[DCEU] Shazam! trailer

Yeoman

Validated User
And the other four movies?
2) Horrible, 3) almost as good as the first one but ruined by the fact the second one made all the flaws of the first glaring so now you notice them and also a half hour too long, 4) Could have actually been pretty good if we'd cut a couple characters and an hour to an hour and a half of run time, and 5) Didn't see it cause I've been told twice already the last movie was Bay's last and by this point he had ideas for sixteen more movies and I am done with this shirt. Plus, it's like, who would even noticed if Bay-verse Prime went evil and started killing everyone.

But Bumblebee looks promising. Doubt it's a theater movie for me after the last six months of all of the things, and like, I'm still processing the End of Infinity War. I mean... fork... Pete? That's just not cool, man. I mean... I'll probably see it when it hits digital.

Pax Chi

Validated User
Voted on anonymously by the internet. Which has a plethora of trolls that like to stir shirt up.
And Rotten Tomatoes denies that it's audience score was rigged. And it isn't as if movie critics have come under fire for biased reviews and agenda pushing either.

This isn't really the thread for an in-depth discussion of The Last Jedi, so I'll say this:

If you go in treating the Last Jedi like a Michael Bay film and watch it just for the spectacle, it's a flawed but entertaining summer blockbuster film.

If you go in treating it as an actual part of the same setting as the previous Star Wars films, it's a terrible movie that does genuine damage to the franchise and mythos.

Pax Chi

Validated User
2) Horrible, 3) almost as good as the first one but ruined by the fact the second one made all the flaws of the first glaring so now you notice them and also a half hour too long, 4) Could have actually been pretty good if we'd cut a couple characters and an hour to an hour and a half of run time, and 5) Didn't see it cause I've been told twice already the last movie was Bay's last and by this point he had ideas for sixteen more movies and I am done with this shirt. Plus, it's like, who would even noticed if Bay-verse Prime went evil and started killing everyone.

But Bumblebee looks promising. Doubt it's a theater movie for me after the last six months of all of the things, and like, I'm still processing the End of Infinity War. I mean... fork... Pete? That's just not cool, man. I mean... I'll probably see it when it hits digital.
I'll admit, as silly as it is, when the Bumblebee trailer had him as a VW Bug and showed a Decepticon Seeker transforming in the way the classic GI Seekers did, I got a kind of hopeful.

But yeah, Infinity War is going to be the standard for all future superhero films and superhero crossover films in general. Hell, we had a scene where Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man and Star Lord are all having an idea session. That's just awesome.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
That 41% audience score says different.
Rotten Tomato’s audience aggregate is meaningless clickbate that should be used in statistics textbooks to explain “selection bias”.

It’s about as informative as the results of a political opinion click poll on a news website.

The review outlets that conduct scientific polling of audiences at cinemas found around a 90% audience approval rating for Last Jedi. Most of said audience though is not in the relatively small subset that talk about their Star Wars opinions on the internet.

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Rotten Tomato’s audience aggregate is meaningless clickbate that should be used I. statistics textbooks to explain “selection bias”.
And the critic score suffers from similar biases. Who even is choosing which critics go on it. Its not like every online critic is in there.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
And the critic score suffers from similar biases. Who even is choosing which critics go on it. Its not like every online critic is in there.
Depends what exactly their parameters are. You can have a representative random sampling, or a sampling meant to represent a particular level of established readership, etc. I don't know what their parameters there are.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd say I was surprised to hear that those people actually exist, but then again, the Michael Bay Transformers movies made a ridiculous amount of money and there are people who will stick up for The Last Jedi. Different strokes for different folks.

Moderator Text:

Don't make these kind of swipes for people liking movies you don't like, they go against our attempts to make Other Media less hostile. Leave the thread

Last edited:

Killer300

Validated User
And the other four movies?

“I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it”

Man of Steel is, like many things, a collection of interesting ideas bogged down with poor execution, exacerbated by a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes Superman work. The idea of Kryptonians being genetically programmed for certain tasks was kind of interesting, and the notion of Clark being the first one who could really chose his fate was an interesting idea that sadly never went anywhere. Because he had the ability to make his own decisions, and he basically spent the entire movie doing what his Earth Dad, His Space Dad and his Priest told him to do, with almost no agency of his own.

The scene where he honors his father's wishes and allows Pa Kent to die was a beautifully shot scene of something PHENOMENALLY stupid. What really should have happened was that Clark saved his dad, and when his dad looks at him, he goes, "You wondered what kind of man I'm going to be, Pa. This is it. I'm not a man who can stand by and let someone die." And then what Jor-El's AI should have been doing was pushing Clark to act and use his abilities, but not tell him what to do with them. It should have been Clark's choice to be a hero, to save people, and all Jor-El's AI should have done is help make the process more easy, rather than going, "You can save them, Clark. You can save them all."

General Zod's portrayal was actually really interesting, and the idea of him trying to save Krypton at all costs made him different from the generic conqueror he was in most media. But then they waste it by having him be a warrior who got his butt kicked by Jor-El, and for some reason decided to terraform Earth to be more like Krypton.

AI Jor-El: You don't have to kill these people, Zod. We can live together in peace.

Zod: What? So we can endure months of adapting to this environment like your son did?

AI Jor-El: Yes! My son was a baby when he came here! He adapted to this environment just fine! And with the environment as it is, every Kryptonian is a PHYSICAL GOD! You're saying you're willing to kill all of these people and turn the planet into something comfortable for you because you can't endure what a child did and live with the equivalent of a chest cold for a couple of months?

Zod: Well, when you put it that way you make it sound petty.

AI Jor-El: IT IS PETTY! AND STUPID! Good lord, the Soldier Genome of that stupid skull must have been damaged at some point because you lot are the sorriest sack of soldiers the galaxy has ever seen. You'd rather change the landscape of an entire planet than endure what a baby could when the pay off is being able to fly at supersonic speed and LITERALLY be able to move mountains. No wonder I was able to kick the butts of half your army, yourself included, BY MYSELF, and I'm someone who was designed primarily to crunch numbers!

Zod: That hurts, man.

But what it really fundamentally misunderstood was the idea of Clark's upbringing. They replaced the warm family life, the All-American backstory, the good home and good community, with a lifetime of being afraid of who he was. They made FEAR a central part of the Superman mythos, and that's never a good idea.
That, and they could have just terraformed Mars, from what I can tell.

Killer300

Validated User
I had a similar reaction. My main criticism is that it all feels too obvious and strait-forward. But, it's just a first trailer, aimed at introducing the concept, so I won't let it stick in my craw.
That, and for as obvious as the concept is, have we ever seen a superhero outside of Chronicle where a somewhat significant run time is devoted to just kids having fun with superpowers?

For that matter, even comics don't really let, from what I can tell, child/teenage characters enjoy their powers before they need to start using them for good. Maybe this movie won't go that direction, but, to me at least, it could be a unique angle.

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
Sky High and Zoom both leaned heavily into the kids being kids thing. Which makes sense, as they were aimed at kids.

Green Lantern did spend some time with Hal having fun. Not a lot, but some.

Top Bottom