• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[DCC RPG] I'm in love

NickM

Battlemat JUSTICE!
Validated User
I've been reading some OSR blogs about DCC and it increasingly tickled my fancy so I decided to pick it up. I loved reading it and then last week I ran my first adventure (Sailors on the Sunless Sea) and had a blast. I'm hoping I can convince the players to pick this up for a while as our main game. I like the speed of it, I like the old school feel or the players trying to figure things out, I like the entertaining crits and fumbles and I can't wait for one of them to become a spell caster.

Is anyone else playing this?

PS I love the random spell choice but I'm not sure what die to use? Is it D20+Int+caster level?

NickM

Battlemat JUSTICE!
Validated User
How difficult is it to convert 3.x adventures/source material over to DCC?
Providing you felt up to hand waving a bit, I think it would be fairly easy. But remember it has a B/X approach to races - elf, dwarf and halfling are classes - and a much more limited spell list. So if the 3.5 adventure had a dwarf fighter it's easy, a dwarf cleric less so.

But there's a pretty different feel between most 3.X stuff and DCC which is much more like gonzo B/x/1e

Ravenheart87

Validated User
PS I love the random spell choice but I'm not sure what die to use? Is it D20+Int+caster level?
Int modifier would make no sense, since spells down the list aren't powerful. Just check out how long the list is, then roll the dice that fits. For example there are 27 first level wizard spells on the list. Roll with d30, reroll on 28-30.

Ravenheart87

Validated User
Providing you felt up to hand waving a bit, I think it would be fairly easy. But remember it has a B/X approach to races - elf, dwarf and halfling are classes - and a much more limited spell list. So if the 3.5 adventure had a dwarf fighter it's easy, a dwarf cleric less so.
That's easy too! Use a cleric with the zero level dwarf racial abilities. By the way NPCs and monsters don't have to follow the same rules as characters - I think this is emphasized in the book too. ;)

NickM

Battlemat JUSTICE!
Validated User
That's easy too! Use a cleric with the zero level dwarf racial abilities. By the way NPCs and monsters don't have to follow the same rules as characters - I think this is emphasized in the book too. ;)
Yup, that works.

--- Post Updated ---

Int modifier would make no sense, since spells down the list aren't powerful. Just check out how long the list is, then roll the dice that fits. For example there are 27 first level wizard spells on the list. Roll with d30, reroll on 28-30.
I was considering that but it felt like I was missing something.

Juriel

Banned
DCC game was the breath of fresh old air that DnD5 wants to be. It's funny, and random tables are always golden.

chiisu

Validated User
I am not playing it, but it has been on my radar for awhile. How difficult is it to convert 3.x adventures/source material over to DCC?
DCC uses ascending armor class and the 3-save system; but it does use race-as-class instead of separate, and DCC pretty much tops out around 10th level, so you'll have to scale way back on a lot.

DCC is so close to being my perfect retroclone it's both great and frustrating. I'm not keen on the funky die (even if I can sub regular die and/or use the Purple Sorcerer app), and the whole magic failure thing is just exhausting after awhile. Fighters love the variety they can get from deed of arms, that's for sure. The book is worth it for the artwork alone. I read almost the whole damn thing in a single sitting. Between the artwork and Joseph's enthusiastic writing, it's a pure pleasure to read and soak in.

BPIJonathan

I'll be superamalgamated!
Validated User
I play BECMI D&D quite a bit, but not really that keen on Race as Class. I know its weird. What I am going to do is see if there is a copy of DCC available at GenCon and take a look at it and see what I think. If nothing else, maybe there is something I can borrow for my home game.

Top Bottom