• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Diaspora] Clusternomicon

GraveÀccent

Satrap of Saturn
Thank you for the kind words.

Yeah, you definitely caught a Jew in a New Testament mistake.

But given that earth and its holy books are vague myths in ze future, I'll stand by the mistake.
Right, their sources for earth religious texts are records from 20th-21st century popular culture, when people did commonly name it in the plural. For example, a stash of archaic documents requiring a laser to read the surface while it is spun, providing 2 dimensional moving pictures and sound.

The situation is only a step removed from what we know about the Manichaean and Zoroastrian canons of holy books... "Once we had a full set, you know! Not just a couple of books we can hardly read anymore!"

Or more so, Muslims believe there were books revealed to Abraham and Idris (Enoch) and since lost to time.

DCAnsell

Here's one for an upcoming game. With any luck, we'll see an AP out of it. The cluster was laid out using Nutty Clusters.

The Avalon Cluster

General cluster background: Five hundred years ago, Avalon was the first world in the cluster to recover space travel, after the last collapse. It also recovered slipstream tech first. The Star Kingdom of Avalon was set up in short order, encompassing every system in the cluster save Maricopa. Two hundred years ago, the Star Kingdom fell apart in a series of civil wars and revolutions. The cluster came close to another general collapse, until Gibraltar and Hesperia, two rising military powers in the wake of the end of the Star Kingdom, literally pounded each other into rubble and ruin, bringing a rather abrupt end to the conflicts. The last century has seen the rise of Dekar, a totalitarian state that has ambitions to again unite the cluster under one flag.

Maricopa T0,E-1,R0
Proudly independent
Too close to the sun
Our culture will save us
Slipstreams to: Moor, Gibraltar, Hesperia.

Maricopa is a world at the inner edge of it's star's biosphere. Only the polar regions are truly habitable, and there is very little land area, since both poles are largely liquid seas. The Maricopans have a very old culture, by cluster standards, one pre-dating the last collapse. Honor is very important to them, formal duelling is very much a part of their lives, and is even a mass media event, between popular or well-known duellists. Maricopa has always, due to its position at one 'edge' of the cluster, been a backwater of sorts, left largely to its own affairs. In the last few decades, the local technology has risen to the point where mining stations and even some orbital habitats have begun to appear in the system, but the Maricopans are confident that they are up for any challenge they might face in the black of space.

Adventure Idea: Gone Fishing - Maricopan sea life, due to the nature of the world, is quite robust. Much of Maricopa's livelihood comes from the sea, but sometimes the fishermen are the bait. Adventurers find themselves on a Maricopan fishing boat, dealing both with the local sealife, and the rather brutal life aboard ship.

Adventure Idea: Vendetta - Some Maricopan families have feuds going back generations. Often these feuds generate an endless series of duels and less formal conflicts. Characters find themselves drawn into the middle of such a feud, possibly by unknowingly (or deliberately) taking one side or the other.

Moor T-1,E1,R1

Lots and lots of ice
Micro-states
Casablanca of the stars
Slipstreams to: Maricopa, Gibraltar, Avalon, Dekar.

Moor is a beautiful world, a bit cool, but liveable on most of its surface. The people of Moor, since the last recovery, have never really managed to come together as a world, instead literally hundreds of governments rule various bits of the planet. Alliances and confederations come and go, as do conflicts of various sorts, but the situation has been almost stable in its sheer chaotic instability. Moor has considerable resources, ample for local needs, though it does happily trade for things from offworld. Notable in the skies of Moor are glittering rings of ice, ranging from specks to continental size pieces, making the night sky a rarely beautiful sight. Moor is quite a tourist attraction for the wealthy of Avalon and Dekar, and it has gained a reputation as a genial neutral, amid the rising tension between Avalon and Dekar, seemingly willing to ignore minor troubles caused by both sides, so long as the money keeps rolling in.

Gibraltar T-1,E-1,R1

We'll take all the help we can get
Rebuilding slowly
Nothing will stop us!
Slipstreams to: Maricopa, Moor, Hesperia.

Gibraltar is a world in the process of rebuilding after getting quite thoroughly pounded by neighboring Hesperia nearly a century ago. The main world is in ruins, the cities largely destroyed by kinetic weapon impacts and nuclear strikes. Still, despite the damage to the ecosphere, and loss of nearly all their industrial base, the people of Gibraltar are quite cheerful seeming as they go about salvaging their planet. Gibraltar has resources to trade, especially in it's asteroid belt, and has been selling licenses to mine those resources to interested concerns from both Dekar and Avalon, in return for help with the rebuilding process. What will happen when Gibraltar regains the local ability to meaningfully access those resources itself is open to question. All parties seem content to leave such concerns for the future to sort out.

Hesperia T-1,E-1,R0

Dying world
Serious radiation
Gibraltar is the enemy
Slipstreams to: Maricopa, Gibraltar, Avalon.

Hesperia, like Gibraltar, took a pounding a century ago. Unlike Gibraltar, the nuclear strikes were much cruder and dirtier, and the resulting damage seems to have been too much for the world's ecosystem to take. Much of the surface is completely uninhabitable without radiation shielding, at least in part because the world's atmosphere has lost much of its ability to stop solar radiation, though there is lingering radiation in some places from the war blasts. The Hesperians hate Gibraltar with a passion, and while right now there is little they can do about it, someday they will have revenge. Many Hesperian survivors have been evacuated to Avalon, where they form an unfortunate underclass.

