• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Deja Thoris Cast

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
What? With that much clothing on? She's no Queen of Mars! Jesus, why not just get a nun!?
:p

thePill

Validated User
What? With that much clothing on? She's no Queen of Mars! Jesus, why not just get a nun!?
:p
One of the few times that sort of statement is appropriate.

Just looking at her IMDB pictures, she seems to be able to pull off a lot of interesting looks. From blonde to sorta Native American in Wolverine. Interesting.

Preterite

No Future
Validated User
Just looking at her IMDB pictures, she seems to be able to pull off a lot of interesting looks. From blonde to sorta Native American in Wolverine. Interesting.
Yeah, in the picture above she looks like a young Katey Sagal. Not exactly the mental image I had of Dejah Thoris. The look she had in Wolverine comes a bit closer, but she still has too much of a girl next door thing going on IMHO.

Google informs me she was Ashley Judd's friend in Bug. Yeah, too girl next door for my likin'.

On the other hand, I can see the guy playing John Carter, especially if he kept his hair relatively long.

Curt

RPGnet Member
Banned
I guess it's all in the make up and costuming.

But yea, I always pictured DT as a bit more exotic.

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
According to Wikipedia it's being done by Disney...

In January 2007, Disney regained the rights, acquiring them this time for Andrew Stanton and writer Mark Andrews. By 2008 they completed the first draft for part one of a film trilogy. Having completed WALL-E, Stanton planned to have his next film out in 2012, the centenary of the series. Stanton and Wells visited Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.'s archives in Tarzana, California, as part of their research. Jim Morris, general manager of Pixar, said the film will have a unique look separate from Frank Frazetta's illustrations, which they found dated. Ed Catmull said Pixar will not do the special effects; Stanton noted he was effectively being "loaned" to Walt Disney Pictures because Pixar is an all-ages brand, whereas John Carter will be rated PG-13. The first film will be based on just the first novel. Stanton noted that although he had less time on pre-production than any of his animated projects, since he had read the novels as a child this made it easier because he had visualized scenes a long time ago. He does not intend to shoot in Disney Digital 3-D, although he fears the studio will force him to. In April 2009, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon confirmed he had been hired to do revisions to the script. Production is expected to begin in November 2009 in Utah.

Garyfury

Implacable Mustelid
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The script side of things looks really strong.

Also wanted to recommend that people only familiar with Collins from the Wolverine flick check out her appearance in The Merchant of Venice, for a more poised performance and an indication of her range.

El Draque

The Queen's Pirate
I have no opinion on whether the film will be good or bad, but I found this sentence from the Wikipedia quote to be interesting:

Jim Morris, general manager of Pixar, said the film will have a unique look separate from Frank Frazetta's illustrations, which they found dated.
The irony here is that Frazetta's work generally (not just his Burroughs stuff) marked a huge leap in fantasy illustration toward a more dynamic and naturalistic look, compared to some of the extremely dated art that can be found in pulps of the '30s and '40s. (The Weird Tales covers for Howard's Conan stories, for example, look like stills from a bad silent movie.) The ERBzine website has some examples of the 1940s John Carter comics, which aren't bad but definitely reflect a '40s aesthetic. While Frazetta does have a certain '60s/'70s vibe to his paintings, I think it's more probable that the filmmakers are probably more concerned with being original and trying to get out from under his shadow.

I am very eager to see how the film's producers will 'update' the look of things. I imagine they'll also have to get creative about the nudity, to maintain their PG-13 rating.

Top Bottom