• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Diaspora] Clusternomicon

Destriarch

Sane Studios
Validated User
Apparently you can get Nutty Clusters running on Linux by using Wine emulation. Someone did take the source files from me to attempt a Linux conversion too, but I won't mention names here in case things don't go as planned - don't want to embarrass anyone unduly!

Here's Wine, in the meantime: http://www.winehq.org/

-Ash

ExCrusader

Darren Brewster
Validated User
Apparently you can get Nutty Clusters running on Linux by using Wine emulation. Someone did take the source files from me to attempt a Linux conversion too, but I won't mention names here in case things don't go as planned - don't want to embarrass anyone unduly!

Here's Wine, in the meantime: http://www.winehq.org/

-Ash
I was the person that reported that on the Fate Yahoo Group. I am just using the version of Wine in the Ubuntu 9.04 repositories. The only thing that doesn't work great is the jpeg export. It cuts the picture off a little bit on both sides.

Destriarch

Sane Studios
Validated User
I was the person that reported that on the Fate Yahoo Group. I am just using the version of Wine in the Ubuntu 9.04 repositories. The only thing that doesn't work great is the jpeg export. It cuts the picture off a little bit on both sides.
that was a bug in the earlier versions of the program, though I thought it only happened with odd numbers of slipknots. If your file is labelled as 1.0 or 1.1 you might like to grab the updated version. Especially if it's 1.0 since I added some nice new features in later editions.

If it is the latest version I'll admit I don't know why that should be happening. I'll look at it again in the morning. Any chance you could send me the cls file?

Ash

slashnull

Retired User
Thanks to unraring and wine I can now run Nutty Clusters! All looks good to me, the jpg export works like a charm!

ExCrusader

Darren Brewster
Validated User
that was a bug in the earlier versions of the program, though I thought it only happened with odd numbers of slipknots. If your file is labelled as 1.0 or 1.1 you might like to grab the updated version. Especially if it's 1.0 since I added some nice new features in later editions.

If it is the latest version I'll admit I don't know why that should be happening. I'll look at it again in the morning. Any chance you could send me the cls file?

Ash
Sure can. What is the link to the latest version? Also, if you want to PM me your email address I will try to recreate the problem and send the file to you. Going to the orchard to pick apples with family today, but I will be able to do it later tonight.

Destriarch

Sane Studios
Validated User
The version linked to in this thread is the latest one. Here it is again to save you looking for it.
http://sanestudios.peregrinedruids.com/temp/NC V1.2.rar

You can email me with bug reports at eldritchdesign AT aol DOT com (since I forgot to put that into the documentation. If I do a new version I'll have to remember to put contact details in the manual or about screen too.)

-Ash

ExCrusader

Darren Brewster
Validated User
The version linked to in this thread is the latest one. Here it is again to save you looking for it.
http://sanestudios.peregrinedruids.com/temp/NC V1.2.rar

You can email me with bug reports at eldritchdesign AT aol DOT com (since I forgot to put that into the documentation. If I do a new version I'll have to remember to put contact details in the manual or about screen too.)

-Ash
Alright, expect a more complete report later today.

oliof

Validated User
This is what is known about the First Wave Cluster. Eight systems, interlinked and with a rich history, most of which is forgotten.

Here is a map:

And here are the worlds with their Aspects:

Ars Technica has been colonized as part of the first colonization wave - not just because of its unique environment, but also because it was evident from the start that this is a rich system.

This richness in resources allowed the immediate extrusion of factories to use the raw materials and produce goods for export. The goal of Ars Technica always had been to provide goods for a convenient or even luxurious living to as many cultures as possible, even to those existing under adverse conditions. The big success of the standard product palette and the high quality of Ars products guaranteed the continued research and development so that even the most exotic and demanding customer requests can be satisfied.

Ars Technica now exports diverse products, from Nano Factories for the mining of gas giants to Slipstream Drives for many customers. Not only are good commodities, but also custom engineering and custom products for specialized operations are fabricated.

The Technocratic Socienty Ars Technica is the furthest development of human society in the local cluster. It recognizes the responsibility for the human population in the region and hence holds a strictly neutral position in all questions diplomatic as well as in trade politics.

The complete control of the hostile living environment and the production of habitat paradises continue to demonstrate the superior stage of development of Ars culture and society. A terraforming of the homeworld would only distract from this.

