• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Diaspora] Star Trek Hack?

Kaleb7

Validated User
So anyone give some thought to hacking Diaspora for Star Trek? (Star Trek isn't exactly 'hard' sci-fi :)

Some really random thoughts over lunch:

-Shields. The concept of shields is incorporated into ‘frame’. As evidenced throughout the series, a ship without shields is typically destroyed very quickly. If for any reason a ship does NOT have its shields raised, effective frame is ⅓ (rounded down, minimum of one)

- Cloak. Ships may either have a Cloaking Device or EW, they may not have both. The first consequence that a cloaking ship MUST take on data track hits is ‘Cloaking Device Disabled’

Dont know how it would work though...

- Heat Track is the WarpDrive track, renamed but works the same.

- Beam Weapons: Phasers,Disrupters etc. Function as RAW.

-Torpedos: Photon/quantum torpedos. Function as RAW.

-Plasma Torpedos: Must be fired at 0 or 1 range band. Double the damage, may only fire every other round.

At the character level:

- Replace the Wealth track with the Career track... Replace assets skill with ?influence?... The 'economics' of Star Trek have always been vague at best.

So anyone else working on something similar/wildly different?

Last edited:

Dr. Axiom

Validated User
I have been messing with Diaspora Star Trek hack for a little bit. I think your ideas are spot on. Changing up some of the skill names. Space combat has just the right abstracted Star Trek feel.

I did change the name of EW to Science. Toyed with removing the Data track and just using Science as a catch-all maneuver skill. I did that because a ship devoted to Science just seemed a little too powerful in play-testing since it was taking out Klingon Birds-of-prey left and right. Just using it to place maneuvers felt a little bit better.

Regarding Shields, I did something similar. Frame track at -2 if shields are down.

With the Cloaking device, I ruled that any ship that was Cloaked could not fire weapons, but got to act first if de-cloaking during the Phaser or Torpedo phase. It also got a +2 during the Maneuver Phase. I also ruled that you had to factor range into any opposed Science rolls. I like your "first consequence has to be Cloaking device damaged" rule. :)

Renamed Heat to Emergency Power. I just love shouting that "Emergency Power is failing!" and "Emergency Power to the Engines!!"

I renamed the Trade rating to a Crew rating. It worked much the same way. Ships with large crews are better a keeping the ship running during a long voyage. You could also use it for a boarding party attack.

I included Command player skill in the game. Basically once per round you could roll your Command skill to replace a subordinates failed roll. But if the Command skill also failed, the Commanding officer had to take a Composure consequence.

Tahmoh

archietype of insanity
Validated User
Wouldnt Starblazer Adventures be a better fit for Star Trek? it seems alot more suited to the sort of stories the original show covered whilst being able to handle the other shows well enough with a few tweaks, i'd save Diaspora for harder scifi series than space opera and other soft scifi shows.

Kaleb7

Validated User
The trade -> crew idea is excellent :)

As to why I would use this instead of Starblazers?

Honestly for Trek I think the 'resource management' aspect of Diaspora's ship combat fits better (i.e. worrying about warp/emergency power to engines, or potentially to squeeze a bit more power out of those phasers.)

It also helps that I can toss the Diaspora book into my backpack without fear of a permanent spinal injury :)

Tahmoh

archietype of insanity
Validated User
Diaspora wont stop a bullet though :) and couldnt you just lift the bits of diaspora you like and bolt them on in place of the starblazers space combat bits? its pretty much seamless bar abit of fiddling to make the dice mechanics fit (though starblazers does list conversion info to switch the d6-d6 stuff for fudge dice).

Kaleb7

Validated User
Can it block a disruptor bolt though :)

I'll take a look at star blazer adventures this weekend as well, Ill admit I never dug too deeply into it unlike it's awesome sister volume Legends of Anglerre.

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Trade -> Crew is a stroke of genius as a tiny terminology and story change that completely changes the feel of the system. Well done. Now suddenly the whole game is about your crew if you have a ship, and not about keeping the ship in the black. From Firefly to Star Trek in one go.

The other changes are great also, but this is elegant.

avram

Validated User
The real challenge that trips me up when I think of using Fate to run Star Trek is phasers. Not the ship's phasers; I mean hand phasers. In a role-playing game, weapons are what you use to have fights, while on Star Trek, phasers (guns in general) are what you use to end or prevent fights. I don't think we ever see a human (or Vulcan, or Klingon -- I mean the human-scale characters in general, as opposed to hortas and space gods) get hit by a phaser blast and do anything else but either fall unconscious or die.

In Star Trek having a phaser pointed at you is more like a Compellible Aspect than it's like a thing that causes Stress.

Peteman

Validated User
The real challenge that trips me up when I think of using Fate to run Star Trek is phasers. Not the ship's phasers; I mean hand phasers. In a role-playing game, weapons are what you use to have fights, while on Star Trek, phasers (guns in general) are what you use to end or prevent fights. I don't think we ever see a human (or Vulcan, or Klingon -- I mean the human-scale characters in general, as opposed to hortas and space gods) get hit by a phaser blast and do anything else but either fall unconscious or die. .
That's not true. Some people (most prominently the Borg) had forcefields, while at least one woman managed to take a couple of phaser shots before Riker amped up the power to Vaporize (I think she had some kind of genetic modification).

Maybe you could include personal forcefields (though it would be a slight departure from established canon)

Last edited:

avram

Validated User
That's not true. Some people (most prominently the Borg) had forcefields, while at least one woman managed to take a couple of phaser shots before Riker amped up the power to Vaporize (I think she had some kind of genetic modification).
Well, I was thinking about The Old Show, because I'm old. (I suspect that a lot of how TOS phasers worked was due to the limitations of the show's visual effects technology.) But still, Borg with force fields aren't ordinary dudes.

Top Bottom