Dear Gamer: Walk Tall.

Levi

Slayer Of Spambots.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm pretty sure I've sorted something out - largely with the help of some threads on other forums I visit. Been trying to get it sorted in my head for a bit.

In school, the kids that got picked on were the ones afraid of being picked on. Most of the way through school, I was one of those. The kids that weren't picked on, and often were popular, were the ones that didn't believe that they were going to be, the ones that were simply bigger than that - I started to get this way only a couple years before closing out high school.

Nothing has changed in that regard.

It is my belief that roleplayers get sneered at in many circles because they are shy or ashamed of what they do for fun; this makes us weak in those circles. There is, when you get right down to it, only one way to break this.

Don't admit that you're a gamer. Announce it. Get yourself showered, shaved (as required), and relax in the understanding that what you do is awesome. Learn how to talk about this thing we do, and about how very, very cool it is. It takes, on average, three people telling one guy that something is cool before that guy starts to believe it. This works; believe you me, this works.

Walk tall.

Dan Davenport

Hardboiled GMshoe
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Worked for me. My boss is now officially a gamer, having played her first session in my online <b>Angel</b> game last night. :D

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
Levi Kornelsen said:
Learn how to talk about this thing we do, and about how very, very cool it is.
On the other hand, realize there's a time and place, and develop a sense for other people's level of interest. You don't want to be trapped in the corner by some boring guy droning on and on about the last five years worth of baseball statistics, right? Don't be that guy.

Topher

Levi

Slayer Of Spambots.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Topher said:
On the other hand, realize there's a time and place, and develop a sense for other people's level of interest. You don't want to be trapped in the corner by some boring guy droning on and on about the last five years worth of baseball statistics, right? Don't be that guy.
You bet. That's the learning part.

Curt

RPGnet Member
Banned
Topher said:

Topher

Amen. :)

Tomes

That's my name.
Levi Kornelsen said:
Don't admit that you're a gamer. Announce it. Get yourself showered, shaved (as required), and relax in the understanding that what you do is awesome. Learn how to talk about this thing we do, and about how very, very cool it is. It takes, on average, three people telling one guy that something is cool before that guy starts to believe it. This works; believe you me, this works.

Walk tall.

Righteous, Levi :)

mcrow

Dodger of Flung Poo
Validated User
I have just started to do this! Now when I go on a date when the subject of what I do in my spare time comes up I fully admit I play D&D. I normally say D&D because "rleplaying games" seems to never register with most of the girls I hae dated. I tell them how much I like it, that I have a weekly game I play in, and that it many ways it is my creative outlet. The "creative outlet" sometimes catches their interest and they will ask you more about what you mean. So I explain that I like to write plots, make up characters, and design new worlds. Believe it or not the my current girl friend thought it was kind of a turn on that I was"smart" enough to come up the stories I write. Go figure!:D

Old Geezer

Banned
Hear, hear.

By the way, THAT is a wonderful reason for visiting your FLGS. Nothing like 'being among your own kind' to help you feel proud.

Top Bottom