• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

g33k

Validated User
DCC also has the advantage of not being headed by an infamous douchebag, so there's that.
LOTFP's Raggi is only a mid-grade assholery (as far as I know). What he does that's awful is cover for his friends in the industry...
Mind you, what said "FRIENDS" do is, AFAIK, worthy of hard jail time if charges were filed (and/or mental hospitalization, depending on the jurisdiction and the judge ruling). But I'm not a lawyer and AFAIK charges haven't been filed.

Still, covering for that shit and promoting it is... pretty awful.

If you have info of Raggi as a primary offender, I'd appreciate a PM / etc with a pointer to threads/sites/etc showing such.

Gorilla Zod

I can see for miles and miles
Validated User
d100 is my preference for gritty fantasy gaming too. RQ/Mythras as a whole is a bit crunchy for my group's tastes, but it's one of those systems where a lot of the rules can "fall away" if you don't want to include them. My fantasy version hews closer to the new Delta Green d100 lite system and was heavily informed by a two-page d100quest variant written by one of the posters on this board, but I'll be damned if I can remember its name or find it in my pdf stash. Maybe someone else will chip in with specifics.

g33k

Validated User
Of (possible) interest to the OP is "Classic Fantasy". It's a rather brilliantly conceived AD&D retroclone that runs class-and-level in a d100 engine.

The current (and best supported) version is for Mythras, but there was an earlier one for the core BRP game, too, that can prob'ly be dug up.

Either should allow you to run a wide range of old-school D&D / AD&D goodness!

D13

Luckily Unlucky
Validated User
I definitely vote for DCC. Tons of great support and content in the DCC community. Plus multiple compatible game lines and settings supported under the core system. Like Mutant Crawl Classics. Last Xmas I bought my gaming group the DCC corebook because it's fantastic and we've had a lot of great fun with it.

Lamentations is one of those games I bounced off of hard, and for a horror fantasy OSR-ish game I really gravitated towards Shadow of the Demon Lord. Which my only complaint there is a ton of supplements. Lots of great atmosphere, fluff, and crunch in the game.

Knaight

Validated User
If you have info of Raggi as a primary offender, I'd appreciate a PM / etc with a pointer to threads/sites/etc showing such.
I was talking about his role covering for his friends - hence "douchebag" instead of a significantly stronger term.

artikid

passerby
Validated User
A arthurdiennet If you think that the modules you are gonna run is mostly BX stuff, I think you would be better off with Labyrinth Lord with the Advanced Companion, or the Labyrinth Lord Advanced rules that combines both in a single book.

Megazver

Validated User
I would suggest getting the specific modules that look good to you and using the system that they're written for. So, Into the Odd for Silent Titans, DCC for the many DCC modules, likewise for LotFP. (Although I ran one of two of the latter in 5E.)

Voros

Validated User
LotFP is just a B/X clone with some minor tweaks. DCC is more thorough rewrite of AD&D but still recognizably D&D. I prefer B/X Essentials, Beyond the Wall and Into the Odd to LotFP but any B/X based game is easy to convert.

Top Bottom