• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Discussion/Spoilers] Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormfalcon

Just slumming
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think there's a qualitative difference here. Sometimes, you get a period for a particular genre where the term "deconstruction" isn't very meaningful anymore, because everything is trying to subvert what came immediately before. The deconstruction/reconstruction cycle itself becomes the object of fad, everybody's scrambling to be more avant-garde than everybody else, and ultimately nobody can find their footing because they're too busy incestuously deconstructing each other to pay any attention to the status quo. In anime, it happened with the mecha genre*, and I half-suspect that the magical girl genre is going to go that route next.

* [size=-2]And how; some of the mecha show premises that evolved from the need to subvert last year's subversion of the year before's third-generation NGE pastiche** are downright deranged.[/size]

** [size=-2]Now with 50% more metafictional awareness than the leading brand![/size]
I think that, in the case of Madoka, deconstruction would be a good way to put it. Yes, Sailor Moon did change things for the magical girl genre nearly twenty years ago. And yes, there were other series soon after that tried to outdo it, to varying degrees of success. However, nearly two decades have passed and what Sailor Moon and some of the shows have folowed have done back then has become status quo. Madoka's pretty much the first really big shakeup since those days and I think that it'll kick off the new cycle of deconstruction for the genre.

(Yes, I know there's Nanoha before it, but I don't think it really shook things to the core like Madoka has done...ramped up the power level, sure, but it hasn't really shook things up like this)

Oh, on the lighter side, a friend of mine ran across this. :D

nargun

Banned
(Yes, I know there's Nanoha before it, but I don't think it really shook things to the core like Madoka has done...ramped up the power level, sure, but it hasn't really shook things up like this)
Madoka and Nanoha are fundamentally very different works, though. Like Gunbuster and EVA, I guess.

... Or EVA and Zeta gundam and so forth. EVA's a response to a specific "let's take it seriously" strain in super-robot shows that are about as serious as a clown convention... which isn't to say that I don't like Zeta Gundam. But its claims to being realistic drama are shall-we-say-it overstated?

[for some reason I feel the need to comment about how, while Aria and YKK are often compared, beyond their pacing I couldn't think of any works that are more different than the sparse and austere, almost oppressively isolated, YKK and the human-centred socially-focussed Aria.]

Ambrogino

Fallen Angle
Validated User
I think the soundtrack of hers that most resembles that particular track is Madlax, but I admit I haven't heard all of them.
I've felt through the series that her score reminds me most of her work on My Hime, at least the wistful and melancholy parts of that show.

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
I think that, in the case of Madoka, deconstruction would be a good way to put it. Yes, Sailor Moon did change things for the magical girl genre nearly twenty years ago. And yes, there were other series soon after that tried to outdo it, to varying degrees of success. However, nearly two decades have passed and what Sailor Moon and some of the shows have folowed have done back then has become status quo. Madoka's pretty much the first really big shakeup since those days and I think that it'll kick off the new cycle of deconstruction for the genre.

Oh, on the lighter side, a friend of mine ran across this. :D
Yeah, nanoha is a side step from the Magical Girl genre, not a deconstruction.

Ratoslov

Exploding Murderer
Validated User
Yeah, nanoha is a side step from the Magical Girl genre, not a deconstruction.
Nanoha's ripe for deconstruction too; what kind of sick society depends on 12 and 15 year old girls lead by a few 19 year old hard-bitten veterans? What kind of hero is someone who can only get others to change their mind through violence? Shit, we're looking at Magical Girl Cambodia here.

Chaotic Confused

Validated User
Yuki Kajiura's work is pretty sui generis. She -- and the various projects she works with, like FictionJunction and Kalafina -- have done soundtracks for a number of anime and game series. I'm particularly fond of her soundtracks to the Kara no Kyoukai movies, which are based on a novel by the creator of Fate/stay night.
Thanks very much. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom