• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney all-in on Star Wars a mistake?

TrojanRat

Agent of S.N.A.R.K.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Honestly, she brought up something interesting on the Twitter: basically that GE should have a floor show/live action type attraction. And I’m in full agreement. Like, imagine if a few times a day they did a shoot-out type Wild West show. Or if not a full stunt-show, at least something like how Tombstone does a recreation of the OK Coral.
I mean, there’s this:

But in four trips since GE has been open to the public. I’ve yet to see it happen in person. I thought for sure one time it was going to happen. Troopers were on the raised platform, Vi was sneaking around down below in the speeder garage. But it just turned into hide and go seek.

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
I’ll watch tonight after work, but I think that’s kind of a thing. I’d want a show that I can count on, even if it’s a bit different each time. Not a lead-up to a show with no real pay-off.

TrojanRat

Agent of S.N.A.R.K.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I will agree with that. They want Batuu to feel like a real, living breathing place, where costumed character events occur randomly. Okay, I guess. But if things are random to the point of not occurring at all, what’s the point?

Dave999

Validated User
They should have made it Mos Elpa and said, "We're like Mos Eisley but safe!"

Luke's Landspeeder is for sale at a car lot.
The Mos Elpa cantina
The Milllennium Falcon is parked and Han will come back and pick it up at any time.
Bantha Burgers and Dewback Ribs
A big Sandcrawler giftshop.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
I will agree with that. They want Batuu to feel like a real, living breathing place, where costumed character events occur randomly. Okay, I guess. But if things are random to the point of not occurring at all, what’s the point?
If they treat it like character appearances, the Disney app you can download tells you when and where characters will be appearing.

TrojanRat

Agent of S.N.A.R.K.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If they treat it like character appearances, the Disney app you can download tells you when and where characters will be appearing.
That works for standard characters. When Mickey and friends are on Main Street, they usually are in that little cul de sac near the train station. They each have their own little are there, where a line is formed, and you wait until it’s your turn to get a photopass picture taken. They don’t wander.
Saturday, I followed Chewie from the X-wing in the resistance area, all the way down to the overlook near the Falcon. Along the way he would stop for selfies and hugs with random park goers that would approach. And a few that he approached himself (Chewie feels a kinship with dudes rocking rather impressive beards it seems).
But as far as I can tell the app shows no events, entertainment, or anything that I would possibly include pyro effects like the previously posted video in GE. Now, maybe they’re all done for the day. I kind of doubt it with about 5 and 1/2 hours left before park closing today. But, from what I’m seeing right now, the app shows nothing to watch in GE. Lots to do, buy, eat. But nothing is scheduled to watch.

Siphonaptera

up to no good
Validated User
On a related note, I think Disney’s gonna have a similar issue with Its Marvel Land expansion. Do they play it safe and make it be boring ol’ NYC OR do they do the make the correct choice and make it Wakanda?
They could go with Vormir and allow siblings to sacrifice each other for a Soulstone.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
I want Avengers Mountain

It's a dead Celestial in the Arctic that serves as the current base for the Avengers in the comics. It's (he's?) incredibly big, and could hold all manner of rides and attractions. It matches the Matterhorn/Space/Big Thunder/Splash/Grizzly Peak leitmotif.

It's a big Kirby Space God, who doesn't want to get all up in that?

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
They could go with Vormir and allow siblings to sacrifice each other for a Soulstone.
The Guardians drop ride bounces you up and down, but a Vormir drop ride could be just one massive drop.

I'm kind of wondering how immersive Marvel Land is going to be. I'm curious what the cast members are supposed to say when a kid approaches them and asks why they're here, when in the movies they're in space or dead or something. Because Disney does have rules for what cast members are supposed to say when kids ask why they don't look like they do in the movies (they're the real person, and the character in the movie is just an actor playing them).

In Galaxy's Edge, it sounds like they only have characters from the new trilogy and the recent shows, not original trilogy characters, which at least sidesteps some of the "why are you here when you're dead?" questions you might get with some of the older characters. Will Marvel Land just leave out the very popular but no longer active in the MCU characters?

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
I would be amazed if Marvel-land isn’t in the form of a Wakandan Outreach Center. I mean... it’s perfect. Hell, it’s even kinda in-theme for DisneyWorld, what with the national pavilions in Epcot.

Top Bottom