• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney all-in on Star Wars a mistake?

Gorgoo

Validated User
I'm kind of wondering how immersive Marvel Land is going to be. I'm curious what the cast members are supposed to say when a kid approaches them and asks why they're here, when in the movies they're in space or dead or something. Because Disney does have rules for what cast members are supposed to say when kids ask why they don't look like they do in the movies (they're the real person, and the character in the movie is just an actor playing them).

In Galaxy's Edge, it sounds like they only have characters from the new trilogy and the recent shows, not original trilogy characters, which at least sidesteps some of the "why are you here when you're dead?" questions you might get with some of the older characters. Will Marvel Land just leave out the very popular but no longer active in the MCU characters?
Disney does have Marvel-themed cruise days, and from videos I’ve seen, the characters stay in-character for those. Though I’m not sure what they’re trained to say if you ask about them being dead or no longer active.

If I were making the decision, I’d fall back on the tried-and-true comic trope of alternate dimensions and timelines.

“No, see, that movie shows what could have happened in a different timeline. I’m still around to help out here.”

But I don’t know. Maybe, depending on the kid’s age, that could be a difficult concept to explain? The version you mentioned, that the movie just has actors playing these superheroes, probably works just as well for Marvel as it does other Disney properties, so maybe they stick with that?

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Disney does have Marvel-themed cruise days, and from videos I’ve seen, the characters stay in-character for those. Though I’m not sure what they’re trained to say if you ask about them being dead or no longer active.
Well, up until Endgame it wasn't really an issue.

Gorgoo

Validated User
Well, up until Endgame it wasn't really an issue.
Still, I imagine they’ve continued the cruises.

Even before then, I’m pretty sure Loki is a regular, and there were times when he was imprisoned or missing in the movies... though I guess if there’s any character with a ready-made excuse for unexpected appearances, it’s Loki. 🙂

SuperG

Validated User
Still, I imagine they’ve continued the cruises.

Even before then, I’m pretty sure Loki is a regular, and there were times when he was imprisoned or missing in the movies... though I guess if there’s any character with a ready-made excuse for unexpected appearances, it’s Loki. 🙂
Yeah. "I'm fine. That was just an illusion. Shh. Don't tell Thor." should cover it regardless of situation with him.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
I would be amazed if Marvel-land isn’t in the form of a Wakandan Outreach Center. I mean... it’s perfect. Hell, it’s even kinda in-theme for DisneyWorld, what with the national pavilions in Epcot.
Based on the article I linked earlier, prepare to be amazed.

That said, I do think having the merch store be modeled as a Wakandan outreach center is probably a better idea than what they are doing.

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A Wakanda Pavilion as part of EPCOT would be awesome.

Dave999

Validated User
Star Wars: Resistance has been cancelled, FYI.

Just as they showed the trailer for Season 2.

mac40k

Validated User
Although not cited as the cause, after the lackluster reception of GoT, it looks like D&D will only actually do the 1st of their planned trilogy of SW films. Disney seems to be spinning it that that is all they signed up for from the get go.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Although not cited as the cause, after the lackluster reception of GoT, it looks like D&D will only actually do the 1st of their planned trilogy of SW films. Disney seems to be spinning it that that is all they signed up for from the get go.
They also just inked a $250 million production deal with Netflix, which would make committing 3-5 years to focus only on Star Wars impossible

Top Bottom