The fifth planet of Bob's star is an old world that once held a civilisation which reached T4 without destroying itself and without transcending. Therefore it should be possible to find the beings that once lived here and maybe even communicate with then in order to learn their secrets. The one or the consortium to facilitate this will be well off, indeed.

The orbit of B5 holds a band of research stations which control the exploration of B5's surface. Both planets next to B5, B4 (hostile, sulphuric atmosphere) and B6 (an icy wasteland) also host arcologies which offer all convenience to host the best technicians and researchers of the cluster.

On B5 itself exist small base stations and small colonies that are hermetically sealed in spite of the friendly garden world around them, in order to preserve a pristine research environment. These settlements exist as base camps for expeditions and to produce things that cannot produced on board of the orbital stations.

In general the Contract Of Camp Alpha is in force, which insures that there are no permanent settlements on B5, that the pristine environment is being preserved and no archeological knowledge is lost. It severely limits the footprint that resarchers can leave on B5.

There is an uneasy truce between the parties involved: They have to keep up the cooperative facade in the name of science and research, but under the table all kind of kicks and knocks are shared - as long as appearances are being kept and the Contract Of Camp Alpha is help up at least in name. This includes - in part - even armed commandos of "independend luddites".

On B5 stations of all important parties from the Cluster can be found - the Technocrats from Ars Technica as well as the Waynes, important conglomerates from Serengeti and many more, because B5 is open to everyone who can afford the travel to the far end of the cluster and the cost of operating a station. But: Nobody has found anything yet - at least officially. On the other hand, representatives of the Diocese have left their station sealed and removed their presence in the system.

Chimera's system holds only one planet with multiple trabants and a vast asteroid belt, which according to several scientists consists of the remains of multiple other planets.

Chimera itself has only limited dry land amidst a vast ocean of water which is so toxic that only very few plants and animals can survive in it. Thus, until very recently life on Chimera had been frugal and laborious. But in the last few decades human settlements outgrew the few archiples of dry land onto vast cities of floats.

For food Chimera is still dependent on outsystem imports, but two centuries ago a discovery was made which made a unique technology available, changed life on the planet fundamentally and enabled a massive growth.

The technology has been found by one of the first research missions down to the floor of the ocean, where it was found among the ruins of a lost culture. It allows the genetic modification of humans so that Chimera now can produce and export genetically altered workers for the exploitation of hostile environments.

These so called Semi-humans are designed in a lab, artificially created and grown until they are ready for use before they are sold and shipped. On Chimera they are mainly used for deep sea exploration, as the Chimerans have been able to create a variant which can not only breathe from water, but is also mostly immune to the toxins of the Chimeran sea.

Deep sea exploration is of prime importance on Chimera, as a bacteria which is important for the creation of new kinds of Semi-humans can only be found down there. The efforts spent on this exploration currently limit the export of Semi-human from Chimera, yet the world still looks forward to a bright future.

The Chimeran society is a strict caste society. The lowest are the Semi-humans, which are seen as property and have no rights. At the top are the Typhonides, the sons of the earth and the sky, which make all important decisions on Chimera. They control most of the wealth and own most of the dry land. There are only seven Typhonidic families.

Many administrative functions are in the hands of the Echides, the sons of the sea. Their caste is also relatively small, and they still live a luxury life. Below them are three other castes of humans, which perform all other tasks in society and which partially suffer bitter poverty and live in hunger.

The system of The Diocese of the Society of Light is inhabited mainly by followers of the sect of the same name. These religious fanatics have separated themselves thousands of years ago from the rest of the inhabitants of the system and were left behind after the Great Exodus when the others left the system (and even the cluster?).

Over time the followers re-settled the entire system, overtaxing its limited capabilities for carrying life. The local technology has not been able to produce slip drives for quite some time, but large and clunky in-system transports are common.

The main world of Diocese is in ruins and has been deprived of useful ressources. A war between rival factions of the sect led to nuclear fallout and a loss of breathable atmosphere. Currently, the followers of the diocese are living in large transporters and in orbital stations, which are not sustainable using only in-system ressources.

It is not clear what holds the sectarians in this system. They would find better living conditions in almost any other system. But there are rumors that somewhere in the vast spaces of the Diocese system the messias would be living, which will lead all true believers into paradise once he choses to reveal himself.

