• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Dayton Files (Capture the Macguffin)

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Trevor

"Since we're pretty certain Sierk's kobold friend killed Mr. Terry, and that the very same kobold may know where the Hawk is, or the location of the thief that stole the Hawk... I think he's our best bet." Trevor mused for a moment. "I don't know if brute force is the best option though... anyway you could quietly observe who he talks to via phone? I imagine the Kobold would be calling back to give updates or get orders... judicious use of observation may yield us the same results... without tipping the man off."
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 3/6]

Jaala shrugs. "We can play nice. Until we can't. We're on a clock and that clock is fast running down. Did I miss the part where you had intelligence on where to find the Kobold? Why don't minions ever have proper names? Nevermind. Assume we find him, because we have to because I'd need proximity do listen in to this alleged phone call that we don't know he's making or hasn't already made, then yeah, line up all those ducks in a row and I can listen in. Still seems like a lot of hoop jumping, Albright."

She holds up a hand. "Sure, shooting the buck does tend to tip him off he's being hunted, but if you do it right, there's not much he can do about it, and Bob's your uncle, and venison's you're dinner."

OOC: There is a small chance this many shots on an empty stomach is influencing Jaala's thought process. :unsure:
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Trevor

"No, I don't know where the Kobold is... I meant we should try listening in on Sierk's side of the conversation." He paused, admitting to himself that she was partially correct. "You're right... we don't have a lot of time. If initial surveillance doesn't bear fruit we can go and step on his neck. Happy?"
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 3/6]

"With neck-stepping? Hard to talk past a jackboot. Couple drops of hot sauce in the urinary meatus would be faster, if you can hold him down," she says with a straight face, then flags down the barkeep to pay her tab. "But we can try to listen in, first," she adds.

OOC: Do not google that at work!
 

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
Sierk has an office at the top of a building looking down on freeway, across from the Soin medical center. Sierk made sure his name was larger and more visible then the one across the street. The lower levels are rented by a few local businesses. A payroll company, an accounting firm, and offices for a local bank chain. The parking lot is mostly deserted except for two cars, a Honda civic and a Tesla Roadster. There is a phone mounted in an alcove by the door with what looks like a company directory.

OOC: I am bad at naming things, but rather than continuing to call him the kobold, let's go with Ben for the name of the kobold that works for Sierk.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
TREVOR [Stress: 3/6]

The look Trevor gave Jaala after the mention of her preferred form of torture was as blank and unemotional as the ARC Operative could manage. He put down his napkin then quietly stood up. "On that note... I think I'll meet you there."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not feeling the need to be especially sneaky at this point, especially considering the multiple businesses in the building, Trevor heads to the directory and scans for likely businesses. Ones that he could use as an excuse for his presence... and hopefully get him close to Sierk's offices.

"So I imagine there will be plenty of civilian guards around... and decent security too." He said casually into his his open channel to Gabby while looking at the list on the wall. "Will you be able to provide any help on your end once things get started."

Her response was exasperated. "Of course I can help, provided you don't do something stupid and offer to marry his daughter to bind him to ARD."

"I wouldn't do that." He replied with a smirk. "She doesn't turn 18 for a few more months."

Gabby actually groaned at that one. "Tech support I can handle... poor social etiquette and you're on you're own."

"Easy enough, now I just need my partner in crime to show up..."
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 3/6]

Jaala pulls around back of the Soin medical park and parks her bike. Stepping up to the corner of the building, she quickly folds space, stepping from the lawn to the roof, then strides to the corner across from Sierk's office and steps across a similar fold from one roof to the other.

Opening the secure rooftop access to get into the building is childsplay.

She pulls out her phone and texts Trevor.

<<Entering from the roof above him. Outside his office should be close enough to eavesdrop, but you should come on up in case there is trouble.>>

Then she slips down the stairs to the top floor offices and focuses her magic on listening in to whatever Sierk is up to. The strain of weaving so much magic is not inconsiderable.

OOC: Focus seems like the appropriate approach, so +0 to fold space and get in the building. Folding Space: 4#1dF -1 -1 1 0. That's 2 successes and 1 stress. If that is not enough, I'm happy to talk success with consequences to make it happen, though there's not really anything opposing her unless he's magicked his building.

Cunning for getting close to his office and eavesdropping, so +2. Dropping the Eaves: 7#1dF -1 1 -1 0 -1 1 1. That's 3 rolled successes for a total of 5 successes and 3 more stress. That puts me at a full track of Wizard Stress and 1 Standard Stress.
 

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
It seems like the floor directly below Sierk's offices (they occupy the top two floors) are occupied by Day-Trust, a local credit union. There's of course a camera watching him as he looks at the directory and another one built into the phone screen for when he calls whoever he wants to contact in the building. Another two cameras can be seen pointed at the parking area,

OOC: Llayne Llayne , what are you trying to find and what's your game plan right now? It's Sunday afternoon and these places are mostly 9-5 types, so none of them are currently open. So none of them is going to be particularly good for pretending you just came into work, but on the other hand no one is around to verify your identity or dispute your cover story either.

As far as guards, not really. There are however lots of cameras and the doors are locked and probably an alarm system.


Jaala doesn't get anything particularly interesting. It sounds as if Sierk is typing and listening to the radio softly. He occasionally talks to someone named Angela, apparently an assistant or employee. These bits of conversations are such thrilling tidbits as, "Angela, could you please forward over the quarterly reports from the ATT division?" or "What was the name of that man? You know the one that pitched the counter-intelligence app, with that terrible beard. Do you still have his contact information? I think I can flip his patents for a big return."

OOC: There may be something of note, depending on what Trevor does next, but other than that Sierk appears to just be having a very normal, boring business work day.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
OOC: There may be something of note, depending on what Trevor does next, but other than that Sierk appears to just be having a very normal, boring business work day.
OOC: Absently strokes hot sauce bottle in pocket.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
TREVOR [Stress 3/6]

Sadly, the businesses in question were more active during the work week. That'll cut down on my options... leaving me only a rather distasteful one. Trevor sighed, then cleared his throat. "Looks like I'll need an assist from my handler. Think you can get me in?"

Gabby didn't waste any time rubbing it in. "See how helpless you'd be without me? Standing outside an office building with no idea how to get in? It's kind of tragic really."

"Can you help or not?" Trevor said through gritted teeth.

"You don't give a girl a lot of warning do you? Any idiot can punch somebody in the face... this sort of thing takes finesse."

He could hear the tapping of keys through the phone line. "Well?" He asked again.

"Oh, so you're stupid and impatient? 'Help. Trevor. Now.' She said in a caveman voice.

The ARC Operative knew pushing her any further would only increase he mockery, so he bit his tongue and gave her some time to see if she could get him into the building.

OOC:
This will be Intellect and Security Architecture, so I rolled with a +2.
Intellect & Security: 4dF+2 5

Three successes on the dice and no stress. A total of +5.
 
Top Bottom