• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Disney Cancels Original Films, Orders More Reboots from Fox

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
Saw a rumor today that Disney might be doing a major reboot of the Alien franchise.

Intrigued but wary. Trying to retell the first movie is a losing proposition, nothing can have that same punch. Ripley’s story has been told. There are others to tell. Tell one of those.
If they were going to do it, I think just take a page from the other horror movie reboots/resets. Make a new Alien that takes place after Alien 2, get Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn back as Ripley and Hicks, and recast Newt since the actress never did another film after Aliens. (Rosamund Pike is about the right age if I had my choice.)

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
edit: also, Stuber was a flop?
No. It's still in theaters, and will break even on its production budget this week. The marketing and advertising was pretty light, so it'll probably make that back too before the theatrical run ends. Turning a noticeable profit will probably have to wait for On Demand and media releases, though.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
We could! (I'd forgotten he was going to do that at one point.)

The AV Club finds a bright side: a bunch of video game adaptations are probably definitely dead.

Among the hardest (potentially) hit: The much (and mostly rightly) maligned world of the video game adaptation. Here’s a short list of hypothetical game movies that were reportedly in some level of ill-advised development at Fox (compiled by helpful/obsessive Redditors), any one of which might have brought an unsuspecting movie-goer to their knees had they been unfortunate enough to encounter it in theaters: Assassin’s Creed 2. Another Hitman movie. Mega Man. The Sims. (The Sims doesn’t even have a fucking plot! You’re just watching people do shit, like Big Brother, but without all the racists.)

To be clear, some (and probably a lot) of these movies were never going to made, and had presumably just never been officially cleared off the Fox slate with a press release. And obviously, we’re not saying that it’s good that Disney is casually killing off huge numbers of hypothetical films, because some potential stone classics are going to get caught up in the harvest. (Also, it’s worth remembering that none of these films have been formally canceled even now; they’re just part of a development slate that Disney is performing a widescale dump of/on.) But if it saves us from having to watch a classic video game hero like Mega Man shudder his away across the screen like poor, benighted Sonic, well, hey: That’s a silver lining we can take.

Siphonaptera

up to no good
Validated User
His special effects work is the most immersive blend of real and digital that has made it to film. Things have weight and momentum, look as good as the real things going on around them and blend in with the already existing camera work as if they were there.

I get excited everytime it is mentioned and maybe it will work out post merger, although I hope someone else writes the screenplay.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Cancel everything approved by the guy I replaced" is unfortunately a pretty old tradition in the movie and television world.
I don't think there will ever be a time where I can read this and don't think "will you people ever grow up?", only laced with more profanity and references to either insecurity or a corporate culture that promotes internal dog eat dog. So much energy wasted.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
The movie industry will soon split in two. Big tent-pole blockbusters will go to theaters, and the little things will go to streaming. I’m not sure how it could go any other way at this point.

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The movie industry will soon split in two. Big tent-pole blockbusters will go to theaters, and the little things will go to streaming. I’m not sure how it could go any other way at this point.
I wonder if this isnt such a bad outcome. Let's look at Tentpoles. The more focused studios become to Tentpoles the more theaters can adapt to them and the more Tentpoles cam change as technology advances. Each cam fuel and evolve into something more immersive and scaling. Perhaps VR or more perhaps like those screen coasters I'm amusement parks.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
I wonder if this isnt such a bad outcome. Let's look at Tentpoles. The more focused studios become to Tentpoles the more theaters can adapt to them and the more Tentpoles cam change as technology advances. Each cam fuel and evolve into something more immersive and scaling. Perhaps VR or more perhaps like those screen coasters I'm amusement parks.
I never said it would be a bad thing. Just a change, and one we’ll all have to get used to. Disney’s just slightly ahead of the curve.

Top Bottom