Serengeti is a Dyson-Sphere built by an unknown human civilisation which has left the known universe. The whole surface of the sphere is densely populated by natural and modified plants and animals. It is basically a collection of a lot of different, huge landscapes - some of which quite strange, wild or even highly dangerous.

There are no mineral resources. The whole sphere consists of a sheet of neutronium covered by a coat of other materials. This coat varies in thickness and is sufficient to support life but too thin to contain mineral resources.

There may be technologies, settlements of previous inhabitants or other treasures, but in the nearly infinite ranges of Serengeti none have been found yet.

Since all known surfaces of Serengeti are inhabitable and quite fertile, there is no shortage of food and natural building materials. Apart from the sphere though there are no objects or resources such as gas giants, metals or even rocks in the system, because every material and more has been consumed by the building of the sphere. Metals and all other non-biological materials have thus to be imported.

Serengeti is home to an incredible number of people: Around the six still useable gates along the equatorial plane, there are billions of people on several 100.000 km - and still most of Serengeti is only thinly populated or completely uninhabited. Most of the surface is even still unexplored and uncharted. The areas around the poles, in particular, have not yet been reached and are completely white on the maps.

Even the distances between existing human cultures around the gates are astronomical and there is little cultural exchange - independent cultures quite different from each other have evolved out of colonies from different systems of origin, having arrived in Serengeti at different times in the past.

Serengeti's slipstream technology stems from the second wave of colonization and not from the builders of the sphere. Most materials for the construction of ships have to be imported since there are not mineral resources on Serengeti.

Many technologies and industries of the Serengeti cultures are based on regrowing resources or biotechnology, relying on the exotic life forms of the sphere. Human labor is in infinite supply on Serengeti, at least in the settlement areas.

Avalon is a very large system with many inhabitable planets, and one of the busiest systems in the cluster. Traders, explorers and colony ships are coming to port or are leaving the system, trying to make use of the many available resources of the system, to trade rare goods or to install a worker colony and factories on another of the many asteroids and planets. The system has 13 planets, of which seven are inhabitable and one represents the idyll of Avalon, mythical and dangerous at the same time. Everywhere within the system various raw materials can be found, be it metal, rare isotopes or gas giants with an exploitable atmosphere.

Avalon is very well known for its many lively ports of trade, with the main trade center being the planet "Camelot", home to the original inhabitants of the system. The surface of the planet is barren and holds little vegetation, due to its distance to the sun and the temperature fluctuations that follow. But Camelot offers every single known product of the system for sale, but is even more known for the services it offers and its less well respected "information trade". As the proverb says: "You may come to Camelot in Innocence, but you will return with a Bounty on your head."

Also part of the system is the planet Avalon, an idyllic garden world, rich in valuable raw materials and a paradise for everyone - at least on the scanners. But no ship ever trying to land there has ever returned. As they enter the planets atmosphere, they will suddenly vanish from the scanners and comms will break down. Nobody has ever seen any of these ships or their crews after such an event.

The society of Camelot is primitive, in an early stage of the atom age, and led by one central democratically elected parliament. The entire technology of Camelot has been salvaged and scavenged from previous relicts of its predecessor, which was far more advanced, but broke down in a war. The inhabitants of Camelot spend a big part of their trade proceeds to finance more archeological expeditions in order to learn more about science and technology of the ancients.

After discovering Avalon, the Wayne Consortium has had an eye on Avalon and tries in secret to explore the planet. Wayne protects the trade port of Camelot and guarantees peaceful free trade, and the parliament on Camelot allows the permanent presence of armed Wayne Corp. ships in the system in return. Any ship coming from slipstreams from Serengeti or Glanzheim will have to identify itself to a Wanye guardship before it can enter the system.

Glanzheim really is just a particularly large planetoid within the system of Duplex Sors, orbiting around the gas giants "Urd" and "Skuld" which are the "Sun" of the system. The systems slipstream exit point is unusual in that it happens to be relatively precisely in the gravitational center between the two worlds. This, plus the fact that the system is filled to the brim with asteroids of all sizes makes navigation in the system difficult and dangerous.

The first to learn this have been the colonists which arrived full of hope into this world. They have been mostly poor and hopeless, which had been lured by the promises of a group of scammers, offering a golden future in Glanzheim. Already when entering the system their ship had been damaged beyond repair and they barely made it to a "moon" of the double gas giant, the planetoid they named "Glanzheim".

