• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Decent second introduction to RPGs?

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am a highly experienced RPG player and GM. My shelf collection is okay, albeit with plenty of holes, several of them alarming. It wouldn't be a problem plugging a specific gap if needed.

I have a playgroup that has played a couple of years of D&D 5e, but is otherwise relatively inexperienced with RPGs in general. I'd like to expose them to some other corners of the RPG hobby, without completely blowing their minds. What tabletop games might make for a good second toe in the water? The genre is less important than the mechanics.

g33k

Validated User
I am a highly experienced RPG player and GM. My shelf collection is okay, albeit with plenty of holes, several of them alarming. It wouldn't be a problem plugging a specific gap if needed.

I have a playgroup that has played a couple of years of D&D 5e, but is otherwise relatively inexperienced with RPGs in general. I'd like to expose them to some other corners of the RPG hobby, without completely blowing their minds. What tabletop games might make for a good second toe in the water? The genre is less important than the mechanics.
1st choice is tripartite...
I would go with ANY OF:
- some member of the BRP family. It's got enough similarities to not be very-alien, but enough differences to expand their experience.
- Ars Magica. More-different than BRP, but still with lots of new concepts to embrace.
- Savage Worlds. Possibly the most-different mechanically, but with many conceptual similarities

2nd choice...
Any of the totally point-buy generic games, such as GURPS or HERO.

3rd choice...
Go for the Long Con. Introduce them to Fudge, set up in a similar-to-D&D configuration, then move them to Fate; blow their minds s-l-o-w-l-y . o_O

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
Call of Cthulu could be a good choice if horror is okay. They might get a bit of a shock moving from the "We can kill anything" of D&D to the "Anything can kill us" mode of CoC... But, that's part of the fun. 😲

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seconding Savage Worlds. It's a solid, relatively simple system with a lot of the same basic concepts as D&D (edges = feats, etc). The numbers will overall be lower, and the exploding dice can be pretty exciting, but it's an easy system to grok. It also supports a lot of genres, and allows for cross-genre pollination pretty easily (want a party of a high fantasy wizard, a Space Marine, a Gamma World mutant and an Old West gunslinger? SW has got your back).

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Are their any non-fantasy genres they've particularly interested in?
This. I know Motorskills said setting/genre didn't matter, but I'd still figure that out before suggesting systems.

Additionally, a more tricky question might be "how much are the players willing to learn a new system?". It comes up time and again on these forums*. A large number of RPGers are either uninterested in reading the rules for a new system, or have time constraints that make reading new rules difficult.

* most recently on the "Why is it so difficult to get people to play anything besides D&D?" thread.

""

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
Everywhere or its base, Barbarians of Lemuria, is a great 2nd game. It has a simple system that allows more freeform characters. That can be a nice change from the detailed class and level system of D&D.

Top Bottom