• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney all-in on Star Wars a mistake?

wilsch

Validated User
But the overwhelming majority of people don't engage with that stuff. I think their strategy is to have all that stuff available for people who want to seek it out, and anyone else probably doesn't care about the details, but the explanation for why what appears to be Rebels are still fighting a guerrilla war against what appears to be the Empire when we supposedly won the war in the last trilogy isn't exactly a "detail."
A strength of Star Wars is that it's this timeless universe that speaks to cycles and constants. Also a weakness, of course, hence the need for outside inspiration, as wherever you go across the ages, so much is the same. (Kudos to Lucas for pursuing a golden age aesthetic in the Prequels, even if his action and drama were derivative from having written inside the genre.)

So I'd say most moviegoers, especially those with no exposure to the EU let alone Zahn's statement of fragile victory, approached Disney's saga pickup casually. "Oh, okay, the Empire or something like it is up to no good again. Or maybe the Ewok thing wasn't the end, exactly. I get it. Ooh, lightsaber!"

But like you note, contemplation and trivia's available to people who are interested. I myself prefer Hidalgo's fun-fact style, as it adds depth outward ("[Falthena Sharest's l]ipstick shade deliberately flouts Imperial regulations") rather than trying to invest every character with galactic significance. That helps a bit to give Disney running room.

Tambourine

Spirit Princess
Validated User
IIRC, the backstory given in the novels was that Kylo and Leia were ostracized once it got out that Leia was really Vader's daughter (because, guess what, most folks hated Vader and weren't willing to forgive him for all the stuff he did just because he killed Palpatine!) and Kylo started to wonder about his Grandfather and what kind of man he was. Being ostracized at such a young age (this was when he was a little kid) and having a poor relationship with Han gave him dark feelings that let him start tapping into the Darkside to begin with.
It would have been really interesting of any of this had made it into the movies. On the other hand that would probably detract from the transmedia universe aspect of it all.

Brawndo

Murder Time Fun Time!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
IIRC, the backstory given in the novels was that Kylo and Leia were ostracized once it got out that Leia was really Vader's daughter (because, guess what, most folks hated Vader and weren't willing to forgive him for all the stuff he did just because he killed Palpatine!) and Kylo started to wonder about his Grandfather and what kind of man he was. Being ostracized at such a young age (this was when he was a little kid) and having a poor relationship with Han gave him dark feelings that let him start tapping into the Darkside to begin with.
I don't think he was a little kid, officially the novel where Leia was outed as Vader's daughter took place "several years" before The Force Awakens, and Ben had been away training with Luke for some time. It definitely drove a wedge between him and Leia, because she hadn't ever told him the truth, and he found out when the rest of the galaxy did.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
IIRC, the backstory given in the novels was that Kylo and Leia were ostracized once it got out that Leia was really Vader's daughter (because, guess what, most folks hated Vader and weren't willing to forgive him for all the stuff he did just because he killed Palpatine!)
I'd be very surprised if Leia ever forgave Vader. Made peace with the truth, sure, but forgave? That's a tall order.

It definitely drove a wedge between him and Leia, because she hadn't ever told him the truth, and he found out when the rest of the galaxy did.
Ouch. That's rough.

Hunter

Validated User
A point in favor of "Disney going all in on Star Wars a mistake"...

Disneyland didn’t just feel emptier than usual this summer. It was.

During a recent earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger commented on the drop in park attendance and the impact of Galaxy’s Edge, Yahoo Finance reports. Based on his comments, several factors played a role in fewer people visiting the park than expected.

According to Disney, attendance at the company’s domestic parks was down 3 percent in the third quarter, although “per capita spending” was up 10 percent and occupancy at on-site hotels rose two percentage points.

According to him, expectations of overcrowding likely caused guests to reconsider their vacations. Iger claimed, “Some people stayed away just because they expected that it would not be a great guest experience.” Another factor, he theorized, was the increase in cost associated with visiting Disneyland.

Since local hotels expected a “huge influx” of visitors, many of them raised their prices in response. “So, it simply got more expensive to come stay in Anaheim,” he said. “In addition to that, we raised our prices, we brought our daily price up, so if you think about local visitation we brought the price of a one-day ticket up substantially from a year ago.”

He also mentioned that Galaxy’s Edge opened with only one ride, with another ride set to open next year.
Interesting that he suggests it was jacking up the price of tickets that contributed to the decline in attendance. Anecdote not data and all, but I've talked to a lot of people who said that the main reason they got put off from going to Disney parks was that it was just too expensive.

Dave999

Validated User
I think Disney is overly cautious with Star Wars and overly committed to huge epic events. They want every movie to be Star Wars.

They should want most movies to be Captain America and Iron man but also the occassional Ant Man.

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Interesting that he suggests it was jacking up the price of tickets that contributed to the decline in attendance. Anecdote not data and all, but I've talked to a lot of people who said that the main reason they got put off from going to Disney parks was that it was just too expensive.
The dramatic price increases were a big reason why my wife and I let our passes lapse.

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Out of curiosity, how much did prices go up?
Annual passes went up almost 10% this year, and parking went from $20 to $25. Sidenote: it cost $43 to get into Disneyland in 2000? WTF! But prices also were raised a fair amount in 2018, 2017 (I think this is when we let our passes lapse), 2016 (couldn't find a link), 2015, etc. And it's the same old park, aside from Galaxy's Edge. It's ridiculous. That it's happening while the movie studio is dominating the box office year after year with multiple billion dollar films is just an insult (yes, separate entities, blah blah blah).

Last edited:

Tambourine

Spirit Princess
Validated User
I think Disney is overly cautious with Star Wars and overly committed to huge epic events. They want every movie to be Star Wars.
I mean, that's probably one reason why they bought the franchise in the first place.

(Well, that, and the fact that Disney seemingly only sustains itself by appropriating other people's creative ideas)

Top Bottom