Fortunately there have been some technicians, engineers and scientists amond the luckless, and they managed to create a bunker on Glanzheim. Using the life support systems from the remains of their ship and a large amount of easily accessible local raw materials they managed to survive the first years. They quickly found out that they happened to live on a hostile, but rich world, and slowly dug their way deeper and deeper into their planetoid, creating more space for living as a side effect.

Today, the Glanzheimers are selling raw materials which they mine from their home planetoid and trade them for food and technology, which they require in order to maintain the life support systems on their world. It is still the dream of many Glanzheimers to save enough money for a passage to a garden world. But since the operation of the bunker consumes giant amounts of money, and because Glanzheimers do not own any ships of their own and cannot build them, even from the third generation of Glanzheimers hardly anyone makes it out of the system.

Recent reseach has found that even the smaller asteroids of Duplex Sors contain high levels of useful and valueable materials. Now many Glanzheimers are trying to create methods to catch them or mine them.

Halflight is the only inhabitable world within the stardust system. This is because it is rather at the far end of the green zone which is capable of sustaining human life around a star, and also because of the large amounts of stardust which gave the system its name, and which prevent a lot of light from reaching the planet.

But it is this stardust that is the boon and the bane of Halflight: The dust is energized by some component of the stars radiation before it enters the atmosphere of Halflight, where it reacts with the gases of the atmosphere, crystallizes and goes down to the ground in glowing crystals of varying sizes, some up to the size of a fist.

On the ground the crystals emit radiation again, in part as visible light, in part as a strange mixture of very high and very low frequency radiation. This has two known effects: In humans it is known to improve the ability to concentrate and to further aggressive tendencies, it also creates an addicition. In certain metals, it makes them high-tensile and structurally resilent, when they are exposed to the radiation while liquid. It makes them very useful in building complicated structures that are exposed to large stresses.

Halflight is inhabited mostly by crystal prospectors, and additionally crystal junkies, which can or want no longer live without the radiation, traders, gamblers and criminals. They are united in their greed for Halflights crystals and the riches they can amass through their trade.

The stardust makes space travel within the system extremely difficult, and ship landings on Halflight are close to impossible. All transfer of persons and goods into orbit are handles with space elevators built from Halflight metal. And even these elevators are not risk free, prone to accidents and crashes.

The Wayne Consortium is a family company which resides off-system, exploiting the local worlds under purely economic principles. Everything is judged and valued by efficiency and profit, and individuals are just another factor in the equation.

Wayne Corp has been the first people in the system, so inhabitants are receiving only information through the corporate filters. The Waynes are aggressively defending their territory against enemies from the outside and from within. Recently especially the latter: In the last years, workers have been revolting. Depsite intensive detective work the Consortium has been unable to name the source of these revolutionary thought. Some are even suspecting family members to collaborate.

Trade through an iron curtain with checkpoints.
Once you are out, you are out forever.

Stats and Aspects:

Ars Technica

T3, E-1, R3
Per Aspera ad Astra
Ars Technica for the Benefit of all
You Name It, We Create It

Bobs Star
T2, E2, R0
Secrets of the Precursors
Treaty of Camp Alpha
The far End of the Cluster

Chimera
T-1, E0, R-1
Semi-Humans for every use
Caste Systems
Ravaged by War

Diocese of the Society of Light
T1, E-3, R-2
Religion is Truth
A lost Messiah
Testament to the Exodus

Serengeti
T2, E4, R1
Have a Kingdom, there are Plenty
Here be Dragons
It may look a success, but it was a failure

Avalon
T1, E2, R3
Welcome to AllMart, the interstellar trade center
The Paradise so Close yet Unreachable
Under the Protection of the Waynes

Glanzheim
T-1, E-3, R1
Riches and Death
Hope dies last
Last service station before the slipstream

Halblicht
T0, E-1, R2
Dust is Life
Life is Addiction
Everywhere it's better than here!

Nogorka
T-2, E-1, R3
Trespassers will be shot!
Who gave the Manifesto to the workers?
What blocks the Slipstreams to Chimera und Diocese?

oliof

Validated User
The First Wave Cluster was created by Kris, Max, Sarah, Axel, Christian, Onno, Stefan and me. It was a great experience in online collaboration.

Top Bottom