• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney Cancels Original Films, Orders More Reboots from Fox

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Yeah, in a world where someone saw the abstract for "Frankenstein's Monster's Monster, Frankenstein," and said, "Yes, we will pay for that," we have a real embarrassment of entertainment.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Yeah, in a world where someone saw the abstract for "Frankenstein's Monster's Monster, Frankenstein," and said, "Yes, we will pay for that," we have a real embarrassment of entertainment.
:) I know it makes me part of the problem, but... is that real? Cause that sounds interesting.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
:) I know it makes me part of the problem, but... is that real? Cause that sounds interesting.
Oh. OH. It is. It's a mockumentary of David Harbour exploring the legacy of his father, David Harbour II, and the sad, Orson Wellesian end of his acting career. It's 28 minutes long, on Netflix and fabulous.

Siphonaptera

up to no good
Validated User
Oh. OH. It is. It's a mockumentary of David Harbour exploring the legacy of his father, David Harbour II, and the sad, Orson Wellesian end of his acting career. It's 28 minutes long, on Netflix and fabulous.
Yes, yes it was.

Spoiler: Show
The way people used the spiral staircase was hilarious. The female lead was so cautious and the mother being dragged back up while screaming and reaching through had me in stitches.

starblade

Fighter Mage
Validated User
I think some of this is disney's output. I mean disney is already almost competing with themselves some weeks. So adding Fox they have to cut output someway.

jimthegray

Validated User
That sounds about as expected after what went down with the Mouse Guard movie.

But the X-mans are back with Marvel![/sarcasm]

edit: also, Stuber was a flop?!? I mean I *guess* because it was at my local theatre for literally two weeks. I didn’t get the time to see it. >.<
I rather liked stuber. But saw very little marketing for it

Hunter

Validated User
I wonder how much of this is about a re-make only strategy and how much is just the result of a post-merger executive shakeup? "Cancel everything approved by the guy I replaced" is unfortunately a pretty old tradition in the movie and television world.
Not to mention, "Concentrate our efforts on sure fire moneymakers" is a well-trodden path towards getting a studio back on sound financial footing.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Not to mention, "Concentrate our efforts on sure fire moneymakers" is a well-trodden path towards getting a studio back on sound financial footing.
Yeah. It looks like several Fox movies underperformed (in some cases drastically) in quick succession. How much of that falls at Disney's feet for not promoting the films well enough will be debated, but even among outlets I generally think are okay for reviewing movies, the reviews on Dark Phoenix and Stuber were mixed. According to Variety, executives from other studios think Disney has "torched" at least $50 million worth of development of different pictures ... but Fox had a $170 million write-down and finished with the lowest U.S. market share of any of its rivals, right after Disney acquired it, so blowing up $50 million more to stop the bleeding might have been a good call, even though it means some projects I really wanted to see (like Lumberjanes) won't be happening.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
Saw a rumor today that Disney might be doing a major reboot of the Alien franchise.

Intrigued but wary. Trying to retell the first movie is a losing proposition, nothing can have that same punch. Ripley’s story has been told. There are others to tell. Tell one of those.

Hell, do Alien: Isolation.

-Thornhammer

Top Bottom