Destiny 2 Year 2 - I'm comin' home, Ace.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think so. He does have some Gambit Prime bounties that are not about Gambit Prime, tied to each of the 4 roles in Gambit Prime.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
I sure hope that mode isn't restricted to annual pass players, considering how good it is.
It is; when I got the in-game announcement of Gambit Prime, it had a big red "annual pass holders only" warning right at the top.

Wharrgarble

Communist for Christ
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, Gambit Prime and Reckoning are Annual Pass. One of the new exotic quests is too, the other is supposed to be open to Forsaken.

And yeah, Gambit Prime is a thoroughly refined Gambit with several special twists. The best improvement is the single round structure.

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
Yeah, Gambit Prime and Reckoning are Annual Pass. One of the new exotic quests is too, the other is supposed to be open to Forsaken.

And yeah, Gambit Prime is a thoroughly refined Gambit with several special twists. The best improvement is the single round structure.
There's a lot of good things to say about it.

I really enjoy the added difficulty in outright deleting the boss. Regular gambit against a two or three stack who put some effort in means you have precisely one chance to invade.

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
Apart from outlaw, kill clip, rampage, grave robber (which I really like because of my melee-heavy playstyle, I think it's not too popular in general?), the one that speeds up reload but wastes ammo, and the one that causes explosions on weakspot hits, are there any other traits worth watching for?
To stay sane, it's probably useful to keep in mind that a "god roll" and a completely dysfunctional combo of traits aren't all that far apart in performance in many scenarios :) "Good enough" is a useful mantra, especially since many weapons can't really be meaningfully "farmed". (Black armory is a nice exception here, for perfect roll chasers. Certain Lost Sector bosses also drop certain weapons at a higher rate). My MO is to get a good enough roll, and then ruthlessly shard anything that isn't my imagined perfect roll.

As for traits, the one that speeds up reload but wastes ammo (Drop Mag) is generally very strong because it takes up a mag slot, not a perk slot.

Rapid hit is good if you're landing lots of successive crits - you get a big boost to reload and stability as you stack it. Dragonfly is good for clearing and staggering lots of adds quickly.

Things that boost stability and accuracy can be useful on SMGS or rapid fire assault rifles (zen moment/under pressure), but those archetypes are a bit marginal at the moment.

I like slideshot and auto-loading holster on shotguns. Grave robber is also cool here. You want to find ways to avoid manually loading shotguns at all costs, I think. Of course, various class abilities can help here.

Some things are particularly relevant in PVP: Quickdraw/Snapshot are good examples of things that are really marginal in PVE, but can be lifesavers when split second differences matter. Triple tap (free ammo for rapid crits) on snipers is the other way around.

Cluster bomb used to be mandatory for rockets, but got nerfed. The exact same was true of Grenade launchers and proximity detonation (a columnt 2 trait).

Some things have neat synergies, like rampage and dragonfly. Explosions from dragonfly give stacks of rampage, and scale with rampage stacks. Other things work negatively together, like dragonfly and explosive rounds (since the explosive part of the round doesn't crit, you have a chance to lose dragonfly explosions).

Some people like ambitious assassin - get a huge mag after you reload after a lot of kills. It's not for me,(with one exception - Militia's birthright - a single shot grenade launcher, becomes hilarious with it.

That last combo illustrates the "problem" with general advice. Someone will always have a particular love for a weird combo. For a perfectionist that's a curse, but for other's its a fun chase : )

There's a bunch of new traits from the last two seasons, like surrounded and multikill-clip, that also have neat applications.

My bank is full of every purple I ever found as a warlock. (-: I know they could be pulled from collections now, but it's so much stuff to sort through!
If it doesn't have a Forsaken (or later) icon, you can dismantle it without any real sorting. (The rare exception would be guns you've given a different element via a mod in y1 - guns pulled from collections always have a "stock" element).

My experience in this kind of game (earlier it was The Division, Path of Exile before that) is I need to find a way to sort out 95% of stuff and trash it as quickly as possible. Worrying about it later just means stuff pile up till I don't want to go near it anymore.
IME you'll get a good heuristic for this with a little experimentation :) (and even as someone who takes the game far too seriously, I put a lot more stock in "does it make a cool sound" than if the TTK drops at 14 meters as opposed to 15)

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
There's also the issue of Masterworks. A bow that can be masterworked in Draw time will probably have a minuscule edge over one that has reload speed. Pvp weapons in general, and shotguns in particular, often want Range.

I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over a good roll having the "wrong" masterwork - the more important bit is the ability to generate orbs.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
To stay sane, it's probably useful to keep in mind that a "god roll" and a completely dysfunctional combo of traits aren't all that far apart in performance in many scenarios :) "Good enough" is a useful mantra, especially since many weapons can't really be meaningfully "farmed". (Black armory is a nice exception here, for perfect roll chasers. Certain Lost Sector bosses also drop certain weapons at a higher rate). My MO is to get a good enough roll, and then ruthlessly shard anything that isn't my imagined perfect roll.

