• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney Cancels Original Films, Orders More Reboots from Fox

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
So reading between the lines of this Variety article, Disneys strategy for turning around the Fox movie studio is going to be to cancel projects based on new properties like Lumberjanes or original scripts, and order remakes of classic Fox properties.

And that is more than a little depressing. I'm not a knee jerk "all remakes are bad" person, but I am wary of a cultural stagnation where the capitalist imperatives bend towards eternally retreading the same dramatic ground.

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
That sounds about as expected after what went down with the Mouse Guard movie.

But the X-mans are back with Marvel![/sarcasm]

edit: also, Stuber was a flop?!? I mean I *guess* because it was at my local theatre for literally two weeks. I didn’t get the time to see it. >.<

Last edited:

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
No “Lumberjanes”?

Aww... ó_ò
Hopefully whatever deal was in place will let them shop it around to another studio. It may not fit with Disney’s apparent “we don’t really want to work with IP we don’t fully control” strategy, but it has a lot going for it.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hopefully whatever deal was in place will let them shop it around to another studio. It may not fit with Disney’s apparent “we don’t really want to work with IP we don’t fully control” strategy, but it has a lot going for it.
I could see it as something like the way they adapted “Coraline.” Or live-action. I would soooo love to see it.

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
If Mouse Guard is anything to go by, seems like Disney’s gonna squat on those licenses for the time being.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
If this is true, Disney’s run on top may be shorter than I expected. I would have thought they were smart enough to maintain diversity across their output (to “compete” with themselves) but maybe not.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
If this is true, Disney’s run on top may be shorter than I expected. I would have thought they were smart enough to maintain diversity across their output (to “compete” with themselves) but maybe not.
Who is going to topple them at this point? They have a near-monopoly on modern blockbusters, and their strategy of going all-in on tentpoles built around established IP has them on track for yet another year of record breaking profits. The more likely outcome is not that some other studio knocks Disney off their perch with a slate of original movies Disney wouldn't make, but that Disney maintains their dominance as original films become rarer and rarer in theaters. If/when Disney starts to lose their grip on the box office, I expect it will be less because another studio started to eat their lunch, and more because the movie theater industry finally experiences the collapse its been teetering on the edge of for a while now (and of course Disney is already hedging aggressively on that by using their current box office success to funnel people toward Disney+).

If you look at the box office this year, nearly every major release not from Disney has underperformed and many have outright bombed. The one true blockbuster not owned by Disney is Spider-man Far From Home, which is pretty much made by Disney and which still made them money and played into their overall brand-building strategy. There have been a few other movies which have made money, e.g. John Wick 3 and Us, but typically at a vastly lower scale than Disney is concerned with. But would-be launching points for blockbuster franchises meant to rival Disney like Detective Pikachu or Godzilla King of the Monsters have all struggled to even make their money back let alone threaten Disney's dominance. Looking at the state of the box office and how all these non-Disney movies keep flopping, why wouldn't Disney just substantially reduce the overall number of films being made and focus on proven brands that can make lots of money for them, while using lesser known IPs and unproven original content as fodder for their streaming services?

I get why fans of, say, Cyclops are looking forward to getting a non-Wolverine-centric take on the X-Men, but that's a fairly myopic view of an industry trend that is in the longterm likely to be bad for everyone who isn't a Disney shareholder.

Moira Monday

Legally a girl
Validated User
I wonder how much of this is about a re-make only strategy and how much is just the result of a post-merger executive shakeup? "Cancel everything approved by the guy I replaced" is unfortunately a pretty old tradition in the movie and television world.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Disney will eventually strangle the blockbuster industry to death. It will burn its own fingers too, but by that point, everyone else will be a smouldering corpse.

Top Bottom