• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Demon economics: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha to be adapted into an anime

the_redstar_swl

Banned
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-27/maoyu-maoyusha-fantasy-novels-inspire-tv-anime
Pony Canyon will produce a television anime adaptation of Touno Mamare's Maoyū Maō Yūsha (Archenemy and Hero) fantasy novel series.

The story centers on the characters Maō (Demon Queen) and Yūsha (Hero) who live in a world where humans and demons are at war. Yūsha confronts Maō about the destructive war that the demons have imposed on humans. However, Maō tells him that the war has created a reason for humans to work together and improved human society overall. She convinces him that humans would fall into a bloody civil war without their battles against the demons. To prevent such a conflict, Yūsha decides to join forces with Maō.

The series began on the 2channel forum before Enterbrain began publishing the series in 2010. Its five volumes have sold over 450,000 copies, and there are also Episode 1: Nire no Kuni no Jo-Mahō Tsukai (The Sorceress of the Country of Elm) and Episode 0: Sakyū no Kuni no Yumi-zukai (The Archer of the Country of Dunes) spinoff novels. The series has already received several manga adaptations.
It would be awesome if they get Fukuyama Jun (Lawrence) and Koshimizu Ami (Horo) to do the voice acting, since they're already the VA's for the drama CDs.

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, I'm intrigued. I'll be watching it when it comes out. Maybe read the manga too when it comes out. That page from Comp-Ace you posted (presumably fan-translated), what's its title?

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay, I'm intrigued. I'll be watching it when it comes out. Maybe read the manga too when it comes out. That page from Comp-Ace you posted (presumably fan-translated), what's its title?
The three japanese words in the thread title.

dkellis

Validated User
I've not heard of this before. I'll check out the manga later.

I was disappointed by Spice and Wolf for not going enough into economic theory (and instead interrupting it with Supernatural Stuff), so I'm hoping this will be more educational.

Rainfall

Validated User
I've not heard of this before. I'll check out the manga later.

I was disappointed by Spice and Wolf for not going enough into economic theory (and instead interrupting it with Supernatural Stuff), so I'm hoping this will be more educational.
Note, that's still is a fantasy series with wars and shit. ;)

But yeah, mostly it's the Demon Queen wearing sensible clothes and trying to start an agricultural revolution. While looking for ways to make a lasting peace doable. Very interesting stuff.

dkellis

Validated User
Note, that's still is a fantasy series with wars and shit. ;)
Well, that's fine too. Not the wars, but the fantasy.

But yeah, mostly it's the Demon Queen wearing sensible clothes and trying to start an agricultural revolution. While looking for ways to make a lasting peace doable. Very interesting stuff.
I've checked out the manga the OP's image is from (which is apparently one of many versions), and I think I like this series. It hasn't gone into advanced theory yet, but that's fine.

I suppose I've mainly been looking for something resembling the Manga Guide To series of books, preferably extended beyond the basic theory level in those books. So far MMY seems to be it. It helps that the Demon Queen looks cute, especially when she's wearing sensible clothes.

I admit there's some weirdness over what sort of economic philosophy is being espoused here. On the one hand, "profit-loss rationality" is considered by the Queen to be the second-strongest bond, which seems another way of saying "rational self-interest" and all that implies, but the strongest bond is "love"...

Last edited:

SITB

Perpetually Clueless
Well, it could be beacuse that manga is shonen and need sappy stuff like that.

Or you can tie it to to the fact that while love is often irrational the affects that it causes can be sort of predicted. I am remeber Dune pointing out that once someone changed and has a set of concrete values s/he would rather die than betray those, and when one loves something (whether another person or an ideal) to such a degree that he is willing to die before giving it up you could say that it adopted that thing as a part of it's values that s/he will not give up; thus you can consider it as the fact that a person would rahter give up his life rather then give up his sense of self.

TL;DR: falling in love may be irrational, maintaing that state is very rational

Last edited:

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The three japanese words in the thread title.
Thing is, there's supposedly several manga adaptions. Not one. Several. Are they all titled the same? How do I differentiate between the various manga adaptions then? Or is the Comp-Ace one uses the "Maoyuu Maou Yuusha" while every other manga adaption uses a slightly different title?

Rainfall

Validated User
I admit there's some weirdness over what sort of economic philosophy is being espoused here. On the one hand, "profit-loss rationality" is considered by the Queen to be the second-strongest bond, which seems another way of saying "rational self-interest" and all that implies, but the strongest bond is "love"...
well, as I said, it's still fluffy fantasy entertainment. Although much smarter than other works of it's kind. Don't go in expecting TOO much ;)

Top Bottom