Discordance: Character Creation (Make a character and let me know how it goes)

GrendelForx

Validated User
I just did this myself. I like a lot of the ideas that you have here and will tell my thoughts on the other side of the character.

Jake AKA The Knifr
The Human Rogue Extraordinaire

What did your People Bring With Them?
Gods - Jake hails from the Pale Men of the Cities of Fog. These humans worshipped the Vampiric gods of Hathaine, a simple religion where you are either blood servants or the blood masters, the most successful of which become one of the Lords or Ladies of Blood.
Their Bodies, Eager and Vigor - Jake can fight bare handed as if wielding knives, the strange blood of his people and the magic of this new world mutating his hands into steel tough claws.
Cultures and Kingdoms - The Pale Men of the Cities of Fog have joined with the other humans in this new world, all escaping the yolks of ther former gods or paying homage to them despite their distance from them. The cities of Ebonstar, a kingdom carved into this new land, is the main hub and home of the humans.
Unheard of Magics - Jake has the blood magic of the Pale Men running through his veins and can use this power to perform blood magic spells.
Stories of Home - As with the rest of humanity, Jake's people fled the Old World on the heels of the coming Armageddon.

What are you capable of?
Flesh (2)
Treasures I Acquire, Dangers I Confront
Flame (1)
To rise above being a petty thief
Silk (1)
Scoundrels and Lowlifes
Ink (0)
Steel (3)
I am a child to the Guild of Shadows, I Shall Never Bow Down tot he Blood Gods again, I will always defend the lowest of people
Shadow (0)
I have been seduced by a princess of hell

How Do You Earn Your Keep?
Jake is a thief, a member of the Guild of Shadows and ekes out a meager earning by what he steals for the guild.

What You Carry
(2) Throwing knives hidden on Jake's Person - thrown weapons.
Gray Leathers worn on Jake's body
A silver blood ruby ring worn on Jake's hand (finger) - This ring is "blessed" by the Blood Gods from Jake's homeworld and can partially bypass an opponent's defenses when Jake raises the ring and the opponent sees it. This manifests as confusion and a bit of charming or clouding of the senses.
A rapier worn on Jake's belt - a fast weapon that can bypass slower defenses

What's Waiting for You?
A delightful distraction - Jake is always welcome in the Guild of Shadows and its secreted places throughout the human populance. These are various places that he does not own specifically but can find a place to lay his head, enjoy a warm bath, and whatever other enjoyment a particular Guild House offers.

I like how much open creativity this character creation offers. But I did take liberty to do one thing that might change the system slightly but also might benefit you with simplicity.
Instead of (choose three when you take a point of X) I made the number you choose of each equal to the number you assign to it. Using this, however, I would have 1 be the lowest instead of 0, this way you always have at least one. I would also seperate out Ink completely from the others (maybe explain it at the end) because its something that appears to build as you progress.
I would also suggest having a purely physical what you are capable of measurement. Secrets, Inner Strengths, Passions, all of these are kind of ethereal and there doesnt seem to be much physical stuff I can choose for my character. I'm not saying you have to have something purely for the fighting character but it would be nice to define my character as "Quicker than most" "Reflexes of a Cat" "Stronger than an Ox" "Tougher than a Mountain" or whatever. This could be a trait such as Wood perhaps? I don't know, just a thought on that one.

Color me intrigued though. I look forward to seeing more of your game development. Keep up the good work!

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
I would also suggest having a purely physical what you are capable of measurement. Secrets, Inner Strengths, Passions, all of these are kind of ethereal and there doesnt seem to be much physical stuff I can choose for my character. I'm not saying you have to have something purely for the fighting character but it would be nice to define my character as "Quicker than most" "Reflexes of a Cat" "Stronger than an Ox" "Tougher than a Mountain" or whatever. This could be a trait such as Wood perhaps? I don't know, just a thought on that one.

Color me intrigued though. I look forward to seeing more of your game development. Keep up the good work!
Obviously, this is not my game but I just want to push back against this suggestion. It's clear that the game is designed around who characters are and what they believe, and I think that anything like this would only dilute the core premise of the game.

GrendelForx

Validated User
And yet there are weapons in the game that seem to aid in mechanical ways? I might have misunderstood but it doesnt seem the game was meant to be full emotion with no physics involved. Now if your Steel or Flame is attributed to I am passionate about my connection to my sacred blade by example and I am a Paladin of the Sacrement and those can be used in conjunction with rolling when using your sword item then if this is appropriate it's the same thing I'm saying basically

johnthedm7000

Social Justice Witch
Validated User
Well, Flesh is typically what's used when it comes to stabbing or shooting since it's the Affinity that describes your character's physical vigor and strength. Shadow by contrast is used if you're say lunging out from an alleyway to knife someone, or slipping up behind a former infernal countess and wrapping a sanctified garrote around her neck. Or to put it in a more punchy manner:

Flesh is what you use if you're stabbing someone.
Shadow is what you use if you're stabbing someone from behind.
Silk is what you use if you're looking for someone to stab a guy for you.
Flame is what you use if you're on a soapbox preaching to an angry crowd saying "This ruffian deserves to be stabbed this instant!"
Ink is what you use if you're researching the best way to stab a particularly difficult ruffian.
Steel is when you've just stabbed someone and they're bleeding all over you and begging you not to leave them as darkness comes and you need to keep your cool.

Affinities aren't meant to be used as fluff for various types of actions like Fate Accelerated's Approaches. You can't stab someone with Flame because Charisma, Passion, and Creativity doesn't kill people. At least not directly. You can certainly invent a devilishly lethal contrivance (perhaps a springloaded bayonet, or a blunderbuss whose bullets are made of deeply-repressed rage) that can wreak a great deal of harm with Flame. You can set a fuse on a blackpowder bomb underneath an unstable cliff side to wipe out a rival expedition to the Living Island using Ink. But you can't stab someone with those.

I had considered tying the number of Beliefs, Passions, and what not that you get based on where you put the ratings in your character's affinities. The problem there is that the game as I see it is really grounded in realizing your character in a detailed and compelling way. Appetites, Secrets, Company, Passions, Beliefs, and (during play) Legacy are all about defining who your character is in interesting and evocative ways. Tying these directly to the numbers you allocate to the various affinities means that some characters will lack a lot of that definition because they start out with only 1 Secret or 1 Appetite and so we don't get to see that side of those characters. Likewise, it doubles down on character specialization: a character with a lot of Silk will have lots of Company, and be The Connected Character, whereas one with little Silk will have very little in the way of social power and very few ways to exercise it.

Or to put it more succinctly: the various geegaws in character creation drive at the point of the game, and they're also fun toys that I want everyone to be able to play with.

With all of that said, I love Jake the Knifer and will be including nods to the Cities of Fog (along with The Cob, the Glorious Cob) in the text as I keep writing. Keep the characters coming!

Top Bottom