OOC Deathwatch - The Righteous Few

Wonderwill

Validated User
Did you include the -20 to hit for Hjalmar? I am wondering if that 40 does hit.

If that is true, I don't need my reaction. Can I activate Pack Tactics as a Space Wolf and give my reaction to JMPayneJ JMPayneJ ? (costs 2 coersion but gives him a chance to avoid two attacks instead of one)

Last edited:

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now that I am in front of the book again I checked the horde rules, and I am still not sure whether a grenade needs to roll against armor + TB. On one hand, the section Damaging a Horde says that "Each hit that causes any amount of damage reduces the horde's magnitude by one." On the other hand, the section Blast Weapons says: "a grenade with Blast(4) will automatically hit four times if successfully lobbed into the Horde." Googling and errata did not yield a clarification either.

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
Did you include the -20 to hit for Hjalmar? I am wondering if that 40 does hit.

If that is true, I don't need my reaction. Can I activate Pack Tactics as a Space Wolf and give my reaction to JMPayneJ JMPayneJ ? (costs 2 coersion but gives him a chance to avoid two attacks instead of one)
Was the first question for me?

To the second question: Short answer: no. But in researching to ensure I was clear on this understanding I stumbled across another interesting point. I'm pinging everyone Wonderwill Wonderwill P Potted Plant Aliexster Aliexster JMPayneJ JMPayneJ Cale Knight Cale Knight

In the errata it was clarified that everyone has access to their Squad Mode Abilities all the team regardless of who is Team Leader! That is a huge change from the core book which made it such that you only had access to your solo + your leader's squad mode abilities. Instead, everyone has access to their solo and squad abilities but does not gain the specific chapter-based squad mode abilities of their leader (but everyone does gain the squad mode abilities of the oath, of which furious assault was part iirc).

However, all Chapter-based squad mode abilities only affect marines of the same Chapter, even if the language itself doesn't say as such. For this specific example, Pack Tactics only mentions "battle brothers" but can only affect Space Wolves because it's a Chapter ability (this is what keeps the Tactical Marine Tactical Expertise special ability relevant).

So... that's an interesting discovery! Finding out new things about this rules even after almost a year of play lol.

Now that I am in front of the book again I checked the horde rules, and I am still not sure whether a grenade needs to roll against armor + TB. On one hand, the section Damaging a Horde says that "Each hit that causes any amount of damage reduces the horde's magnitude by one." On the other hand, the section Blast Weapons says: "a grenade with Blast(4) will automatically hit four times if successfully lobbed into the Horde." Googling and errata did not yield a clarification either.
That is an interesting question. Reading it again, I don't think you have to roll to damage either. The way it reads is that as long as the BS test is successful, the hits are applied. I guess that makes Blast a middle ground between "normal" attacks and Flame weapons.

FYI (mostly for me), group cohesion is currently at 5/10.
Thank you for tracking this!

Wonderwill

Validated User
Yes the first question was for you. I'm defensive so the baddies have a big penalty to hit me. It seems like a sweet way to use the servo arm.

Hmm. Very interesting. I thought we each had our own clan squad abilities. Only we could active them, but then they worked. If I can't affect others than the wolf squad power won't ever be helpful. No biggie though. We still have plenty of options

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That is an interesting question. Reading it again, I don't think you have to roll to damage either. The way it reads is that as long as the BS test is successful, the hits are applied. I guess that makes Blast a middle ground between "normal" attacks and Flame weapons.
Okay. Then the hormagaunts take 7 damage. (Probably a combination of the grenade going off and getting run over by Indefatigable, who is in all likelihood having a moment of glee. "What do you call the order to move forward while surrounded by a hormagaunt swarm? Joyride!")

And looking into the matter did reveal something of future relevance. Caphriel does not get the bonus hits from Unrelenting Devastation when using a hand flamer. The ability does not work with Pistol or Basic weapons, only Heavy ones. Which makes perfect sense because
a) firing a single round from a bolt pistol and bringing down dozens of enemies would be funny
b) a Devastator wielding two weapons would be ridiculous

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
Yes the first question was for you. I'm defensive so the baddies have a big penalty to hit me. It seems like a sweet way to use the servo arm.

Hmm. Very interesting. I thought we each had our own clan squad abilities. Only we could active them, but then they worked. If I can't affect others than the wolf squad power won't ever be helpful. No biggie though. We still have plenty of options
Oops, I did not! disregard their hit in that case.

Yeah it is something of a bummer, but we've had two other Space Wolves prior to this so it's not an outside possibility we might have more in the future. Also, it's one of the ways they encourage people to play Tactical Marines as opposed so the "shinier" specialties, imo. Being able to give those abilities to everyone in your Kill Team is a big deal.

Okay. Then the hormagaunts take 7 damage. (Probably a combination of the grenade going off and getting run over by Indefatigable, who is in all likelihood having a moment of glee. "What do you call the order to move forward while surrounded by a hormagaunt swarm? Joyride!")

And looking into the matter did reveal something of future relevance. Caphriel does not get the bonus hits from Unrelenting Devastation when using a hand flamer. The ability does not work with Pistol or Basic weapons, only Heavy ones. Which makes perfect sense because
a) firing a single round from a bolt pistol and bringing down dozens of enemies would be funny
b) a Devastator wielding two weapons would be ridiculous
That does appear to track with the fiction/intent. But hey if Caphriel needs to dual wield hand flamers at some point I won't try and stop him lol.

Top Bottom