• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney all-in on Star Wars a mistake?

TrojanRat

Agent of S.N.A.R.K.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As someone that has gone to GE in 80+ degree temperature, 80%+ Humidity, can I jut say I wish they had chosen Hoth as the location over Batuu.

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
It’s the most immersive land Disney has ever created. Period. The land even comes complete with its own language and it’s own unique storyline. I get it’s not Tattooine or Cloud City or Naboo. But OTOH, I get why it’s not. Star Wars as a franchise has so many iconic locations how do you decide which one to highlight? If it were Tattooine then someone would complain it wasn’t Naboo or Dagobah or Jeddah or Cloud City or Corousant. GE is not it’s own theme park. It’s merely an expansion land it’s an already existing park. And by making GE its own place, with its own unique history the guests have the opportunity to live their own unique stories, which BTW is one of the big highlights of the Star Wars hotel once its opens.
How much of that story is apparent just walking around though? There's a whole backstory to Pandora, but if you don't know to look for it, it's totally lost on you.

And honestly, outside of the rides, what unique stories are there to tell in GE? "Hey, remember the time I only had thirty minutes or so to enjoy my $20 cocktail?"

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars and I want this to be great. I'm just underwhelmed by what I've seen so far.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Meh. I love the MCU. But I’d buy an annual pass to support Disney Wakanda. Black people across this country would organize church bus trips to visit DCA Wakanda. Plus it would drive certain segments of the fandom INSANE!!

A missed opportunity...
Disney Wakanda would be a very distinctive, interesting setting. However, it wouldn't get you the distinctive locations you would get with Disney Marvel Manhattan, like the Bar With No Name, the Bar With No Doors, the Sanctum Sanctorum, etc.

Dave999

Validated User
The Avatar set has a weird backstory that tries desperately to reconcile the Na'vi's coding as indigenous people with the attraction's function as a, y'know, theme park. It kinda hints that the Na'Vi are reduced to selling their culture to tourists. It's almost subversive.

That's kind of why they couldn't make Mos Eisley either. Mos Eisley is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. That's exactly the opposite of what Walt wanted to make with Disneyland. If you're not in danger of being stabbed by a Jawa, it's not really Mos Eisley. And if you are, then it's not Disneyland.
Jenny Nicholson's review of Avatarland is an hour of complete adorability.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Jenny Nicholson's review of Avatarland is an hour of complete adorability.

Second this! Even if you have no interest in Pandora, or reviews of Disneyland- this video is amazeballs. As is everything Jenny Nicholson does. Here’s her getting a giant stuffed Porg. This video will the save the souls of the unrighteous. And I don’t even like Porgs.

How much of that story is apparent just walking around though?
From the reviews and video I’ve seen- a whole lot. Stormtroopers hassle you. Kylo Ren stalks through the park. Occasionally Rey and Chewie run by chased by troopers. Doc Ondar conducts business while you shop. Hondo’s smuggling stuff. Cast members will congratulate or commiserate you based on how you do in the Falcon ride. You need a “secret” password to get into the build a lightsaber thing. There’s a Resistance base on the outskirts of town. There’s tons of games and things to do if you have a cell phone, helping the First Order or the Resistance gain control of the outpost.

It looks incredible. Even if only half of it works as advertised, it’s still beyond anything I’ve ever seen a park attempt, let alone do.

Last edited:

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
Honestly, she brought up something interesting on the Twitter: basically that GE should have a floor show/live action type attraction. And I’m in full agreement. Like, imagine if a few times a day they did a shoot-out type Wild West show. Or if not a full stunt-show, at least something like how Tombstone does a recreation of the OK Coral.

Hunter

Validated User
You can still find people completely invested in Captain Marvel being an utter failure Disney has managed to cover up.
They had a good practice run for that from the "THE LAST JEDI was in reality a catastrophic flop" bullshit.

And all this is based on an attraction that isn't even open at one of the parks yet.
It will be interesting to see how well the Florida park does with GALAXY'S EDGE. They have the advantage of seeing the mistakes the California park made, so they can potentially do things differently. Also, WDW has a *lot* of value added stuff that has just debuted besides GALAXY'S EDGE - Toy Story Land, the Skyliners, newly refurbed hotels, Pandora over in the Magic Kingdom...

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They had a good practice run for that from the "THE LAST JEDI was in reality a catastrophic flop" bullshit.
There's also the "The Media covered up black people beating up white people after seeing Black Panther" crowd.

Top Bottom