Devil May Cry 5

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Kinda surprised there isn't a thread for this already, but anybody else playing DMC5 5? I have sort of a similar relationship to DMC that I have to Kingdom Hearts, in that I played the very first one ages ago and then hadn't picked up any of the sequels of spinoffs until a new one came out this year. Unlike Kingdom Hearts 3 however, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of this one so far. The story is basically just an excuse to string together a bunch of dope action set pieces, but damn those are some dope set pieces. The aesthetics are sort of like if a modern Final Fantasy stopped taking itself seriously and just said fuck it let's turn the "metal" and "anime" knobs up to 11 and see what happens. And the gameplay is fun as hell (although I admit when I'm playing as the Adam Driver summoner guy I often just devolve into button mashing because its hard to keep track of all his minions).

manwhat

Thoroughly mediocre GM.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've picked it up but haven't played too far yet.

While the controller-rebinding isn't perfect, it is functional and I highly recommend it. For example (using 360 controller conventions), on Nero, rebinding shoot to RT and attacking to X makes things a lot more reasonable.

My biggest issue is just learning patience. The first 'real' boss, Goliath, is pretty simple by the standards of anyone who's ever played, say, a Dark Souls game. Outside of getting blindsided by his vacuum-attack, getting hit by him is almost entirely your own fault for getting greedy while he winds up an attack...
So naturally my first time against him I ended up needing to eat a gold orb.

Grantanz

Validated User
The reviews are stellar, and I played the first one to death on PS2, but my backlog is super full at the moment and I have (much to my surprise) managed to only wishlist this for now. :)

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's great. I've already beaten it on Devil Hunter, and am currently in the process of systematically S-ranking all the Human and Devil Hunter missions (except the early Urizen boss fights; those I can stay content with an A-rank in for the time being) to get the mechanics down so I can do well on Son of Sparda. I've heard Dante Must Die is as hard as it's ever been this time around, so, looking forward to that, considering I've never beaten a DMC game on DMD before.

I had some complaints about a few specific story details but have decided to reserve judgment for now, based on the accuracy and potential content of a certain leak.

Spoiler: Show
Someone who leaked a bunch of info about it months ago that all turned out to be true has leaked a bunch more info, specifically that there's a paid DLC content pack in the works called Ladies' Night that will come with playable Trish, Lady, and Lucia; this may assuage my dissatisfaction with the way the core game treated Trish and Lady, or it may not; it's hard to say.

Given that Bloody Palace drops on April 1st and all signs indicate it will also include the series' traditional bonus playable character, I fully expect to be messing around with this one for months to come.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
I love the game... haven't gotten to far into it (Mission 6?) because if I play too long it kills my hands but it is really awesome overall.

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I have thoughts on DMC5’s final two boss fights. Here be spoilers.

Is it just me or does the version of the story being told in the combat chatter feel like it’s from an earlier version of the script?

Specifically, during the Dante/Vergil fight, there’s the exchange that goes “You cut off your own son’s arm for this?” “My son means nothing to me.” But then at the end of the fight, Vergil goes “Nero is my son?” Those two don’t mesh.

And then during the entire Nero/Vergil fight, all the dialog is about Nero trying to force Vergil to recognize him as a person. But! The whole story in the cutscenes before that is Nero and V really getting along well, and V thinks Nero is the only one strong enough to kill Urizen, and then after Vergil tells Dante “Get strong so I can kill you properly,” he turns and just goes “Thank you, Nero.” This isn’t the dialogue of a character who doesn’t accept his son as a person. Vegil is still a tremendous asshole in the cutscenes version of the story, but he seems to be already affording Nero a baseline level of respect and recognition that, in the combat chatter, is what Nero is trying to extract from him. In the dialogue leading up to the fight, it is a non-issue whether Vergil respects Nero, and the issue is entirely about making Vergil give up on trying to kill Dante to make a point.

I feel like there was an earlier draft of the script where the relationship between Vergil and Nero was built on Nero trying to get Vergil’s respect and Vergil just consistently not giving a single fuck about him, and someone went “No, this doesn’t work, because even if Nero beats Vergil and earns his respect, the way he had to earn it will leave Vergil too much of an unpalatably colossal asshole in the audience’s eyes for them to be able to appreciate the humor of Dante and Vergil finding contentment in just sparring forever in hell. Let’s soften this a bit.” And then they didn’t fix the chatter, for whatever reason.

Sjogre

Validated User
Enh.

I've never been clear on why so many fans give Vergil a pass on the shit he's pulled. When he was a mind-controlled minion of Mundus he had an excuse, but then the third game showed that he was fratricidal mass-murderer of his own will, and an awful lot of fans still considered him a hero. Yanking off his son's arm didn't cause that sentiment to die down in the slightest, so I doubt that anything will.

Vergil being a grade-A sack of shit is pretty on brand for him, and when V merged Urizen, all of V's better points where tossed in the garbage pretty quickly. Remember, V was the person that accepted Nero, and the person that was felt guilt over Vergil's past actions, and the guy that tried to stop Urizen. Vergil said thanks to Nero for helping V, and therefore himself as Vergil, then he looked at the actions he committed as Urizen, and decided he was okay with that. Hell, the only reason that Vergil decided to fight Nero was to score points in his stupid-ass competition with Dante, and as far as I can tell, the reason that he finally tried to clean up his own damn mess was because he decided he had to do something for the winner.

If anything, I suspect that the boss chatter doesn't match because the game was shortened late in production and had to skip incidents of Vergil being a shitheel, rather than any deliberate attempt to soften his image.

I'm still kinda pissed that he got anything approaching a happy ending. I honestly kinda hope that he gets turned back into V, because V actually wasn't a giant shitheel.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
I think it boils down to 'people like bad guys'(to the first question, I can't say about the rest.)

Now, granted, there's a difference between 'Liking bad guys', and 'softening bad guys'-oddly enough, the latter I see happen more with people who try to NOT like bad guys, because they like a particular character a lot and feel like they have to justify liking them by trying to make them look cleaner. (I'm in the boat of if you like a villain, like a villain, big deal. I'm a big fan of villains, though I of course don't like every villain. I admittedly love Vergil though.)

I love almost everything DMC, for what it's worth. One of my fav series. Save 2. :p

Requiem_17_23

Mrglglglgl
Validated User
I got this for free with my graphics card and wouldn't have thought it my thing. I am going to have to get all the others now.

Top Bottom