As for traits, the one that speeds up reload but wastes ammo (Drop Mag) is generally very strong because it takes up a mag slot, not a perk slot.

Rapid hit is good if you're landing lots of successive crits - you get a big boost to reload and stability as you stack it. Dragonfly is good for clearing and staggering lots of adds quickly.

Things that boost stability and accuracy can be useful on SMGS or rapid fire assault rifles (zen moment/under pressure), but those archetypes are a bit marginal at the moment.

I like slideshot and auto-loading holster on shotguns. Grave robber is also cool here. You want to find ways to avoid manually loading shotguns at all costs, I think. Of course, various class abilities can help here.

Some things are particularly relevant in PVP: Quickdraw/Snapshot are good examples of things that are really marginal in PVE, but can be lifesavers when split second differences matter. Triple tap (free ammo for rapid crits) on snipers is the other way around.

Cluster bomb used to be mandatory for rockets, but got nerfed. The exact same was true of Grenade launchers and proximity detonation (a columnt 2 trait).

Some things have neat synergies, like rampage and dragonfly. Explosions from dragonfly give stacks of rampage, and scale with rampage stacks. Other things work negatively together, like dragonfly and explosive rounds (since the explosive part of the round doesn't crit, you have a chance to lose dragonfly explosions).

Some people like ambitious assassin - get a huge mag after you reload after a lot of kills. It's not for me,(with one exception - Militia's birthright - a single shot grenade launcher, becomes hilarious with it.

That last combo illustrates the "problem" with general advice. Someone will always have a particular love for a weird combo. For a perfectionist that's a curse, but for other's its a fun chase : )

There's a bunch of new traits from the last two seasons, like surrounded and multikill-clip, that also have neat applications.

If it doesn't have a Forsaken (or later) icon, you can dismantle it without any real sorting. (The rare exception would be guns you've given a different element via a mod in y1 - guns pulled from collections always have a "stock" element).

IME you'll get a good heuristic for this with a little experimentation :) (and even as someone who takes the game far too seriously, I put a lot more stock in "does it make a cool sound" than if the TTK drops at 14 meters as opposed to 15)
There's also the issue of Masterworks. A bow that can be masterworked in Draw time will probably have a minuscule edge over one that has reload speed. Pvp weapons in general, and shotguns in particular, often want Range.

I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over a good roll having the "wrong" masterwork - the more important bit is the ability to generate orbs.
Lots of neat advice! Thank you very much!

I remember ambitious assassin. Pulse rifle with 50+ magazine size is hillarious. I would finish up an encounter, try to reload and it wouldn't do anything, since I was beyond max already. (-:

Masterwork bonus is set the first time a gun is improved, right? No changing later?

Wharrgarble

Communist for Christ
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a lot of good things to say about it.

I really enjoy the added difficulty in outright deleting the boss. Regular gambit against a two or three stack who put some effort in means you have precisely one chance to invade.
The invader is the single most important role in the Primeval phase of the match, yeah. I've sweated games that should've been a breeze (oppo bank drained to 0 or whereabouts, our primeval up) because the other team had one excellent invader that ruthlessly sniped our primeval's health to the top. The greatest tragedy is that I love clearig blockers, but suck at Invader hunting, but the Sentry role is half-and-half.

It's interesting that Gambit Prime strategy re: Primeval phases is the opposite of normal Gambit.
In normal gambit, you want to kill the envoys and melt the primeval ASAP.
In Gambit Prime, there's no force in this universe that will let you kill it before the first dps subphase ends, so what you want to do is save your heavy ammo and supers until you have enough primeval stacks.

Also, since alphaing the primeval right out of the gate is less important, there's a place for roaming supers that let you slaughter hard mobs in the first phase.

Doleco

phalanges mortis
Validated User
The invader is the single most important role in the Primeval phase of the match, yeah. I've sweated games that should've been a breeze (oppo bank drained to 0 or whereabouts, our primeval up) because the other team had one excellent invader that ruthlessly sniped our primeval's health to the top. The greatest tragedy is that I love clearig blockers, but suck at Invader hunting, but the Sentry role is half-and-half.

It's interesting that Gambit Prime strategy re: Primeval phases is the opposite of normal Gambit.
In normal gambit, you want to kill the envoys and melt the primeval ASAP.
In Gambit Prime, there's no force in this universe that will let you kill it before the first dps subphase ends, so what you want to do is save your heavy ammo and supers until you have enough primeval stacks.

Also, since alphaing the primeval right out of the gate is less important, there's a place for roaming supers that let you slaughter hard mobs in the first phase.
There might be some situations where allowing the invader to kill your whole team as quickly as possible is more advantageous than trying to fight back.

Timing the invasion just right is also important. You don't want to invade when the opposing team's Prime is at full health, but you also don't want them to have free reign to down their envoy's uninterrupted since this is the key to stacking Primeval Slayer.

Gambit is a strange game....

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
Tonight, we did the Io quest with the music. Damn, this game has some great quests...

Top Bottom