• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Demon: The Descent and splinters

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
We know from DtD's core rulebook (and in more detail in the Seattle book) that the God-Machine sets aside lil' spacetime splinters for its own use. There are two things I'm wondering about.

#1. Are there any splinters with significant alterations to WoD norms of natural law in them? That is, fantasy versions of an area, and like that? (I'm thinking here of stuff like what Kulan Gath did to the Marvel universe's New York City once.)

#2. Are there any splinters where time is allowed to run fast, or skipped directly ahead, to look at future versions of the area?

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member
We know from DtD's core rulebook (and in more detail in the Seattle book) that the God-Machine sets aside lil' spacetime splinters for its own use. There are two things I'm wondering about.

#1. Are there any splinters with significant alterations to WoD norms of natural law in them? That is, fantasy versions of an area, and like that? (I'm thinking here of stuff like what Kulan Gath did to the Marvel universe's New York City once.)

#2. Are there any splinters where time is allowed to run fast, or skipped directly ahead, to look at future versions of the area?
I don't see why not.

The basic set up is splinters just kinda cycle, looping through there little pocket, but there is no real reason in can't be vastly more complex. The key narrative change in making them more complex is your game might become Earth 1/616 instead of the "real" time line. I think variable time speed makes perfect sense and may be mentioned actually.

My assumption is in the holistic WoD the time splinters mostly are used to absorb the end end of the world over and over. As long as the God Machine functions there will always be a tomorrow for the world becuase it essentially splinters anything which dares upset the status quo.

Mages, Mummies, Abysal entities, really ambitious Gentry are all potential reality fucking super villains from a God Machine point of view. At thier top end they break reality and alter everything forever, so time and again they break the world and you get who knows what from Mirrors, or the 10k, or a blasted desert ruled by immortal madmen. And then tomorrow is ok again.

Just make those options less ephemeral, though I think in doing so you have to decide why the G-M favors Earth 1 so much.

Last edited:

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
Oh, I don't see why not, either, I was just curious if anything to either effect had seen print yet. (And secondarily what the rest of us out in gaming-public-land think.)

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Oh, I don't see why not, either, I was just curious if anything to either effect had seen print yet. (And secondarily what the rest of us out in gaming-public-land think.)
I think there is something on time dilation in there somewhere.

Interface has the Technology for detecting splinters in it (its an antenna, I may get it for my PC someday).

Looking back at Seattle I think 1889 answers some of your question in its preamble. Its not resetting anymore, its very different from default and the g-M influence is diminished.

Last edited:

stsword

Validated User

Since splinters are based on preserved former eras, and no city has a former era in which they were a fantasyland, it would be rather hard for the godmachine to make a splinter like that.

Now one could make splinters based on medieval or even earlier cities, sure. London, with all the times it's been destroyed, would make a good candidate for example, in my opinion.

Now could there be splinter like alternate cities of a more fantasy nature? Sure, scattered in the books there are at least two examples I can think of offhand.

Shadows over the UK, there is an alternate city.

In Mirrors, there's an alternate setting for nwod that turns up the urban fantasy nature to 11, with the nwod as is primarily known being the corpseland, and with a thousand or so shatterlands that can reflect the physical geography of the corpseland, and can do any type of fantasy you wanted.

New York is reflected in Undergotham, for example. With runic powered computers and an alchemy guild, etc.

So there's plenty of room for such things in nwod.

In fact, I think at one point Demon was going to have such things in the core book, called shards.

Last edited:

TechnocratJT

Want be in Avengers 5
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Since splinters are based on preserved former eras, and no city has a former era in which they were a fantasyland, it would be rather hard for the godmachine to make a splinter like that.

Now one could make splinters based on medieval or even earlier cities, sure. London, with all the times it's been destroyed, would make a good candidate for example, in my opinion.

Now could there be splinter like alternate cities of a more fantasy nature? Sure, scattered in the books there are at least two examples I can think of offhand.

Shadows over the UK, there is an alternate city.

In Mirrors, there's an alternate setting for nwod that turns up the urban fantasy nature to 11, with the nwod as is primarily known being the corpseland, and with a thousand or so shatterlands that can reflect the physical geography of the corpseland, and can do any type of fantasy you wanted.

New York is reflected in Undergotham, for example. With runic powered computers and an alchemy guild, etc.

So there's plenty of room for such things in nwod.

In fact, I think at one point Demon was going to have such things in the core book, called shards.
Well, one point I made badly is you could have an Abyssal entity more or less rewrite the world and the G-M eject the timeline in the nick of time. Instant fantasy shard.

Vault Dweller

Bard of Hope
Validated User
Well, one point I made badly is you could have an Abyssal entity more or less rewrite the world and the G-M eject the timeline in the nick of time. Instant fantasy shard.
I wonder if that's what happened to the Prince of 100,000 Leaves? As in, we already know that "reality itself" rejected the Prince in general terms - but could it have been an action of the God-Machine?

Top Bottom