Degenesis - opinions?

Xion

Well, I have to differ from Argent's opinion a bit here.
The adventure modules are definitely flawed, especially if you get them with the intention of saving a lot of preparation time. Most parts are written in prose, and as Argent says, read 'railroady' or assume the PC's reaction (that actually get's better in book 2 and 3 but anyway). On the other hand, they offer really good stories which are easily converted into an more open-minded adventure. It's almost as if you can read them like a novel and also have lots of devices already planted in there to form your RP sessions (to name a few: great regional information with lots of plot hooks, detailed NPC's which also work really well even if you don't wanna use the scenarios detailed in the books and many described conflicts and impacts for the whole world of Degenesis).
They especially excel in giving the GM a guide how to convey the setting (they introduce different factions and aspects of Degenesis in a fractioned way and bring that "Primal Punk" feel to life).

So, I would concur that you can't buy them, read them and play them instantly, but you still find a great foundation for an exciting campagin in there, so with some prep work you'll be able to have some memorable sessions with those modules and also learn how to properly enter the world of Degenesis.

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
I just know it's the rpg I want most to get on my book shelves and it's just super expensive to get it shipped over to me from Europe. Makes me sad.

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
*snip*
So, I would concur that you can't buy them, read them and play them instantly, but you still find a great foundation for an exciting campagin in there, so with some prep work you'll be able to have some memorable sessions with those modules and also learn how to properly enter the world of Degenesis.
Sure, you can probably salvage them if you want to - I´m talking about them as is, where they are making more than a couple of unforgiveable sins

I admit to gritting my teeth when I read the part where the PC:s are supposed to be lured into a trap by an NPC, and "it doesn´t matter how well they roll on [Detect Lies Skill] because she is technically not lying, just providing extremely misleading information" which is squarely in the AAARGHH WHYYY school of Gm:ing. The part in the latest module where a PC gets... let´s be delicate and say "seduced" by an NPC is also special in how it a) doesn´t even consider the fact that they might say no, b) assumes a male and heterosexual PC without even mentioning other possibilities and c) hammers the part home, so to speak, by providing a full and enthusiastic writeup of the sex scene along with full-frontal, all-details artwork... was, uh, extra.

Frankly, I thought about it when reading the recent "Worst Modules Ever" because it shared so much with all those metaplot-heavy campaign modules released in the ´90s; the writers clearly have a Grand Story in mind, and the focus is on it and all the NPC:s and their emotional journeys and character arcs. The Pc:s, while technically central to the narrative, are interchangeable and herded along on the railroad as brusquely as needed.

It is quite possible that you can just use them as inspiration and build a wider, more open campaign around them! That is, after all, what my groups did with all those White Wolf ´90s modules (oh, you wouldn´t believe how far our Frankensteinian version of the Transylvania Chronicles strayed from its´ original so-so roots, but damn if it isn´t awesome).

eskatonic

Still the Prettiest.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A previous thread on Degenesis, for more opinions/information.

Here is my take on it from GenCon last year:

Degenesis
- Brutal German take on the post-apocalyptic genre. Set over 500 years in the future in what is left of Europe and North Africa after a global disaster. The books are GORGEOUS. Super-high production value, beautiful art, the works. The translation to English is a little jarring; they could have used a better translator, IMO. Still, GORGEOUS. This is one of those games I will read and never play, because finding players willing to invest time in the setting would be difficult (see also: Eclipse Phase). Also, the rulebook is pretty expensive. But GORGEOUS. And there's this video, which is a selling point unto itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tw3KaMr8wk

Top Bottom