The warm wind of the dungeon's breath flowed back and forth in time with the low beat of its heart, the scent of ash and fire in the air.

It was a simple job. A dungeon had appeared about three miles south of the furthest extent of Uthlazi's lands. Servants of Lord Frevk had posted a request for adventurers to clear the dungeon, lest monsters threaten the fields. Magmin and mephits, creatures of flame and earth. Honestly, not much a threat for experienced adventurers. But, each posessed a 10gp anima, so even weak monsters were worth killing. The group had swiped the notice from the board before any other team could get it.

They fought their way deep into the dungeon, brushing aside the weak threats, and had collected fifteen 10gp anima. Not a bad haul for thirty minutes of work, not counting the travel time, of course.

The dungeon was new, so it probably only had one level. Which meant that the solid looking double door at the end of the ten foot wide, 30 foot long rough stone corridor was probably the last barrier between them and the dungeon's guardian. Probably.

In this line of work, it never paid too much to bet on probably. Probably got adventurers killed.

Tik's keen Goblin ears picked up low growling and the scrape of claws on stone. It certainly sounded bigger than a mephit, or a magmin.

The group made their last minute preparations.

Spoiler: Show
So, cast any spells, make any plans and then on to battle! The doors swing towards you, but seem to be unbarred and unlocked.

Name
InitPer/InsProf+HPACResources UsedStatusAbility ScoresSkillsSavesNotes
Alessia1214D/11+328/2815OKST-1 DX+3 CN+0 IN+4 WS+1 CH+2Acrobatics, Disguise Kit, Deception+, Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit, Investigation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth+, Thieves’ Tools+DX INHeadband of Intellect: Int 19
Ash1714D+/14+338/3816OKST-1 DX+2 CN+2 IN+0 WS+1 CH+3Deception, Insight, Intimidation+, Perception, StealthWS CHRing of Mind Shielding
Boot of Elvenkind: Adv(Stealth/movement)
Nib1413D/13+333/3316OKST+4 DX+4 CN+1 IN+1 WS+2 CH-1Acrobatic+, Athletics, Stealth, SurvivalDX STStone of Good Luck: +1 Save/Ability Checks
Gauntlets of Ogre Power: Str 19
Tik1320D/17+338/3818OKST+0 DX+3 CN+2 IN+0 WS+4 CH-1Animal Handling, Insight, Perception+, SurvivalWS IN
Varuuc109D/9+344/4416OKST+3 DX+0 CN+2 IN+2 WS-1 CH+1Acrobatics, Arcana, Intimidation, Performance+ST CNAdamantine Armor: Ignore Crits
Heavy Armor: Disadvantage(Stealth)
Xandra1919D/14+344/4419OKST+0 DX+3 CN+2 IN-1 WS+1 CH+3Disguise Kit, Insight, Intimidation+, Persuasion, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Thieves' ToolsWS CHCloak of Protection: +1 Saves/AC
Sentinel Shield: Advantage(Init, Per)

 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
TIK

"Something big inside," Tik warns. Though at his size everything is big. "I can change shape and slither around it if you guys can keep it from using me to clean its teeth." Slipping past enemies as a common black snake is something his companions have seen him do before to some effect.
 

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"If it's one foe, let's more in quickly to surround it," Xandra proposed. "I don't want to think about the harm a creature like that could do if we give it time to react, and we do well in that kind of fight." While that wasn't true of the entire group, it often did work well, and she regarded it as taken for granted that Tik Tik would be to the side, supporting them with spells.
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Alessia nods. "Yep. I'll be right behind you, as usual," she smirks. "Let's make sure this door isn't gonna try and kill us, first..."

She flicks her fingers and her picks slip out of the sleeve of her cloak to float over to the door, tracing thoroughly over its latch, hinges, and everything else while the others consider their tactics.

OOC: Do we roll investigation for detailed search or use it as a static value?
investigation +7: 1d20+7 13

...only 13 if rolled.
 

Crimson Carcharodon

Registered User
Validated User
Varuuc does a few warm up stretches, getting his muscles limbered up, and takes a few practice swings with Firefang. The axe glows with a soft orange light.

"Surrounding it sounds like a good idea. I can try to distract it toward me so the rest of you have a better chance of getting into a good position."
 

Markov

The Fabulous King
Validated User
Ash

He's watching the door, thinking quietly as the shadows coalescing around his hands until his scythe had formed in their grasp. He nodded in agreement with the others, his tone light and chipper.

"Shall we blind them and move everyone into position? A little less risky for all involved, and I can take a headcount of exactly how many and where. If it's one large thing, then surrounding it is easy enough. If there happen to be more..."

He trailed off, shrugging lightly; it was nothing they couldn't handle.
 
Last edited:

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Xandra

"If there's several, let's kill one at a time," said Xandra. "A fallen foe won't eat your face; the fewer we face, the better. If we all work to fell one at a time, we'll win that much faster."
 