Avalon T2,E-1,R1

Tradition is all
We have enough
Faded Glory
Slipstreams to: Moor, Hesperia, Dekar.

Avalon is a harsh, but livable world, with considerable tectonic activity. It is quite rich in resources, at least in part due to the active tectonics, though the dangerous life of an Avalonian miner is almost proverbial in the cluster, right up there with that of a Maricopan fisherman. Much of the population of the system is in orbital habitats, clustered around the mainworld. These 'star castles' are things of beauty, though the need to spin for pseudo-gravity and other technical concerns put a brake on the designs getting too fanciful. Avalonian culture is very much backward looking, with fashions and mannerisms among the upper classes frozen in the patterns popular at the height of the Star Kingdom. The general consensus seems to be that if the rest of the cluster was foolish enough to reject the enlightened rule of Avalon, they can go to hell. Avalon will endure and remain without them. Still, Avalon maintains an active merchant fleet that trades all over the cluster, and the Royal Avalonian Star Navy, for all its pretension, is a professional and highly effective military force.

Dekar T2,E-1,R0

Rising empire
Citizen clans rule all
We Engineer People!
Slipstreams to: Moor, Avalon.

Dekar, local legend states, was at one point a prison planet. The clans that rule the planet claim to be descended from prison gangs. After the last recovery, the clans grudgingly became part of the Star Kingdom, and took full advantage of access to the technologies of Avalon. Dekaran manipulations led directly to the fall of the Kingdom, and while the Kingdom was falling, the Dekaran State, a strong coalition of the leading clans, was rising. The State's ambitions are to replace the Kingdom, but it faces significant obstacles. The members of the ruling clans are now Citizens, each holding considerable power and authority. Most of the lower classes, or Proles, are in fact genetically engineered clones, tailored and conditioned to their particular job or profession from birth. Dekar itself is a dim, uninviting world, albeit survivable. Pollution from industry is a continuing problem, so domes litter the surface, and filter masks are normal wear.

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User
DC, I love how you got cluster history emerging from a simple description of cluster-present. Potentially interesting also is the fact that there are plenty of resources around but almost nowhere nice to live -- icy and with a failing industry, Moor is nonetheless the only comfortable place to stand outside and breathe deeply. That's gotta be worth something!

Awesome cluster -- I am eagerly awaiting the games that take place here.

DCAnsell

DC, I love how you got cluster history emerging from a simple description of cluster-present. Potentially interesting also is the fact that there are plenty of resources around but almost nowhere nice to live -- icy and with a failing industry, Moor is nonetheless the only comfortable place to stand outside and breathe deeply. That's gotta be worth something!

Awesome cluster -- I am eagerly awaiting the games that take place here.
Many thanks for the kind words. As we discussed the cluster, we kicked around some thoughts, and I'm a big David Drake fan, so some of the Lt. Leary stuff filtered into the mix, and then we needed a place that had to look like a cross between Geidi Prime in the Dune movie, and the prison planet from Chronicles of Riddick, so Dekar was born.

I'm really looking forward to the game as well, our characters so far include an Avalonian merchant, a genetically engineered gladiator from Dekar, and a tech scavenger from Hesperia. We might also have a con artist hailing from Moor, if the player can make the game. Haven't actually played the characters yet, but I think it will be quite cool when we do.

In a very real sense, whoever controls Moor will control the cluster, since Moor has the highest population, good resources, and free air. All it really needs is a tech base, and it'll be sitting pretty.

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I suppose it doesn't bode well that I can't open a .rar file on my linux machine. Is Nutty Clusters a windows only application?
Yes, it's a compiled Delphi app. I understand there's a Delphi compiler for Linux but I don't think anyone's rebuilt this project with it. There are several other generators out there though -- Gordon McC's web based one uses circo from graphviz which has a lot of geek appeal for me. Personally I use graphviz straight up. :D I wrote a little network juggler in Processing that does the job too but I can't find it.

Last edited:

RPG_Dad

Retired User
I suppose it doesn't bode well that I can't open a .rar file on my linux machine. Is Nutty Clusters a windows only application?
File-roller, the archive manager program that comes with Ubuntu Linux, can expand .rar files. In earlier versions of Ubuntu and/or file-roller, I think you needed to also download the unrar plugin.

slashnull

Retired User
Yes, it's a compiled Delphi app. I understand there's a Delphi compiler for Linux but I don't think anyone's rebuilt this project with it. There are several other generators out there though -- Gordon McC's web based one uses circo from graphviz which has a lot of geek appeal for me. Personally I use graphviz straight up. :D I wrote a little network juggler in Processing that does the job too but I can't find it.
Ooh, that's the one I wrote :) I was looking more for a non-random generator that made pretty pictures - here's what I came up with for a web front end for graphviz:

http://sprucemoose.net/cgi-bin/nrc

Which allows me to recreate, say, the Avalon cluster and see what the different graph styles make of it.

Also thanks to the folks for pointing me in the right direction for opening .rar files even if it doesn't help me this time, I'm sure it will be handy in the future!

Top Bottom