• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Demon: the Descent] Switching Covers Mid-Chase

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
So, this has been banging on in the back of my head for like two weeks.

Suppose you have a demon with 2+ distinct Covers, and they're being chased through a city back alley/condemned tenement building/dark woods. During the chase, they get out-of-sight of their pursuers and decide "this is a good time to throw them off the trail!" and changes to their other Cover.

Now, if we assume that they're not actually injured, or carrying some other Condition around with them (or maybe they're just Winded), what exactly is their state when they switch?

* Are they the new Cover, in whatever the new Cover would be wearing?

I expect this is the most simplistic choice, but it then leaves me wondering about the purpose of the Quick Change Embed.

* Are they the new Cover in the old Cover's clothing?

While perhaps comical enough to pull on someone, I have expectations this isn't what's intended to happen.

* Do they "ripcord" to where the new Cover would be, even if the demon was somewhere else when they switched?

So, for example, your housewife is gabbing with her girlfriends at brunch, even if the demon had just been scrabbling through a sewer pipe across town in their other Cover.

This could have a lot of practical escape-uses, but I suspect that this isn't what's supposed to occur, given the amount of time the various Descent books talk about demons as quantum-state beings with their Covers layered all on top of each other. So the housewife would just now be in the sewer pipe and still needing to run.

Anyway, if anyone has opinions, or can point me at a discussion of something like this in the books, I would appreciate it.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Honestly, to me it depends on the level of the Cover. A low Cover would have the "old" Cover's clothes, or clothes completely unsuited to the situation at hand (like, a prim, clean suit while the character is wading through filth). A high Cover would have new clothes or clothes reflecting the situation, to help sell the fact you belong there.

You wouldn't teleport anywhere though. Aaand, if you don't have any convincing reason the new Cover belongs to the situation, you'd risk Compromise.

Xenesis

Syogun Changer
Validated User
Considering that the Storyteller's guide specifically calls out an example of a Demon shifting covers to escape a Werewolf, I think it implies the following base assumptions:

-The Cover's locations is always the Demon (unless an Embed/Exploit allows otherwise e.g. Alibi or whatever).
-The physical appearance is fully of the Cover swapped into (Quick Change is mostly for appropriate clothing for the location e.g. a suit at a state dinner or casual clothes at a sports game or whatever, although you could rule this one either way).
-Forensic evidence can potentially connect the two covers (The example in the ST Guide is only one set of footprints entering and leaving a location)

So basically you could definitely swap covers to escape as a completely different person (as is often the case in spy fiction) but it would be quite easy to unravel the second cover by compromises depending on how you manage the situation. Forensic evidence could definitely pose a problem long term, even if you escape short term.

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
From the folk tales rather than the game, demons tend to leave cloven hoofprints (Sometime smoking or still burning hoofprints!) after their human cover's been blown.
It amuses me to think that the cost of screwing up a demonic cover change might be a few really hard to explain trails down the sewers when forensics arrive...

"Look, goats are renowned for their climbing abilities, right? It could have just jumped down the sewer..."
"OK, for the sake of the argument, I'll buy the whole 'Goat in downtown LA jumps down sewer' theory, but how do you explain it climbing the ladder back out of the manhole?"

Xenesis

Syogun Changer
Validated User
As an aside, "leaves goat footprints" is an excellent idea for a Glitch.

I'm gonna file that one in my notes.

(un)reason

Making the Legend
Validated User
-The physical appearance is fully of the Cover swapped into (Quick Change is mostly for appropriate clothing for the location e.g. a suit at a state dinner or casual clothes at a sports game or whatever, although you could rule this one either way).
Unless they actually went to the effort of buying real clothes, which is the kind of thing that the Alternate Identity merit covers, reinforcing their identity by making a real false paper trail through mundane means, buying a real house, and otherwise reinforcing their identity through mundane objects rather than relying on Cover to conjure them, which is why it makes them so much harder to unravel through investigation, but could also be a problem in a situation like this.

Xenesis

Syogun Changer
Validated User
I'll be honest - The idea of managing Covers with the Alternate Identity merit makes my head hurt. :)

But the Rank of a Cover is an abstraction of the level of quality of that regardless, so yeah that seems pretty reasonable.

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
Unless they actually went to the effort of buying real clothes, which is the kind of thing that the Alternate Identity merit covers, reinforcing their identity by making a real false paper trail through mundane means, buying a real house, and otherwise reinforcing their identity through mundane objects rather than relying on Cover to conjure them, which is why it makes them so much harder to unravel through investigation, but could also be a problem in a situation like this.
Wait... I'm not following the assumption that something as simple as buying clothes constitutes the Alternate Identity merit, rather than just a Resources expenditure. I would've figured Identity covers, like "your Cover David Franklin, who also has a fake passport and fake ID saying that his name is Henry Ritter".

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
Considering that the Storyteller's guide specifically calls out an example of a Demon shifting covers to escape a Werewolf, I think it implies the following base assumptions:
Oh, great, they actually mentioned it then! I kind of skimmed the "other game" section of the Storyteller's Guide, so I was unaware it was being addressed, even as an implied subject.

Top Bottom