• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Dayton Files (Capture the Macguffin)

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 3/6]

Jaala nods, knocking back her third shot. "Jamal denies involvement in the whole affair, but after I left, I squatted on the place, and little miss kriss wandered in, so I copped a listen. Crap audio, but the gist is he has her chasing ghosts. Possibly preemptively. Seems to be clearing the board, but I don't know if he's just hitting pawns or if he has eyes on higher pieces." She shrugs. "Gut tells me he's not in it to capture the hawk itself. And something he said, but that I only caught about half of, seemed to indicate a Jamalian level of disapproval with something Sierk did or was going to do."

Jaala shakes her head and decides against another shot. "I don't see any point in going back to him. He plainly has no intention of talking. Little miss might be a fair target. Finding her could be a bitch though. What did you get from High King Nut Hoarder?"

OOC: In the course of relaying the above, Jaala will do her best to repeat the bits she glommed onto before Jamal caught her dropping the eaves.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
OOC: She won't be specifically mentioning the hot sauce (or the worms) unless Trevor specifically presses.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Trevor [Stress 3/6]

"Oh..." Trevor replied as if he'd forgotten he had to share anything. "The Ruler of Rodents himself was bidding on the Hawk, and his spies gave him the leg up on the competition. He said he out bit McGregor and Kitty but Jamal and Hannah hadn't placed their respective bids. He had his agents at Mr. Terry's house during the incident, and says Sierk's right hand Kobold showed up, and the dead man apparently knew him because he got worried as soon as the Kobold approached the house. Screamed even. The screaming continued once he got inside, but the 'spy' died in the conflict so the Squirrel King doesn't know what actually happened. The exterior spies did see the Kobold leave with a peace of paper and appeared non-plussed."

"Here's the creepy part... he has his agents tailing the kobold, thinking he'll lead them to the Hawk. Once he does there is a rodent loaded up with fentonyl to kill the Kobold and take the prize for him." He shook his head. "So what does this tell us? Sierk's man likely knows the location of Hawk or the person who stole it. The Kobold may have even forced Terry to sell it to him... I'm not sure what else that contract could be. I'm still not sure who cold have left the 'strong magical aura'. Would it be stronger than one you could/would leave? Can you hide your aura when you want to?"

OOC: I don't think I caught reference to worms at all.
 

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
OOC: The Squirrel's intention is not to kill the kobold, though that might accidentally happen. Just get him arrested for drug use and then tie him to the murder of Martin Terry.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
OOC: okay, thanks for the clarification.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
I don't think I caught reference to worms at all.
OOC: Jaala hasn't mentioned it to Trevor, but if he asks about the hot sauce he'll have to hear about the worms.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Trevor.

The ARC Operative shifted in his seat as his companion let the silence stretch. Has she been away from real people for so long that she forgot how to interact? "So... while you're mulling over the questions I just asked... how about we shift gears. Do you really have hot sauce in your pocket? And, if so, what on earth for?"
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 3/6]

"I do. I'm contemplating tricking his high squirreliness to douse himself with the stuff . . . long story."

She cocks her head to the side. "I don't think I'm actually infested with bleak worm eggs. I think it was Jamal having one over on his pawn, but it's Jamal, so . . . " she shrugs.

"As for auras, I'm not ignoring you. I'm trying to decide how best to explain how batshit paradoxical it would be to accomplish, because honestly the best way to quash them is to make yourself as mundane as possible. No magic. No using gifts. Salt and Iron can work in some instances. Ritual cleansing. Or perhaps better, ritual fouling. There's no good answer. If you could see my aura after a good dip in an Epsom bath versus after pulling off a major working or maintaining even minor magic for an extended period, they would appear very different. Body mud with a high iron content, like ocher paste, would render my aura all but invisible. It's why so many primitive cultures use it on their dead."

She looks Trevor in the eye. "So there's no real way to know if the aura I saw is naturally stronger or weaker than my natural aura or if it even represents that being's natural aura. If they had a powerful artifact on their person, that would also skew things."

OOC: Sorry, I meant to get back to this this morning and completely forgot about it.
 

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
OOC: The place is pretty quiet, you can talk/plan as long as you want.

It sounds like you might want to go after Sierk. He is easily located if that's the direction you go. His kobold less so.

For the other suspects, McGregor is also pretty easy to access. Hannah Riley keeps her locations secret, so she will be hard to find. But Gabby can supply a number for an answering machine if you want to try to leave a message. Kitty only works through intermediaries, but setting an appointment won't be to difficult.

Or you could go some other direction.

It's currently around noon Sunday.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 3/6]

"So what do we do now?" Jaala asks. "My gut is telling me we don't have the time to chase every lead down the rabbit hole." She gives Trevor a measuring look, but doesn't really see anything beyond what's been there all along. "I say we focus our energy on getting to Sierk and see what the application of a little judicious pressure reveals. Nothing else it might draw his allies out of the woodwork to try and stop us."
 
Top Bottom