• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Dayton Files (Capture the Macguffin)

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
Trevor arrived at the modest one story home around 9 am. There were police cars blocking off the street and a forensics team on the scene. Actually, they weren't police cars; they were "public safety vehicles" being maintained by "public safety officers", the city of Oakwood preferred their Orwellian title for their law enforcement. The forensics team was borrowed from Dayton, Oakwood didn't have murders. That was bad for appearances. Fortunately, ARD had gotten approval from the Oakwood city council for Trevor to enter the crime scene. Apparently this guy was one of the counsel's and they were willing to except outside help if it meant making sure whoever was responsible paid the price for making their city look bad. One of the safety officers tried to wave for him to turn around, but he presented the notification they had texted him when they assigned him to this. The officer made a call and then nodded and waved him through. A forensics guy had him suit up before he went in. Gloves, booties, the whole nine yards.

Trevor had gotten the call an hour ago. Gabby said he was to get over and investigate immediately. She'd filled him in on this Valetta Hawk thing. They expected this was just the first set of violence the thing would inspire and they were mobilizing to try to calm things down and round up the Outsiders that had crossed the line. And of course if he happened to recover the artifact while trying to maintain the peace, his superiors would be quite pleased. To that end, they had apparently hired a consultant to assist him on the mission. Of course, they did this without consulting him first. He was to meet her here. Probably he would have to go out and wave her in whenever she showed up.




Jaala had gotten several offers in the last six hours. She had taken the ARD's and was supposed to work with one of theirs to find whoever had done the murder and recover the artifact. If she happened to help them capture some unruly outsiders, mores the better, but the artifact was what they were paying her for. She was supposed to meet the guy at the scene of the murder. Trevor was his name. There were of course police blocking the place off, but that was hardly an issue. A little bending of space and distraction and she was standing in the poor guys office. There were only a few blood stains on the carpet. What had once been a decently nice wooden desk was now a bunch of kindling and a revolver lay on the ground with cartridges scattered about. The cylinder was open and it looked like the guy never got a shot off. Forensics had clearly been busy in here, but the room was currently empty.


Trevor was escorted in by the forensics guy. There were just two of them. He explained that it was clearly some sort of attack, but the Oakwood officers had noted that there was no forced entry and though a gun was discovered, no shots were fired. The forsenics guy says to Trevor, "Apparently someone named Kitty on their stupid city council wants us to rule this whole thing a seizure gone wrong. Everything here is just random results of someone thrashing about. I've never heard of someone having a seizure where they put their skull through a one inch thick oak board before or where they tried to load a gun, but that's what they're trying to tell us to put in our report. These rich pricks think they can just cover this shit up. So go ahead, take a look, but even if you find something it won't matter."

Trevor nods in acknowledgement of this and then and walks into the office to find a woman matching the description of the consultant standing there examining the crime scene. Wearing just latex gloves no bunny suit or other protective equipment to prevent contaminating the scene. Well, at least he wouldn't have to get her on site.

OOC: I figured Jaala might not be the type to wait for police permission to check out a crime scene. Let me know if that assumption was wrong.

So you're both at the crime scene and have been partnered up for this mission. Probably the organization has given you a little background on one another. A pretty brutal fight happened here. Let me know if there's any details you need and/or what you would be looking for.

I was not planning on having a separate OOC thread for this, unless you would find it helpful. With the OOC tag, I find most of the discussion happens in the IC thread anyway.

Also, please post the link to your most recent character in your first post. (I think I have them from the recruitment thread, but I want to be sure).
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
OOC:
JAALA's Character Sheet
TREVOR's Character Sheet

RULES document
 
Last edited:

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 0/6]

"Albright," Jaala acknowledges the other's presence without standing from her crouch over the gun and scattered shells or even offering a blue nitrile safe handshake. "What is ARD's pre-investigative take on all of this?"
 
Last edited:

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
OOC: Beyond your basic description above, is there anything visible to The Sight in this room?
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Trevor [Stress: 0/6]

"Jaala." Trevor acknowledge with a slight nod. He preferred to go by last names but even after practicing in the car with Gabby constantly correcting him, Katayev just didn't want to roll off his tongue.

"What you might expect. This is all about the Hawk, and... ARD doesn't want it to fall into the wrong hands." Trevor paused slightly when he was bout to say ARC. The subdivision and new name was a step in the right direction, but arguing that with somebody who's worked with ARD in the past wasn't going to change their mind. "It could be Outsiders, or humans... and I'm honestly not sure which prospect frightens me more." He glanced at the 1 inch thick board that seems to be the 'murder weapon' and let out a soft snort. "And this certainly wasn't natural causes."

He glanced back over at the woman, weighing what he saw with his eyes against what he'd read about in her file. "And what about you? You're the self styled 'retriever of artifacts' What's the take from a fellow thief?"
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 0/6]

Jaala smiles broadly. "Fellow thief . . . is it wrong that I find that a notch more professional than the 'Treasure Hunter' that polite folk usually saddle me with?" She doesn't seem to be looking for an answer to the question. "Retriever of Artifacts is just a fancy euphemism for folk who don't want their books showing what they really hired."

She studied the room again, letting her eyes sweep in between what was and what could have been and what might still linger.

"The destruction is very troll flavored, but I wouldn't put it past a poetic fae to turn a wooden desk into shrapnel to use as a murder weapon. Whatever it was, it happened fast, and the destruction was pretty much entirely one-sided." She shrugs. "That's all conjecture, and secondary conjecture at that, since I don't really care what happened to this guy beyond using that info as a means of figuring out where the artifact might be now."

She stands and brushes her hair back. "Sorry. I don't mean to be unhelpful, but I suspect we're getting paid to do two different jobs here. Not a bad strategy on ARD's part to pair us, though, given the likely amount of overlap between those jobs. Now that we're here, what's your personal on-scene take on all of this?"
 
Last edited:

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
OOC: Sorry to bounce this back and forth. The Observation rules have changed so they're no longer built around a roll, so I'm kinda waiting on the GM's answer to my question about the Sight before asking for further specific information in that direction.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Trevor [Stress: 0/6]

The ARC Operative raised an eybrow, though his 'bunny suit' probably masked that from his new colleague. He'd expected the woman to be more arrogant... adversarial even. Looks like our files need to be updated.

"Trolls are one of the few things I would rule out. Based on what I've seen so far there isn't enough collateral damage to account for one of those beasties moving around in here." He glanced around again, so see if there might be something he missed. "Goblins and Kobolds are probably both out due to lack of strength. I'd say Mare and Fey are the most likely. Both can call upon enhanced strength if they needed it, and both could conceivably slip inside the building with nobody the wiser."

OOC: I'm assuming this is the house of the local business man/broker/middle man that the 'disguised man' contacted in an attempt to sell it to the Fey who run the Oakwood Council/Cult. If this is Dr. Phillip's house instead, please let me know.

A name for the broker would be handy, but I can keep referring to him as The Broker if needed.

Would Trevor and/or Gabby know if Kitty is the Fey that runs the Council/Cult?
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 0/6]

"Good point. Troll would definitely have wrecked more than just a desk. Unless someone had it on a leash . . . " This last bit is muttered almost under her breath.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
OOC: As a side note, Jaala would be sticking to the acronym ARD v ARC simply because she doesn't care enough to know any better, not from any hard opinions about whatever politics are behind the differences between the main group and the subgroup.
 
Top Bottom