IC Dayton Files (Capture the Macguffin)

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
TREVOR [Stress 1/6]

"Easy enough." The ARC Operative was a little rankled that his attempt at fast talking the man didn't work... but he was getting access none the less. Once the officer reviewed the paperwork Trevor added. "Alright, let's head in." He gave the man chance to get a little distance ahead of them, then whispered to Jaala. "Anything in particular you're looking for?"
 

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
The officer hummphs as he takes a picture of Jaala. Then he leads the way lifting the police tape. "I am officer Simms by the way. Where are these things you need to check?"

The front door appears to have been kicked in, apparently by the paramedics. The entry way opens into a foyer with large colored glass windows as the ceiling letting in sunlight. A broad stairwell going up to an open area. There are four doors from the foyer, all dark wood and three closed. The fourth open one leads to a large, nicely furnished den with some recliners and a massive big screen.

OOC: Charm did work. He didn't phone anyone to check, but this guy has had people/outsiders stopping in all day to check the crime scene. He's sick of the parade.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
TREVOR [Stress 1/6]

The ARC Operative made it a point to look at the names on the list as they signed their names... trying to see if there were any interesting or surprising.

"Honestly I dont understand the technical details the way she does, so I let her handle that end of things. Looks like it's a full court press for this case, based on all the visitors on your list." He tried to sound bored. "Seems pretty cut and dry to me."

OOC:
Wit: 4dF+2 2

4 successes total and 2 stress. I'm just trying to get him talking.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 3/6 ]

OOC: Sorry guys, couple busy days at work. I've been struggling to keep up with my games and posting a lot from my smirkphone.


"I probably only need to see where he actually died. I'll know if I need more once I've seen it." She doesn't bother to explain herself to the cop, just waits for him to lead the way. Once they are there, she simply stands in the center of the place and closes her eyes, duplicating the same sort of time bending she used in her last reading, but going a bit further back, trying to get a feel for the magical signatures left behind.

OOC: Cunning Time Bend Sensory Thingy: 7#1dF -1 -1 1 0 1 0 -1 2 rolled successes +2 for cunning approach. That is a total of 4 without scale or 6 with.

Jaala picks up 3 new stress.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
OOC: As I was about to reply to brahnamin in another game, I realize I hadn't posted here in a while. Then I realized that thorya is playing in Hope City Heroes as well.

Did we lose steam over here?
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
OOC: As I was about to reply to brahnamin in another game, I realize I hadn't posted here in a while. Then I realized that thorya is playing in Hope City Heroes as well.

Did we lose steam over here?
OOC: Thorya took a break from all their games for a week or so. They've posted in Hope City as a player again recently, but in the past typically posted more complex GMy posts later in the evening. I expect they'll post here tonight or tomorrow night if they're ready to get back to this game, that is.

Of course, this is just my personal speculation.

They might still need a further hiatus from GMing, so it may be longer. I'm fine with whatever. I am enjoying this game, but I understand burnout can be a thing, too.
 

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
OOC: Sorry for the delay. Just a bad stretch for me, last week and weekend.

The cop isn't going to lead the way to the crime scene, but I'm going to say that Trevor can manage to smooth this over.


The list of names is very interesting. Most of the names are probably aliases, but the ones Trevor recognizes are involved in the magical community, two members of the Circlewright Guild, a Kobold electrician, and someone Trevor knows to be a goon for McGregor.

The place where Dr. Philips died is actually pretty normal looking. He seemingly passed in a recliner. A side table near the chair has a couple photos, a partially filled glass of brown liquid, and a partially eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The photos seem to be of the old, worn, and poorly focused. There are several paintings on the wall that look like they could be very valuable and various other things around the room that are likely very valuable and have not been disturbed. There is also a trophy case that is swung out into the room revealing a safe hidden in the wall that hangs open.

Jaala can clearly detect lots of magical presences in the room. More than the number of names on the sign-in sheet. It's clear that many people and outsiders had searched the place. Looking back she could feel:
-the room being bent and distorted to search for hidden areas and circumvent locks.
-various attempts and successes at accessing various electronic systems
-shapeshifting
-magical forensics from different backgrounds

But nothing from around the time of Dr. Philips death. Just him sitting in the chair for hours with no magic. The first bit of magic seems to start a few minutes before the paramedics arrived on the scene with someone moving at inhumanly quick speeds around the room, searching. Perhaps the most suspicious thing is that looking back, it seems that Dr. Philips had various wards and defenses around the house, but they all fade or are dismissed about six hours before he died.

Two other things ping looking back.

1. The signature of the Faceless Woman entering sometime in the morning.
2. The same signature from Mr. Terry's house that was present first and was very strong (the one that probably did the killing). This figure enters the scene several hours after Dr. Philips had passed and is not the first person on the scene.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
OOC: I'm something like 0 for 6 as a PbP GM, so I know how draining it can be. I was just curious, not condemning.

I'm fine if a hiatus is needed, just say the word. But since it seems like were moving forward I'll get a post up tomorrow.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
JAALA [Standard Stress 0/6; Wizard Stress 6/6]

Already stretched a bit thin, magically, Jaala waits til they are outside and away from their babysitter to convey what she learned within rather than try to magic the words to mean something different for him.

"I think it's time we track down the faceless lady."

OOC: Do we have any specific leads on her after the bookstore?
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
TREVOR [Stress 1/6]

The ARC Operative didn't notice anything interesting in the house, outside of the signature book itself. The setting didn't make it seem like suicide... though there wasn't any hint of violence or foul play either. Natural causes perhaps?

As Jaala comes back out, looking a little weary, Trevor listens as she relays what she discovered. "She does seem to be the common thread. I noted a couple of the Circlewrights were here earlier, along with a Kobold electrician and a McGregor thug. Noteworthy... but not really helpful."

He paused for a moment. "Sierk mentioned that the Professor said the Hawk chose it's owner... do you think he knew hew as going to die? You say the ward's vanished sometime before the time of death... maybe he was making it easier on the eventual owner." Trevor shook his head. "Of course if you look at it that way, does anything we do matter if the Hawk is going to end up with the 'right' person anyway?"

He flashed a weary smile. "That line of thought isn't really helpful either. How do you propose we track the faceless lady?"
 
Top Bottom