Darad Zhall

Half-Boiled Hero
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nib

Nib pounds his fists together and grins. “Kekeke. Sounds like we have a plan then, yes? You keep it busy so I can get a few hits in on the sensitive bits.” He walks up to the door and presses his ear against it. “Unless of course you want me to get some of the gang down here and make us a backdoor. Personally I’d rather kick this thing down, stomp whatever’s in there before it knows what hit it, and be home in time for dinner.”
 
Last edited:

Markov

The Fabulous King
Validated User
Ash

Ash chuckles at Nib's enthusiasm and smiles cheerfully. "Agreed! I don't think we need to trouble anyone else with our little outing. We have numbers, and strategy, and good fortune. Let's greet the guardian of this dungeon."
 

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Having prepared, the party opens the doors. The breath of the dungeon howls and blow past them before subsiding.

The room seems to made black volcanic glass, jagged protrusions jutting down from the ceiling and up from the floor like serrated teeth. The dull red glow from rivulets of lava streaming down the walls illuminates the area.

In the middle, pacing back and forth are two large hounds, each the size of a full grown man. Fur as black as midnight. Three burning red eyes in a line on either side of their head. Jaws filled with obsidian teeth. Claws like iron talons scoring the ground where they walk. Tails lashing back and forth, ending in smokey flames.

Hellhounds.

The pair snarls and howls, as the battle starts!

[BATTLE ORDER: [Xandra] [Ash] [Nib] [Tik] [Alessia] [Hellhounds x2] [Varuuc]
Spoiler: Show
Alessia finds no traps (generally I'll use static Perception, Insight, and Investigation, unless it's stressful, rushed, or actively opposed).

The doors open making a 10' wide entrance to the room. The room is circular, 50' across. The Hellhounds are in the center of the room, 10' from each other, and 25' from the door.

The jagged obsidian stalactites and stalagmites give everyone Half Cover (+2AC and +2 on Dex saves) against any attack from further than 5' from the target (i.e. if not adjacent).

If you use the dash action you need to make a DC10 Dex save (no bonus for cover), or take 3 Slashing damage due to cutting yourself on the 'teeth' of the cave. Alternately, you can make a DC 10 Dexterity(Acrobatics) check to avoid the damage.

If a target is pushed back fro any reason, it takes 3 Slashing damage in addition to any other effects.

The Hellhounds are Medium. Their AC is 15 and they have 45 HP. They are immune to Fire. Their saves are ST+3 DX+1 CN+2 IN-2 WS+1 CH-2.

If you act before the monsters, don't worry about strict initiative order, you can post without waiting for someone in the party that acts before you, but feel free to coordinate as you like. This tends to make the Delay action only useful if you want to wait for the enemy to do something. If you act after the monsters, please wait as usual for your action, but feel free to talk!

Please roll damage as part of your attack roll. If you collectively do enough damage to kill a Hellhound, the person who deals the death blow should narrate its death, If you're not sure, I'll do it it when it's their turn.

If you do something which requires a save on their part, please roll their save and narrate any effects as part of your post.

If there were any other preparations you wanted to do before opening the doors, assume that you did them.

Cue up your favorite battle theme and fight!

Name
InitPer/InsProf+HPACResources UsedStatusAbility ScoresSkillsSavesNotes
Alessia1214D/11+328/2815OKST-1 DX+3 CN+0 IN+4 WS+1 CH+2Acrobatics, Disguise Kit, Deception+, Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit, Investigation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth+, Thieves’ Tools+DX INHeadband of Intellect: Int 19
Ash1714D+/14+338/3816OKST-1 DX+2 CN+2 IN+0 WS+1 CH+3Deception, Insight, Intimidation+, Perception, StealthWS CHBoot of Elvenkind: Adv(Stealth/movement)
Nib1413D/13+333/3316OKST+4 DX+4 CN+1 IN+1 WS+2 CH-1Acrobatic+, Athletics, Stealth, SurvivalDX STStone of Good Luck: +1 Save/Ability Checks
Gauntlets of Ogre Power: Str 19
Tik1320D/17+338/3818OKST+0 DX+3 CN+2 IN+0 WS+4 CH-1Animal Handling, Insight, Perception+, SurvivalWS IN
Varuuc109D/9+344/4416OKST+3 DX+0 CN+2 IN+2 WS-1 CH+1Acrobatics, Arcana, Intimidation, Performance+ST CNAdamantine Armor: Ignore Crits
Heavy Armor: Disadvantage(Stealth)
Xandra1919D/14+344/4419OKST+0 DX+3 CN+2 IN-1 WS+1 CH+3Disguise Kit, Insight, Intimidation+, Persuasion, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Thieves' ToolsWS CHCloak of Protection: +1 Saves/AC
Sentinel Shield: Advantage(Init, Per)

 
Last edited:
Top Bottom