IC Deathwatch - The Righteous Few

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
The team made their way into the station. Flickering lights obscured their immediate surroundings, though they clearly were in the entry room for a cold structure built along a specific Mechanicus STC template for a geothermal station. Chrome grating, hissing pipes, and dull green cogitators surrounded them.

The flurry of battle made it difficult to take a thorough looking over. The smell of roasting Hormagaunts was so strong it penetrated the Astartes' filtration systems, with a tangy copper after-taste from the psychic energies let off by At'um. The Shrikes continued to lob long-distance attacks while the Gargoyles flew inside with the Astartes, swirling about in the upper spaces of the station.

OOC:
House-keeping for everyone. JMPayneJ JMPayneJ Cale Knight Cale Knight Aliexster Aliexster Wonderwill Wonderwill P Potted Plant

My understanding was that Hjalmar's -20 was melee only? I may have been in the wrong about that though, please correct me if so.

Hormagaunts are now deceased after the Fettered Avenger even off a minimum roll, but just so we're clear (I can't see the damage roll) the avenger spell is just a heavy flamer for damage to hordes and not heavy flamer plus psychic power damage. In this instance, that would be one quarter of range rounded up (30 / 4 = 7.5, rounded up to 8) plus 1d5. The minimum in this case is 9 and they only had 9 left so it's a moot point, but just wanted to be clear.

Regarding Shrike 2 getting shot, I'm not sure what the pen on the rounds being used was but assuming it cleared out the natural armor a Tyranid Warrior's Toughness is 10. This would make 27 - 10 = 17, putting it at -5. It needs to take a toughness test or lose the arm rather than being outright killed. At this stage that's not a massive difference but just to be clear that Tyranid Warriors have a pretty substantial base toughness. Arm Test: 1d100 47 It does not lose the arm entirely but again, not a huge deal in the long run.

Shrike vs Luca is stunned from being put in Critical Damage.

Two Shrike ranged attacks vs. At'um and Hjalmar in order. Shrike Attacks: 1d100 97 1d100 71 Both misses.

Gargoyles Run inside the base and are flying around crashing into things but otherwise do not attack.

In terms of wrapping this scene - it has gone on for a while and you all are not in a super vulnerable position, outside some wild dice on the Tyranids' part. I'd like to do two things if we could:

Wonderwill Wonderwill Could you give me a Tech-Use check to see if you can cajole the machine-spirit to possibly speed things up with the door?

Aliexster Aliexster Could you give me a Pilot (Personal) check to see how swiftly you can return to the doorway? Don't forget your built-in bonuses for using a jump pack.

Gargoyles – Magnitude 6

Shrike 1 – Wounds 18

Shrike 2 – Wounds -5

Shrike 3, 4 – Wounds 48 (Full Health)

Hormagaunts – Wiped out

Back to the top of the round!

Wonderwill

Validated User
While the gargoyles fly around, Hjalmar races to the door port and tries to emergency close it quicker. Certainly there has to be an override to just slam it shut!

Tech Use 63 - 47 Success!

Aliexster

Master Mech Mechanic
Validated User
Jumping back as quickly as he can, Luca barely manages to avoid the oncoming gargoyles trying to get into the vehicle bay as well. "We didn't invite you sump bats in! Get out!" He says moving up to try and slash at the flying abominations before they manage to find a place where they could hide themselves while they're doing their important business.

OOC: Piloting Roll 73%: 1d100 51 Not too bad.

Chainsword Attack 58%: 1d100 5 Nice
Chainsword Damage: 1d10+13 19

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Caphriel hesitates to fire the heavy bolter at the gargoyles inside the facility, not knowing what else the rounds might hit. So as Luca jumps to engage the remains of the swarm, the Devastator keeps firing at the Shrikes instead. With one down and another with a severe arm wound, he targets one of the uninjured ones.

OOC: Caphriel fires at Shrike 3: BS 69 + 6 (squad) + 20 (twin-linked) +10 (half action aim) +10 (heavy bolter short range) -10 (full auto) = 105
Roll: 1d100: 20

All 6 hits plus one from twin linked. Dice-1 7 times. Roll: 7 7 10 2 3 8 9 = 46 -7 +5 from Righteous Fury = 44 total damage. Shrike #3 has 4 wounds left.

