• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[DCC] Running my first funnel

I. J. Betty

Validated User
I recently picked up a copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics on a whim. This (or maybe next) weekend I am thinking about trying it out with some friends. I was planning on running the 0th-level funnel from the book, "The Portal Under the Stars." The recommendation is to have about 20 PCs. With three players, that seems like an impractically high number to deal with. Are there any adjustments that anyone would recommend for using a smaller number of doomed hero wanna-bes? I'm not familiar enough with the system to tell where the troubles might lie. I do want to kill most of them, but it'd be a shame to wipe the whole group out two rooms in.

Are there any recommendations or other advice that you'd have for a first-time DCC judge?

- thanks

DanMcS

☉
Validated User
As a player, we each made 3 or 4 PCs, and when we started to run low, the DM threw in some captives or lost adventurers who joined up and replenished our ranks. So we didn't have to manage 8 guys each but still made it through with several PCs.

Maxwell Luther

Validated User
My first suggestion is to start with Sailors on the Starless Sea instead of PutS. I think it is a much better adventure for really getting the feel of DCC across. I've run it many times and it never disappoints.

As for 3-player games, I agree with Dan, above: start out with 4 characters each (there is a handy little generator here that spits 'em out 4 at a time on a single sheet) and then let them find some extra characters somewhere along the way.

Sailors on the Starless Sea is particularly good for this, as it has captives that are met midway through the adventure, just after a major combat that will most definitely deplete the mob's numbers. In addition, the adventure site is linked to a nearby village which is also a source of replacement fodder... er, characters.

Last edited:

I. J. Betty

Validated User
My first suggestion is to start with Sailors on the Starless Sea instead of PutS. I think it is a much better adventure for really getting the feel of DCC across. I've run it many times and it never disappoints.

As for 3-player games, I agree with Dan, above: start out with 4 characters each (there is a handy little generator here that spits 'em out 4 at a time on a single sheet) and then let them find some extra characters somewhere along the way.

Sailors on the Starless Sea is particularly good for this, as it has captives that are met midway through the adventure, just after a major combat that will most definitely deplete the mob's numbers. In addition, the adventure site is linked to a nearby village which is also a source of replacement fodder... er, characters.

And the PDF is only $6.99. Not bad.

soulcatcher78

Validated User
Portal is great as it's mostly traps and exploration. If the players are not used to the mortality level of DCC then 5 or 6 pregens per player is reasonable to run. Use player initiative (based on highest PC agility for that set of characters) and that's the hardest part of the book keeping out of the way.

The numbers will take care of themselves in short order unless your dice are running extremely cold.

The only thing the adventure doesn't provide is a reasonable explanation for replacement characters (although they could stumble in after the adventure begins).

Baulderstone

Validated User
I like both adventures. Portal has a nice minimal, simplicity while Sailors is a good introduction to the full gonzo of DCC.

If you stick with Portal and the whole party dies, just have them roll up new guys and send in a second party. That's a thoroughly old school approach to beating a dungeon.

Borbetomagnus

Head Redcap
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just ran The Portal Under the Stars with 16 0-level characters and it went well. Surprisingly only three characters died; bad rolls by me for the monsters with my Zocchi 12-dice set. Now to decide which 1st level adventure to run them through next. Suggestions?

Maxwell Luther

Validated User
I just ran The Portal Under the Stars with 16 0-level characters and it went well. Surprisingly only three characters died; bad rolls by me for the monsters with my Zocchi 12-dice set. Now to decide which 1st level adventure to run them through next. Suggestions?
The One Who Watches Below is a favorite of mine. One of the best weird fantasy adventures they've ever come up with, with a neat little bit of live-action prop drama centered around the player-character's eyeballs wandering off on their own...

Last edited:

Robyo

Validated User
Played my first DCC funnel on Sunday and it was awesome! It's a definite change of pace when half the party has 1 hit point (at full). Makes you stop and think rather than run and fight every time.

I think the Judge was using the Hubris campaign setting. Definitely "weird" fantasy!

Top Bottom