• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Discussion/Spoilers] 2nd Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
Even though I'm pretty sure things are headed nowhere good for her, since she seems a bit too perfect, I can't help but drink the kool-aid and root for this being a show about Mami kicking ass with gigantic guns and sipping coffee on the corpses of witches.

Also I wonder what'd happen if someone's wish was that all witches were eradicated forever? Would they be freed from their duty? Would a Soul Gem still be created? And what would happen to it without Grief Seeds to recharge it? It could actually be a pretty good barometer for Squirrel Satan's intentions. Is his primary concern enlisting magical girls to fight witches, or is it the selling of souls that he cares about, with the whole magical girl thing being secondary?
He's pretty observant. Let's see if he figures out Homura.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
He's pretty observant. Let's see if he figures out Homura.
I figure Homoru more or less by episode five, I think.
I mentioned the suspisions in my thread, and the thing I got work was think it Madoka's wish that send her back in time.
So I don;t think that's really hard.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Since this was relinked in the newest WIW, and my thread seemed to sink for lack of people who had seen it... anyone here seen Rebellion, yet? It's had a number of US theatrical releases, plus there'a a few camrips out there on the Internet, and it ought to be on a proper DVD/BluRay release in April and I waaaaaaaaaannnnnaaa talk about it!

Let's just say the above speculation on the third movie is really amusing, after seeing it.

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
Yeah... Rebellion. WTF OMG BBQ?!?~?~?

I loved it, but oh my god that ending. THEY CAN NOT LEAVE IT AT THAT.

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
Yeah... Rebellion. WTF OMG BBQ?!?~?~?

I loved it, but oh my god that ending. THEY CAN NOT LEAVE IT AT THAT.
SO much this.

Leaving that aside I can't wait for a proper release so I can watch the wonderfully stylised transformations on repeat in the quality they deserve.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Since this was relinked in the newest WIW, and my thread seemed to sink for lack of people who had seen it... anyone here seen Rebellion, yet?
I saw it when it came to the Brattle back in January (I think it was January). Big crowd of mostly college kids, but with more older people than I'd expected mixed in; pretty good time except that I found myself seated behind a tall guy who was himself seated behind an even taller guy with very erect posture, so spent way too much time craning my neck from side to side trying to glimpse subtitles.

It was pretty good, would have preferred it end with Madoka taking Homu to heaven but I can't say the cynical Act III twist came out of nowhere. Sayaka was pretty cool; if there's a second TV series I want her to be the main character.

The whole first section did the atmosphere of creeping surreal paranoia very well. The transformations were delightfully skewed and reminded me of nothing so much as the blackout-drunk Pink Elephants On Parade nightmare in Dumbo.

Last edited:

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Alright, since it isn't actually out official-like and all, this will be in a spoiler block.

Spoiler: Show
I found the movie to be the 'completion you didn't know you needed'. Everything was quite consistent with what was laid out, and I found Homura's actions quite logical given what we know of her character. After all, she's the one who told the Incubators of the witch system. When mortal!Madoka in the false city-barrier talks about how she couldn't sacrifice herself, Homura is convinced that Madoka didn't become a law of nature out of her own will - she could bear it so long as it was Madoka's free choice. If Madoka did it merely because she felt pressured, to, though...

At the same time, it's the exact inverse of Madoka's choice. Ultimate Madoka allowed Sayaka to contract and pass away because she knew it was what Sayaka chose to do. Homura's drawn the whole universe into her barrier, exploring a new state of being - a magical girl broken by love instead of grief - and forced everyone into tracks that are, superficially at least, 'happy'. Despite her mocking actions - wasted food for Kyoko, a broken tea cup for Mami - all of her old friends get to live peaceful lives, she took all the responsibility for her own.

If the original story was a take on Faust, I guess you could say this is an interesting take on Paradise Lost, and one that preserves the sympathic aspects of the 'villain'. I mean, no universe that ends with Kyubey laying broken and quivering can be all bad, can it?

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I guess you could say this is an interesting take on Paradise Lost
I keep on seeing people make this comparison, but it's nothing like what I remember of Paradise Lost from when I read it (admittedly, more than ten years ago). I think the Jesus Christ Superstar comparison is a much better fit.

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
Really I think the best thing about the film is Sayaka. She gets put through the wringer good and proper in the series so to see her intelligently kicking arse is great.

q_3

Ge.
Validated User
It was pretty good, would have preferred it end with Madoka taking Homu to heaven but I can't say the cynical Act III twist came out of nowhere.
One of the scenes in the series that most impressed me was at the end of episode four when Sayaka reveals that she's become a magical girl. In nearly any other series, even the darker ones, that would be a moment of triumph; in Madoka it's almost disturbing, more like the scene in a vampire story where one of the newly undead talks about how they've never felt better while their friends can only look on in horror.

So what's stuck with me most about Rebellion is that it managed to give me that same feeling during a scene that half a year ago I, too, was very much looking forward to. Virtually the entire fandom assumed that was the ending Homura wanted - even the characters assumed that, indeed, both Kyubey's and Madoka's plans explicitly depended on it - but the movie made a very persuasive case for why we were all wrong.

Top Bottom