EDIT: Considering the situation - two badly shot up Tyranid Warriors, pitiful remains of a gargoyle horde, and unengaged Space Marines. Is this a Deathwatch Buffet Table. :)

Last edited:

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As the massive door begins to close, Caphriel sends one final salvo towards the last uninjured Tyranid Warrior as covering fire and then stops firing. Should the stream of fire hit the armored door, who knows where the ricochets might end up. Watching the other Marines bringing Emperor’s Wrath down on the pitiful remains of the Tyranids, he rummages around the Razorback’s tool compartment for a rag and then steps out of the vehicle, saying: “We are victorious.” Beginning the unhappy task of trying to wipe out most of the sticky Tyranid fluids covering his power armor, the Devastator dryly adds: “Praise the Emperor.”

Aliexster

Master Mech Mechanic
Validated User
It takes Luca a good ten minutes, jumping from perch to perch, slashing down every gargoyle he comes across. It isn't hard to find them, but getting to them is another matter, the little bugs are rather determed to wedge themselves into the smallest spaces possible. It was mostly a lot of pulling aside hoses, stabbing anything fleshy, with the odd shot of his bolt pistol for those that got to the hull.

Once he's done doing a spook check of the rest of the vehicle bay to make sure nothing else came in while they were fighting off the last wave. Coming up towards Caphriel, "Yeah, that went a lot better than I thought it would." He comments taking his helmet off Luca looks at the damage taken from the Shrike. "Oh, I'm going to blow what ever toaster points I earned with the Techmarines back on board the station..."

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
THUD

Ch-chunk

Fwwssssssshhhh

The door closed and the Marines were safely inside the research station. The thick adamantine entryway blocked out most of the sound of the ongoing battle outside - in fact, the steady drip drip drip of Gargoyle blood was louder. Indefatigable’s exhaust barked twice with finality.

A large circular space lay before the Astartes. Row after row of cogitators and access consoles spread out before them, with enormous viewscreens displaying all manner of exterior camera angles on the carnage outside. Some of the screens were completely dark, while others blinked green warning text over blank backgrounds. Temperature regulators sizzled and popped as they pumped recyled air over heating coils to keep the interior ‘livable’ for standard human beings, although with the environmental seals on their armor and their advanced physiology the Astartes could have cared less.

Upon further inspection the Marines’ advanced eyesight could make out that the room was not circular, in fact it was more elliptical. There were two elevators at the ends of the ellipse, one heavily fortified and security-locked, the other normally accessible. Blinking red indicator lights on a lift control console told Hjalmar that they were not functioning properly, and the security door for the access to the stairs was sealed shut.

There were no lifesigns, and no immediate signs of a struggle. However, long streaks stained the metal decking near the cogitator consoles, leading away in every direction.

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
Tiberius takes a moment to check over his bolter, ensuring that each chamber of the bolt selector is operating properly, and then looks around the chamber.

"We have at least a brief moment of respite. Brother Hjalmer, can you access the surface guns from any of these consoles? Disabling them is merely a secondary objective, but one we should keep in mind."

OOC: Sorry for the delay, folks, been fighting a cold for a week.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Any useful readings on the Auspex?" Caphriel enquires, tossing the sogged rag away. "I wonder what happened here. And looks like there is no simple and easy way down to Sector 7. We would need to either get one of the elevators operational or breach the stairway door."

Last edited:

Wonderwill

Validated User
Looking around, scanning into the darkness and using both his enhanced eyes and wolf nose, Hjalmar peers into the darkness immediately after the door closes. He then takes a breath, unneeded but well earned. "Well that was fun. Haven't had that kind of action since before my training started."

"I think we need a bigger computer. This one just runs the front door." Hjalmar decides to respond to Tiberius while scanning the room for further signs. "Seems like the next step is to bust open one of these doors. Luckily I have the right tool for that." Without effort, his mechanical arm grabs a giant drill off his back and swings it around to his front paws. Before him, Hjalmar holds a mighty Breaching Auger. "I was hoping I would get a chance to use this. Which door do you think we should blow open first? An elevator? The security door?"

OOC: Auspex 63 15 that is a major success!
I also have Fenris Pattern Wolf Helmet so still cna use scent.

the description says:
  • Auger Array
    • Implant
    • This duplicates the effects of sensor systems that go beyond the human horizons of perception. In all cases their use requires concentration and a Half Action. Common systems function identically to a standard handheld auspex.
      • This is used to detect energy emissions, motion, and biological life signs. A character using an auspex gains a +20 bonus to Awareness Tests and may make a Tech-Use Test to spot things not normally detectable to human senses alone, such as invisible gases, nearby bio-signs, or ambient radiation. The standard range for an auspex is 50,. though walls more than 50 cm thick and certain shielding materials can block the scan.

Top Bottom