• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Discussion/Spoilers] 2nd Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Possibly for subjective decades or more really.
I think there's a point where the 'HOMURA, THE ETERNAL WARRIOR' thing starts looking silly instead of epic. Each time loop is about a month and a half for her. If she's been at this for a decade of subjective time, we're talking about eighty loops. My take on episode 10 is that she quite possibly saw some loops that we didn't, but her actions also follow a progression that doesn't suggest she had too many retries between them. I can easily see 10-ish loops, but anything past 20 starts looking goofy to me.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Possibly for subjective decades or more really.
Assuming her loop is about six weeks long, I don't think she's been at it for much more than a year or two's worth of Homu-time. While the way she acts does make her seem more jaded and ground-down than I'd expect from just a handful of tries, she's also too sane for me to think she's been through more than a couple dozen (full-length ones, anyway).

By the same token, I think she's definitely made more attempts than just the ones shown onscreen. She had time to memorize all the answers to the in-class drills, build up a huge arsenal, remodel her apartment into a TARDIS, and have a sample size large enough to confidently predict where and when Walpurgis would manifest.

KreenWarrior

Legal Smeagol
Validated User
Doesn't she say she's seen countless magical girls die? It's not strong evidence since she was hard un-selling Madoka at the time, but it's there.

Ikselam

Validated User
When she's talking to Madoka on the bridge in episode 4, Madoka asks how many times she's seen other magical girls die, and she says something like, "I stopped counting." I don't remember the exact wording of either the Japanese or various English versions.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
The manga indicate more timelines than the 5 we saw.

The fact that, as the current viewers have noted, she seems to suck at communication and doesn't explain anything. Ep 10 suggests this is because she started out being as communicative as possible, and got burned by failure. But I think it would take repeated failure for her to burn out enough to stay silent throughout this timeline. 10? 80? I dunno.

Of course, some of us may be primed by Higurashi, where oh my god, try 100 years subjective, in I think a two week cycle...

(Or Endless Eight, but the only one who remembered those was inhuman to begin with.)

Do Deca Hedron

Nice day for a wedding
Validated User
When she's talking to Madoka on the bridge in episode 4, Madoka asks how many times she's seen other magical girls die, and she says something like, "I stopped counting." I don't remember the exact wording of either the Japanese or various English versions.
Homura is also nearly more dishonest than Kyuubey at this point though. I have trouble believing that she went through more than a year of continual and constant failure without going insane or despairing enough to just witch out.

Ikselam

Validated User
(Or Endless Eight, but the only one who remembered those was inhuman to begin with.)
Given the apparent impact of Endless Eight on Haruhi fans' sanity, I'd consider it strong circumstantial evidence for "Homura hasn't done that many loops." ;)

The fact that, as the current viewers have noted, she seems to suck at communication and doesn't explain anything. Ep 10 suggests this is because she started out being as communicative as possible, and got burned by failure. But I think it would take repeated failure for her to burn out enough to stay silent throughout this timeline.
Spoiler: Show

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
Yeah, pretty amusing how people didn't think that a time traveling Homura could just be her own character, but had to be another one from the future. Because those are the only time travelers possible. I find the way it happened much nicer.
I think it's because the most common type of time travel seen is bodily transference. Think of Doctor Who, Back to the Future, and countless more. If Homura has looped back from the future then there should be multiple versions of her present in the same time period. The principles of narrative conservation mean those other versions must have been introduced somehow, and since we haven't met pre-loop Homura she has to be the transformed version of someone else.

Instead she's using a mental transference form of time travel that rewinds herself to a previous point. It's a far less commonly used technique, enough so that Groundhog Day has become shorthand for the entire setup. Audiences aren't trained to expect it the same way, and the writers were very good about not tipping their hand too obviously, so it caught a lot of people by surprise.

Top Bottom